Galaxy s4 to have unbreakable glass!

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
According to Sammobile the galaxy s4 is apparently meant to have unbreakable glass, im not sure whether this means the device will be heavier, more or less responsive. We can only find out.

The galaxy s4 is set to release/announced between February and May 2013!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If it is bullet proof, then functionality of seeing through walls not as effective.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It may very well have unbreakable glass.... however, I am reading a lot about this bendable displays Samsung is apparently going to use.

I don't see the point. I mean, we can make the display as flexible as we want.... but the battery won't be flexible. Neither will the body. Or the circuit board. Or the processor. Or the RAM. Or the camera. Or.... anything else.

Right? Or did I miss a bunch of "bendable" announcements?!

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it means if you sit on it or lean on it the screen will bend slightly and will stop it from breaking but the internals won't be affected'

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think it comes down to being more careful with your device. In the few years I've had Android phones I've never had a busted screen. Yes before you call bull.... I have 5 little kids that toss, throw, drop and fight over my phones daily to play Angry Birds or whatever.. No screen protectors, no cases..

I've had battery covers fly off and batteries eject, removable sdcards pop out but still... running naked and all is good.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it comes down to being more careful with your device. In the few years I've had Android phones I've never had a busted screen. Yes before you call bull.... I have 5 little kids that toss, throw, drop and fight over my phones daily to play Angry Birds or whatever.. No screen protectors, no cases..

I've had battery covers fly off and batteries eject, removable sdcards pop out but still... running naked and all is good.

That is called "luck." I had a person that told me they just nicked it with their seatbelt and the whole screen cracked. You can drop your phone a thousand times, but it takes that ONE time that it hits just right (more likely to happen than you think) for the phone to be completely broken, or the screen to be completely cracked. I have a screen protector on mine, no case since I like the way my phone looks.

I have not broken a phone in 5 years, and the one I did break was not a smartphone, it was a little flip phone I had a while back. Even so, I always carry insurance on the device because I know that it could take that ONE time for me to just break it and have to spend $500+ dollars on the new device.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It may very well have unbreakable glass.... however, I am reading a lot about this bendable displays Samsung is apparently going to use.

I don't see the point. I mean, we can make the display as flexible as we want.... but the battery won't be flexible. Neither will the body. Or the circuit board. Or the processor. Or the RAM. Or the camera. Or.... anything else.

I'm sure that the body of the phone will be made of bendable plastic too like the back of the note 2 (I think?). So even though the battery and the components inside won't be flexible it will still mean that the phone won't be as rigid, which will make it less prone to breakage. Even if the glass has the tiniest bit of room to flex it would reduce the chance of breakage tremendously.

Might not sound like it makes a difference but if at the molecular level, the molecules in the glass have a chance to move and conform with the energy of a fall to the ground, or like another user said someone sitting on the phone. It will suffer much then damage than something that is in one rigid piece...

At least that's how I see it. Hope that made sense.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
That is called "luck."
I have a screen protector on mine, no case since I like the way my phone looks.

Really? Are you female? You "Like the way your phone looks" so you are willing to give up the protection of a case? You can't find a case you think looks good? The first thing I did when I got my Galaxy S3 was buy and Otterbox Defender for it. THAT is my insurance policy!

techjunkie92

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I will believe it when I see it. If it truly is then I will buy one just to tear the phone apart. I have repair a good amount of phones and Samsung would be idiots to make the glass unbreakable because then they will stop making money. No one will want a phone that doesn't have that type of glass on it. It is a lose lose situation for all parties involved.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

You must have because Samsung announced their new "Youm" glass at CES. The can wrap this glass and curve it to let you see the screen from the side etc. It's not so much for making the phone bendy but allows you to shape the display.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I will believe it when I see it. If it truly is then I will buy one just to tear the phone apart. I have repair a good amount of phones and Samsung would be idiots to make the glass unbreakable because then they will stop making money. No one will want a phone that doesn't have that type of glass on it. It is a lose lose situation for all parties involved.

If the glass is proprietary, they could make up their loss in the repair market with supplying their glass to other manufacturers

techjunkie92

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily. If its unbreakable then the repair world will not make money. The repair companies won't be able to make profit, which would bring unemployment and economic loss in all aspects of the world.

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. If its unbreakable then the repair world will not make money. The repair companies won't be able to make profit, which would bring unemployment and economic loss in all aspects of the world.

Honestly, if you're in the repair business, you have to see the writing on the wall at some point. Consumers don't like their devices breaking and needing repair, so less breakable devices should sell better. Assuming that to be the case, your scenario would be accurate, assuming that those affected choose not to see what's coming down the pipeline and prepare for it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm