Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No. I wouldn't.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't either because some of the Touchwiz features are what makes Galaxies so awesome and unique. I would however, love them to improve the "look" of Touchwiz. It can look a bit cartoonish at times.

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Touchwiz, Sense, Motoblur etc are great mainstream consumer friendly UIs. Stock Android is really for purest which is minority and so a S4 with stock android would be going backwards for Samsung. Not to say I would not love the HTC M7 with stock android but no for majority and for sales would not be best. Stock android is for the Nexus line or Google's select devices.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see the stock look with all of Touchwiz's enhancements and additions. Call it out HoloWiz or whatever.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If it's not stock, it's not worth buying.

This is the exact attitude that confuses me so much. What is so bad about extra features? I wish I could get a non-nexus phone at a nexus price because they come with better features. Most of them are even hackable anyway if people are into that, so what would it matter that it wasn't a nexus? I suppose there are software updates, but it's not as if people not using the latest software have a miserable experience.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I think what many fail to realize is that to the OEMs, those custom UIs are part of their branding. Samsung doesn't care if you want an Android phone, they want you to want a Samsung phone. They use their custom UI to change the look and feel of the UI as well add their own special features (whether or not those features are actually useful are up for debate) -- it is what is meant to set their phones apart from the competition, whether that competition be Apple making iOS device or HTC making Android devices.

Notice on the S3 commercials that ran so much recently, they focus almost exclusively on features that part of Touchwiz and things unique to the S3, but never really mention any common Android features at all (even if they are awesome).

I wouldn't either because some of the Touchwiz features are what makes Galaxies so awesome and unique. I would however, love them to improve the "look" of Touchwiz. It can look a bit cartoonish at times.

Tom

This quote above is a perfect example of my point -- a person who recognizes that the features of TouchWiz are exclusive to Samsung phones -- and a person who has a positive experience with one brand is more likely to buy that brand again.

FWIW, I actually don't think that recent versions are TW are that "cartoonish" at all (since ICS), but I did feel that way about some their older iterations.

I also used to think that Sense was by and large the best OEM UI out there...but since then it seems like HTC has gotten lazy and failed to really improve it at the rate of it's competitors, and could be a reason why they aren't the cream of the Android crop any more.

Whether you like them, hate them, or are just willing to tolerate them, the custom UIs aren't going anywhere for a while, because the OEMs have no reason at all to want to get rid of them. I personally love Nexus devices and have owned a few of them; I also love my Galaxy S3 (it helps that I'm rooted and can do what I want with it). I'm not trying to argue whether stock Android is better or not, I'm just sharing my 2? on why I don't think it matters to the OEMs what we think.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have used a G1,Thunderbolt and currently have a G3 and Nexus 7. So I have experience with stock android when first came out and what it has become today. I have experience all the downsides with OEM IUs over stock android with the Thunderbolt. The downsides being delays on latest update and android slow because of the OEM UIs. Then I have currently the best example OEM UI with the GS3. Now with all that said love it it hate Android has become popular and grown because OEM UIs over stock android.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, if the next Galaxy was running stock Android, what would be a single advantage it could have over a Nexus or any other stock Android device. As some reviewers are noting, gone are the days of buying phones based on their hardware, now phones have to sell themselves with software features.

Tom

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This thread is going the opposite direction I anticipated...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I'm glad.

It shows that there are people that actually get it.

"Stock" Android is not a sales driver. Regular consumers couldn't care any less.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, if the next Galaxy was running stock Android, what would be a single advantage it could have over a Nexus or any other stock Android device. As some reviewers are noting, gone are the days of buying phones based on their hardware, now phones have to sell themselves with software features.

Tom

Yup.

example: a Galaxy S IV running stock Android wouldn't have S-Voice and multiview.

If you really don't care for those features, you really shouldn't buy that device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles