05-15-2013 08:09 PM
112 ... 2345
tools
    Yes, but that's a fairly small group, so it's not necessarily worth Sammy's time to make it so. as a separate option, and it isnt in their best interests to do it for the whole line. (Mind you, I'm one of that small group myself.)
    I agree with you. I just think the statement should be qualified with the facts of the matter:

(1) If you want stock Android, you will buy stock Android.

(2) If you want Samsung, you will buy Samsung.

Stock Android will drive Google device sales, while Samsung will drive Samsung's.

To patently say that stock Android will not drive sales is way too overbroad IMO.
    03-06-2013 05:37 PM
    It is if you want stock Android.
    Sure. If that's the one thing you're looking for, then yes, it is a sales driver for you.

But my point is, stock Android does not equal sales. If stock Android was truly a sales driver, the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 4 would all be top-selling Android devices. They're not. Motorola probably sold more Motorola DROIDs and Milestones (the original, A855, A854, A853 models) than those four Nexus phones combined. Samsung has probably sold more Galaxy S3s than all Nexus phones combined.

It's all relative and there are probably numbers that back up my assumption that stock Android is not a major sales driver for the Android phone ecosystem.
    03-06-2013 05:42 PM
    Sure. If that's the one thing you're looking for, then yes, it is a sales driver for you.

But my point is, stock Android does not equal sales. If stock Android was truly a sales driver, the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 4 would all be top-selling Android devices. They're not. Motorola probably sold more Motorola DROIDs and Milestones (the original, A855, A854, A853 models) than those four Nexus phones combined. Samsung has probably sold more Galaxy S3s than all Nexus phones combined.

It's all relative and there are probably numbers that back up my assumption that stock Android is not a major sales driver for the Android phone ecosystem.
    No doubt. But I'd be hesitant to say that stock Android itself is not the reason behind such figures .
    03-06-2013 05:46 PM
    I agree with you. I just think the statement should be qualified with the facts of the matter:

(1) If you want stock Android, you will buy stock Android.

(2) If you want Samsung, you will buy Samsung.

Stock Android will drive Google device sales, while Samsung will drive Samsung's.

To patently say that stock Android will not drive sales is way too overbroad IMO.
    Ah I see what you mean. Although the choice isn't quite the same. Take us VZW customers. I can't sacrifice the network which works for me, and I also cant get a new stock android device. SO, While I want stock, I'll end up with somethine else.

Good point, but availability and not top end hardware also hurt nexus device sales. It'd be nice to see an actual even match, although I think the advertising alone would still keep Sammy in the lead.
    03-06-2013 05:47 PM
    Ah I see what you mean. Although the choice isn't quite the same. Take us VZW customers. I can't sacrifice the network which works for me, and I also cant get a new stock android device. SO, While I want stock, I'll end up with somethine else.

Good point, but availability and not top end hardware also hurt nexus device sales. It'd be nice to see an actual even match, although I think the advertising alone would still keep Sammy in the lead.
    Other than perhaps storage and maybe camera, the Nexus 4 is as best as anything else out there currently IMO.

And BTW, i'm probably in the same boat you are with Verizon...
    03-06-2013 05:49 PM
    Other than perhaps storage and maybe camera, the Nexus 4 is as best as anything else out there currently IMO.

And BTW, i'm probably in the same boat you are with Verizon...
    Camera is one of the biggest things for the average consumer in my experience. And this is the frst time a nexus has been that close, besides the nexus 1.
    03-06-2013 05:51 PM
    Camera is one of the biggest things for the average consumer in my experience. And this is the frst time a nexus has been that close, besides the nexus 1.
    The GN had an outstanding screen and a decent processor when released. Wasn't groundbreaking, but it wasn't behind by any stretch of the means.
    03-06-2013 05:55 PM
    The GN had an outstanding screen and a decent processor when released. Wasn't groundbreaking, but it wasn't behind by any stretch of the means.
    And a craptacular camera.

Besides the fact that for the price, the GNex at release should have been top notch in every area.
    03-06-2013 06:04 PM
    And a craptacular camera.

Besides the fact that for the price, the GNex at release should have been top notch in every area.
    It was with software, and arguably with screen. The rest, sans the camera, it was equal to everything else out there.

Check the Verge review. At the time, in that context, it was a phenomenal device.
    03-06-2013 06:07 PM
    I'm sure eventually someone will make it so you can root the S4 and then flash stock Android onto it. Just like the S3?
    03-06-2013 06:10 PM
    I'm not a big fan of touchwiz so........I think stock Android would be nice option on the S4
    Im not a fan of Touchwiz as a launcher but i like the rest of it. You will miss some things from TW if you had a Nexus 4 for example so since i use Apex and Nova launchers, i would like to have TW on the GS4

Sent from my GS3
    03-06-2013 06:10 PM
    It was with software, and arguably with screen. The rest, sans the camera, it was equal to everything else out there.

Check the Verge review. At the time, in that context, it was a phenomenal device.
    I've got one, so I don't need a review :P but if you were comparing the sales making features, consider that most of the GNex life, it was priced even with the GS3 and One X. Stock android on the NEx wasn't going to overcome the disparity for most people. The big advantage was Google launching in the off season for smartphones.
    03-06-2013 06:11 PM
    I've got one, so I don't need a review :P but if you were comparing the sales making features, consider that most of the GNex life, it was priced even with the GS3 and One X. Stock android on the NEx wasn't going to overcome the disparity for most people. The big advantage was Google launching in the off season for smartphones.
    Well the review really puts it in perspective. Remember, One X and GS3 came after. So really, you're right--when it was launched, in the "off season"--it was probably the best option out there. It launching with an advanced OS didn't hurt its staying power either.

Other than the camera and battery life I don't think the GN has many, if any, glaring flaws. But that's just my opinion .
    03-06-2013 06:13 PM
    Well the review really puts it in perspective. Remember, One X and GS3 came after. So really, you're right--when it was launched, in the "off season"--it was probably the best option out there. It launching with an advanced OS didn't hurt its staying power either.

Other than the camera and battery life I don't think the GN has many, if any, glaring flaws. But that's just my opinion .
    No, it's not terrible. I've managed to deal with it this long :-) Now, if only VZW can score something worth buying to replace it. I've been dying for something new!
    03-06-2013 06:18 PM
    No, it's not terrible. I've managed to deal with it this long :-) Now, if only VZW can score something worth buying to replace it. I've been dying for something new!
    They won't. Their CDMA insistence and the stupid DROID branding hurts them more than it helps (from my perspective ).
    03-06-2013 06:19 PM
    They won't. Their CDMA insistence and the stupid DROID branding hurts them more than it helps (from my perspective ).
    They were close with the Razr MAXX HD. Camera made me hold off on that one. That was actually as close to ideal as I can probably ecpect from them. (At least for what I want)
    03-06-2013 06:23 PM
    They were close with the Razr MAXX HD. Camera made me hold off on that one. That was actually as close to ideal as I can probably ecpect from them. (At least for what I want)
    Meh, their radios and battery life are fantastic. Screen and the rest of it though? Not so much. At least the newer blur is less...intrusive.
    03-06-2013 06:24 PM
    Meh, their radios and battery life are fantastic. Screen and the rest of it though? Not so much. At least the newer blur is less...intrusive.
    Yea, bad screen hurt too. But the advantage to the phone, when it comes down to it, radio and battery are the absolute two most important things for it to work at all. So, at least they got that right.
    03-06-2013 06:26 PM
    Sales numbers comparing Samsung Android devices vs. Nexus-branded devices beg to differ.
    Its amazing how billions of dollars can affect buying decisions isn't it?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    03-06-2013 06:55 PM

That's marketing for you.
    03-06-2013 07:24 PM
    I want touchwiz. If I want stock, i would get a nexus. Touchwiz offers more features and widgets that makes it convenient for me. Also the hardware in these phones have the resource to run the extra layers of software.

Tapatalked from the 3rd galaxy
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    03-06-2013 07:40 PM

Of course.

But please don't make it sound like the Samsung devices are inherently bad products.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-06-2013 11:30 PM
    I want touchwiz. If I want stock, i would get a nexus. Touchwiz offers more features and widgets that makes it convenient for me. Also the hardware in these phones have the resource to run the extra layers of software.

Tapatalked from the 3rd galaxy
    Oh no don't say that. Its not cool and you gotta want something that's not already on there and have to be different. Its almost against the law to like tw, blur, etc.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    charlie hustle likes this.
    03-13-2013 04:30 PM
    I actually like Samsung additional features. However, I wish they used no skins. Just add those extras on top of stock Android.
    I agree with this. Get rid of the skin and terrible app icons but leave the cool features and I'll consider it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    03-13-2013 04:46 PM
    Would never consider using touchwiz, im not a 12 yr old girl, camon samsung get with it, thats why i will only buy this once cm10 is out for it

Sent from my Nexus 4
    03-13-2013 04:56 PM
112 ... 2345