Would you like stock android on the S4?

Good OL MC

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
To answer the question:

Of course I would! Or at least the option to switch to stock. But...

Stock Android is really good and I personally prefer Nexus devices, but that is because I am an Android fan. Samsung's business model is to make people want Samsung phones - not Android phones. This has led to some cool stuff like the Note and split screen viewing on the Note and S3 that we wouldn't have otherwise. It is important to think of anything non-Nexus not as Google/Android phones but as part of the Android extended family. That is after all part of what makes the entire system so compelling.

GopherDroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is the exact attitude that confuses me so much. What is so bad about extra features?

The fact that you have to root and install a custom ROM if you don't want them. It's more annoying than PC bloat ware, which is at least easy enough to uninstall. When you buy a phone you should buy just the hardware, the teleco should be just a dumb pipe with no contract, and any software should be gotten from the play store or side loaded

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The fact that you have to root and install a custom ROM if you don't want them. It's more annoying than PC bloat ware, which is at least easy enough to uninstall. When you buy a phone you should buy just the hardware, the teleco should be just a dumb pipe with no contract, and any software should be gotten from the play store or side loaded

If you remove carrier bloatware from the Galaxy S3, you'd still have a Samsung TouchWiz Android device.

S-voice isn't bloatware.
Neither is multi view.

You don't want em? Don't buy a TouchWiz phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Yup.

example: a Galaxy S IV running stock Android wouldn't have S-Voice and multiview.

If you really don't care for those features, you really shouldn't buy that device.

Comparing the field of current flagships, there would be other reasons one might want Samsung hardware, but still prefer the stock software. Camera being a big one.

If the argument is that Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone, then you could also argue that having at least an easy option to install a stock ROM from the manufacturer, or buy one direct from them that had only the stock OS would be good. Then you cover both sides, with little work, as Stock would obviously work already, and the person still bought a Samsung phone.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Comparing the field of current flagships, there would be other reasons one might want Samsung hardware, but still prefer the stock software. Camera being a big one.

If the argument is that Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone, then you could also argue that having at least an easy option to install a stock ROM from the manufacturer, or buy one direct from them that had only the stock OS would be good. Then you cover both sides, with little work, as Stock would obviously work already, and the person still bought a Samsung phone.

I certainly don't disagree that boot loaders should come unlocked and root access should be easily obtained, which would all folks more freedom to control their own Android device. I don't see Samsung necessarily providing the software, but if there were to say provide the necessary components (i.e. drivers) to allow you flash stock Android, that would be pretty sweet. Do I see it happening? No. I also agree that carrier or OEM "bloatware" should be easily uninstall-able.

The counterpoint to this is, however, is that people expect to buy phones are greatly reduced subsidized prices and get full support from their carrier, which is why they are inclined to lock the devices down. Technically, if you buy a phone at a discounted 2-year contract price, you're essentially renting-to-own.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The argument is that Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone and Samsung also wants your next phone to be a Samsung phone. They probably want you to have a Samsung tablet too.

If the user experience is identical to everyone else, your next is less likely to be a Samsung phone.

Again, stock Android isn't a sales driver.

And the existence of TouchWiz (and Sense, and MotoBlur) are very much in the spirit of Android.

Last edited:

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you guys not realized all the pointless threads this guy continues to make.... Its over and over with this same guy. GTFO the forums with this crap.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I would love a de facto S4 Nexus, regardless of how it's branded.

I wouldn't consider a device with Touchwhiz, Blur, etc on it unless there's a way to easily rip it out.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Stock Android is better on anything imo. I just don't like skins at all I'm finding.

They add alot more features, but I'd rather just customize android myself with stuff from the play Store.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I certainly don't disagree that boot loaders should come unlocked and root access should be easily obtained, which would all folks more freedom to control their own Android device. I don't see Samsung necessarily providing the software, but if there were to say provide the necessary components (i.e. drivers) to allow you flash stock Android, that would be pretty sweet. Do I see it happening? No. I also agree that carrier or OEM "bloatware" should be easily uninstall-able.

The counterpoint to this is, however, is that people expect to buy phones are greatly reduced subsidized prices and get full support from their carrier, which is why they are inclined to lock the devices down. Technically, if you buy a phone at a discounted 2-year contract price, you're essentially renting-to-own.

I don't mind the subsidized pricing on phones as it means that I don't have to pay $700 up front for a top of the line device. Why would I buy a phone if I weren't going to pay a monthly fee for service as well. It is a wash.

As for Nexus devices, Google sells them at a loss, we all know they do. I don't think the addition of touchwiz on a galaxy s3 is going to make the phone cost the $700 retail price.

Besides, Nexus devices in my opinion are just beta devices for Google. Here is the next version of the OS, test it for us and send in complaints so we can roll out bug fixes. Don't forget that for every Nexus and other Android device sold, Google makes money from search and ads.

To get back to the topic at hand, no, I would not like to see the S4 with vanilla Android. Touchwiz has become a staple for Samsung and has turned their devices into game changers. Other OEM's as mentioned previously have done the same. Samsung has just apparently done it better and can be seen in their market share for galaxy devices.

The real question would be if it will have Touchwiz, or their own OS that has been rumored to appear on a device this year, possibly replacing Android altogether.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I will say touchwiz has evolved nicely. When I play with a galaxy s or note it still feels like android, yet compliments it. Sharp contrast to sense that if not for play Store access would feel like another operating system.

I don't really expect any manufacturer to drop their skins anytime soon but I would like a few more pure Google phones to go around.

I just hope Samsung drops the damn menu button in favor of a recent tasks button. The menu button is becoming more and more useless as developers update their apps to the holo ui standards, doesn't make sense that phones like the gs3 and Optimus g still have it

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just hope Samsung drops the damn menu button in favor of a recent tasks button. The menu button is becoming more and more useless as developers update their apps to the holo ui standards, doesn't make sense that phones like the gs3 and Optimus g still have it

Doubt that will happen this year, based on the 8" Note leak.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of touchwiz so........I think stock Android would be nice option on the S4:)

Honestly, i couldnt care less. Im running nova launcher on my s3 its zippy, fast. Its exactly stock android and i get to keep all goodies of tw. Android is CUSTOMIZABLE PEOPLE!. That the beauty of android

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if other OEMs ever did this, but LG used to release phones that had stock Froyo and then Gingerbread AND their custom launcher both available. You could toggle between launchers in settings, very similarly to how you do so now once you have set a preferred launcher. At the time I didn't think much of it, but I do recall that which widgets you could use was affected, however back then there weren't any LG specific features that I remember. While I'd love to see other OEM's approach that concept again, I think it'd be really hard for SAMSUNG, etc to be motivated to modify their custom features with a stock look just to fit the minority of the crowd like me that just wants to nerd over stuff like that.