software update on rooted Verizon S4

Shane Hurd

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
My phone keeps popping up a software update for my phone. My question is can I do the update and not have any issues? I'm still running stock rom but have removed numerous apps and bloatware.

hvse06

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I installed the update on my wife's s4. It is rooted. Had no issues. My rooted phone had some frozen bloatware and failed the update.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks thats what I figured. Can I disable the notification

Yes, you can disable it by freezing the update app. Since I don't have the same phone as you, I'd suggest that in order to make sure you are getting the right file you should go over to XDA developer forum and verify. It may be the SDM app. I have a different Samsung phone and that is commonly what you need to freeze on Samsungs but please don't do it without finding out for your specific phone. I'm just telling you about that app in case you have any trouble finding what you need at XDA, you have something to search for then.

CurtCharlesPDX

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon S4 that was rooted running 4.4.2 and NC5. I foolishly accepted the update to NG6 and now I have problems. WiFi passwords aren't retained, and if I turn off WiFi it won't turn on again until I do a "Reset connections". But now, even the "Reset connections' option is missing. And I get a "Security Warning" about every 5 minutes.

I have installed Odin and tried to use it to re-flash an NC5. When I boot to the down-loader I see a "Write protection: Enabled" message. Odin establishes a connection with the phone, downloads the image, and reboots the phone, giving a message "Reset!". After this reset the phone runs for a few minutes, then crashes and reboots, over and over again. If I remove the battery and do a hard factory reset I can restore function, but I'm still at NG6. Is the "Write protection: Enabled" preventing the flash of NC5?

Here's what I want: 4.4.2 with NC5 rooted. (I can use TowelRoot to root NC5, but not NG6)

Help!

Last edited:

bunanson

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
In the same boat, lost root after ota update. Thinking factory reset would make it able to root by towel root again, anyone?

Thanks,

bun

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
In the same boat, lost root after ota update. Thinking factory reset would make it able to root by towel root again, anyone?

Thanks,

bun

Factory reset will not change your firmware version. If you're running a version that does not have root, it won't help. If your version is rootable, then just go through the root process again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech