Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This is actually a very valid point. I mean it was supported by Microsoft. The shaker of markets. It had a much better chance than tizen does now and look at it where it ended up...

Sent from my SCH-I535

This is so much win that this should end the thread, period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Rob F1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
First off..

Android Apps will port easily to Tizen. So the Tizen store could grow faster then Google Play initially did.

Enter Tizen, the pliable OS. Samsung and Intel may be spearheading its development, but they?ve been joined by a conglomeration of Asian telecoms, including Huawei (SHE:002502), KT Corporation (NYSE:KT), NTT Docomo (NYSE:DCM), and SK Telecom (NYSE:SKM). These firms have their thumbs to the wind ? and their noses to profit ? and it?s leading them away from Google. Tizen --due to ship on Samsung devices later this year -- will retain Android?s more desirable features, like the low price tag and the cross-compatibility between markets, but it will also leave room for regional adaptation, and allow for synergy with a wide range of content providers. Its similarity to Android means that applications will port easily. With Samsung?s size, the company shouldn?t have much difficulty convincing developers to make that happen.

1) Tizen is well-supported. Tizen is steered primarily by Samsung & Intel, and the Tizen Association (formerly LiMo Foundation), all under the umbrella of the Linux Foundation. The Tizen Association counts Fujitsu, Huawei, Orange, Panasonic, Sprint, and Vodafone among its members.

2) Tizen is compatible with HTML5. Poor app ecosystems doomed many mobile Linux platforms, and certainly played a role in the downfall of BlackBerry and the tepid acceptance of earlier Windows Phones. HTML5 compatibility will give Tizen users access to a wide range of apps without the need to address the challenge of attracting native app developers.

3) The Android brand is no longer as important. Samsung, the leading manufacturer (#1) of Android-based smartphones, rarely uses the word ?Android? in its advertisements anymore. Check it out for yourself on the company?s newly launched Galaxy S4 page. Not a single reference to Android on the entire site. I don?t think it?s too far-fetched to read to read between the lines?
SAMSUNG's Digital World...

4) Samsung is poised to ditch Android. Despite being the Android leader, Samsung has never fully committed to the platform. The company has seemingly always been in search of a strong alternative, having at different times dabbled with bada, MeeGo, Windows, and now Tizen. Between some of the legal headaches associated with the use of Android (Apple lawsuits, the ?Microsoft Tax,? etc.) and Google?s acquisition of a top competitor (Motorola Mobility), Samsung appears more eager than ever to move on

After Google planted the mole in Apple's board of directors during the planning of the first iPhone and stealing their ideas it seems sorta surreal to see Samsung sorta doing the same thing to Google ? Samsung has their iPhone and now has their own Android ...

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So the Tizen Association consists of companies running in the red, nice.

If a giant like Microsoft can't get windows mobile os off the ground we'll see what happens with samsung. We're seeing cracks in the Apple jugernaught so who knows.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think samsung would be stupid enough to drop android. It's like if PCs dropped windows. Or apple dropped ios

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Google just fired Andy Rubin and merged Android into its Chrome OS division, headed by that ectomorphic Indian guy. Google's plan for Android is just for it to be subsumed into Chrome. Google's lost control of Android, and giving Android over to the Indian Chrome guy is Google's way of saying enough is enough with Andy Rubin's loser strategy.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Google just fired Andy Rubin and merged Android into its Chrome OS division, headed by that ectomorphic Indian guy. Google's plan for Android is just for it to be subsumed into Chrome. Google's lost control of Android, and giving Android over to the Indian Chrome guy is Google's way of saying enough is enough with Andy Rubin's loser strategy.

Andy Rubin Fired? where are you getting this info?

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Rob F1 above is dead on on multiple points. First, Google services mean sh** in Asia. Your beloved Google services don't even exist in the biggest so-called Android market in the world, China. These Asians prefer Baidu, Qihoo, Sohou, etc. and their local services to Google's services, which they consider stupid US spyware anyway. Tizen is much more customizable for these Asian markets without all the irrelevant US Google spyware pre-installed. Second, Android would have 1% market share were it not for Samsung's unrivaled manufacturing capacity and expertise and its $15 billion a year marketing budget, which is almost 5 times bigger than Apple's. Unlike Microsoft, Google's own Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony, etc., Samsung has PROVEN its ability to dominate in the mobile world. Third, it is the irony of ironies that Samsung should now steal Google's Android ecosystem away from Google just as Android stole its basic concept from iOS. Google made a deal with the Devil when it partnered with Samsung, and Samsung basically used Google for the past 5 years just like it used Apple to first learn manufacturing and then move into software and services, which will all go into its launching Tizen several months from now. Samsung just announced its clone of Google Play three days ago and, unsurprisingly, it looks like an exact copy of Google Play selling Android apps for use on both legacy Android and new Tizen phones by Samsung. New Galaxy S4 buyers and current Samsung phone owners will be directed there instead of Google Play. I'm definitely sure Google is not pleased about this, but as I said, Google made a deal with the Devil.

