Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I doubt they will do something that drastic this year, but they are moving away from Android since Google acquired Motorola.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I doubt they will do something that drastic this year, but they are moving away from Android since Google acquired Motorola.

I don't think they are moving away from Android. What they are doing is hedging their bets. If at some point down the line Google does the unthinkable and starts to give preferential treatment to Moto, so much so that they are greatly disadvantaging all other OEMs then Samsung does not want to be without options. Frankly it would irresponsible of Samsung not to be preparing for this contingency, they have too much riding on their mobile division.

With that said, if Google continues to play fair, I believe Samsung will continue to use Android into the foreseeable future.

Oh and on a side note, that article is trash. There premise is completely based on opinion. "Samsung is expected to shift to its new Tizen OS and move away from its dependency on Android this year" Where did they get this from? They made a leap from Samsung working to incorporate Tizen OS into their lineup to Samsung moving away from Android. And then the video they link (which was a fan concept Render) even states the GS4 using "Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie". Anyways, in the future don't go to The Christian Post for your tech news.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
If the S4 didnt run Android Samsung will lose a good chunk of its business. I mean, in places like Korea and stuff it'll probably sell just as well, but in the US and EU? Doubt it. Believe it or not many people buy Android Phones because they are Android. Samsung wouldnt do it this early. In fact, i dont see this happening until Tizen has a comparable app market. I'd make a guess and say the LAST phones Samsung will switch to Tizen will be its Galaxy Line.

moorken

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Tizen will still need a couple of months to be completed, i think the release of the GS4 is too close to launch Tizen with it. maybe on the GS5?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Tizen is down the road, IMHO. 4.2 Key Lime Pie OS is most likely in the US GS4.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you want to run Android apps, why would you use a non-Android phone running some compatibility software on top of it?

The point is, if Tizen runs Android apps who's gonna know the difference?!? The people on Android forums might but that is tiny percent. The majority of Galaxy customers go into the store, tell the sales guy they want that "New Galaxy S4". The store switches them over and they give no more thought about it.

At most the typical customer might ask, "Is this an Android phone?" and the response will be, "Yeah, it runs Android apps." and that will be it.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The point is, if Tizen runs Android apps who's gonna know the difference?!? The people on Android forums might but that is tiny percent. The majority of Galaxy customers go into the store, tell the sales guy they want that "New Galaxy S4". The store switches them over and they give no more thought about it.

At most the typical customer might ask, "Is this an Android phone?" and the response will be, "Yeah, it runs Android apps." and that will be it.

I don't know anything about Tizen, but I'd be surprised if it ran Android apps as well as an Android phone. Anytime you're running apps in some sort of virtual machine there's bound to be issues with apps not working or not working correctly.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

And where will they get their apps from? Highly doubtful that Google would allow the Play store on a Tizen phone.

Bottom line: Samsung isn't going to have the S4 running Tizen. It's ridiculous to think that they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.