So if I root my S4, will I be able to use the wifi hotspot on my Verizon S4 without having to pay the extra $20 or $30 per month? I still have a unlimited data plan on Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-31-2015 09:36 AM
    kindof a bump for this and surprised that no one seems to have a yes, no or any clue if it is possible. I know rooting my phone I can get rid of a lot of the bloat ware but anything else about rooting should I be considering?
    02-02-2015 10:40 PM
    Try an app called Hotspot Control by Chainfire. It lets my S4 bypass T-Mobile's crap and have a hotspot for free and it doesn't even use root. But I suggest you root your phone anyways. It Might work for Verizon as well. So far I've heard nothing from T-Mobile, but I've only been using it for a week so far and I don't know whether or not they can tell what im doing. I'll just play dumb. Oh and for some reason you have to enable the hotspot 3 times before it Stays on, but once you get it going it works like a charm .

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-21-2015 03:21 AM
    I just tried that app. I have an older Samsung GS3 I'd like to take to Europe and use as a hotspot. In Italy there is a plan that allows this. It is an ATT phone that I was able to unlock (thanks to some posts here) and now I'm trying to figure out if I can use the mobile hotspot feature. This app does turn the hotspot on - very briefly. Then it goes back off again. I tried several times. It tells me that mobile data isn't available of it's not a good SIM card. The SIM I'm testing it with is for an T-Mobile hot spot. It should be working for data, if not for phone calls.

I don't know if it will work in Italy with a SIM that allows the hotspot feature or not. Would sure like to know before I go.
    03-13-2015 02:27 PM
    I also should have mentioned that you have to freeze Tethering Automation and Tethering provision (but leave the t-mo mobile hot spot app alone) for it to work. after you get the hotspot up briefly, run it again and it will stick the second time.

Also I've been using it and have had a T-mo bill come in and they don't know... it just looks like I used all that data. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-22-2015 11:45 AM