Last edited:

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Android team and Chrome OS team have been fighting for the past 2 years, according to the Wall Street Journal. Android team didn't even want to allow Chrome browser on Android. But Chrome OS won the war, and Rubin is out with no longer anything to do with Android. The Indian Chrome OS head has been given the Android division. More importantly, Google lost control of Android worldwide so this was bound to happen. Despite Android's 75% market share, Google makes more money from iOS users than Android users. So Rubin got axed. The Indian guy is tasked with regaining control over Android by absorbing it into Chrome OS, over which Google has much more direct control. It's a three-way ecosystem war now between Samsung and Google and Apple. Each wants to control both its own hardware and software, which any person could have seen coming. But Google will fail because duopolies tend to persist and Google has no manufacturing experience and its Motorola is a constant joke. Even the maker of the Nexus 4, LG, doesn't cooperate in increasing production because the Nexus competes with LG's own phones. Where's Google going to get its manufacturing capacity to compete on a large scale? Samsung holds all the cards and will smash Google like some crunchy beetle.

Last edited:

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The name of the Chrome OS boss who now controls Android is Sundar Pichai. He has an MS from Stanford and an MBA from Wharton.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Im pretty sure it doesnt say anywhere that he was fired or (Axed) it kind of leaves anything else you say lacking credibility. Just saying

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The friction between the Android and Chrome OS teams was well-known, and it's clear who came out on top--Sundar, not Andy. Heck, they completely gave Android to the Chrome OS boss with Rubin nowhere in sight, which means this wasn't just a simple firing but reflects an entire new strategic direction for Android as it gets subsumed into Chrome OS. Andy didn't wake up one day and say to himself 1) Android should be absorbed into Chrome OS, 2) my enemy Sundar Pichai should be the new boss of the combined Chrome/Android unit instead of me, and 3) I'm no longer the guy to run Android which I personally founded and which is my baby. The WSJ article also said Larry Page saw Chrome OS as being much more the sine qua non or core of Google and minimized Android's importance to Google's long-term future.

Last edited:

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Considering I have a subscription to the Wallstreet Journal please enlighten me as to where I can find the article.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Andy Rubin Fired? where are you getting this info?

He's clearly getting his info from Robert Scoble who's nothing more than a hack gossip columnist.

Please stop trying to quote phantom articles that aren't there.

Andy Rubin was never fired and still works for Google and is instead working on a project tied to Android Os and not directly Android. You can take that to the bank.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Lol, I found zipperaroo's doppelganger over at Neowin and their article on Tizen. Either he is also the user pgn or he copy and pastes the guys stuff from over there to here. http://www.neowin.net/news/samsungs-tizen-phone-coming-later-this-year-threat-to-windows-phone

Scroll down to the comments and you'll see the exact same trolling garbage. Here's something productive, start a tizen forum like here that sells t shirts and hats and other stuff then you can make money without trolling.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This is what happens when you answer them.

Look, I can even find faults in Android without resorting to false information and half baked blogs. Please try to provide actual facts as about 98% of the garbage this guy is spewing can proven wrong. Sure there are problems with the OS and if Google doesn't fix them and evolve then they will go the way of Blackberry.

Not one OS is safe not even the mighty iOS which has shown cracks over the past year or so. This is why we have industry competition to hopefully push the other guy to be better. If not then *poof*.

I have really no loyalty I use what works and what I like at the moment. My wife and I were with the iPhone since it came out in 07 and just last year ditched it. We are willing to do the same if Android stops working for us. I don't need to troll the iOS boards every single day spewing garbage, thats just stupid and unproductive.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Look, I can even find faults in Android without resorting to false information and half baked blogs. Please try to provide actual facts as about 98% of the garbage this guy is spewing can proven wrong. Sure there are problems with the OS and if Google doesn't fix them and evolve then they will go the way of Blackberry.

Not one OS is safe not even the mighty iOS which has shown cracks over the past year or so. This is why we have industry competition to hopefully push the other guy to be better. If not then *poof*.

I have really no loyalty I use what works and what I like at the moment. My wife and I were with the iPhone since it came out in 07 and just last year ditched it. We are willing to do the same if Android stops working for us. I don't need to troll the iOS boards every single day spewing garbage, thats just stupid and unproductive.

Did you quote the wrong person?

You're seeing his garbage because people keep answering his troll posts. He is making a mockery of everyone in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon