S4 will using snapdragon 600 CPU?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Well for battery life it will have to be the Exynos Octa, but then also seeing how well 4 A15 cores do (tegra 4) ill have to go with exynos in terms of performance.

However the 600 its a fantastic chip dont get me wrong but for CPU it has to be Arm and Samsung with its Big.Little.

Now gpu, its defo qualcomm on this, the exynos octa is apparently meant to use power vr 543, one problem is that its an old gpu and there are other competitors out there that thrash that gpu. The gpu isnt even open gl3.0 like tegra 4 and adreno 320/330.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well for battery life it will have to be the Exynos Octa, but then also seeing how well 4 A15 cores do (tegra 4) ill have to go with exynos in terms of performance.

However the 600 its a fantastic chip dont get me wrong but for CPU it has to be Arm and Samsung with its Big.Little.

Now gpu, its defo qualcomm on this, the exynos octa is apparently meant to use power vr 543, one problem is that its an old gpu and there are other competitors out there that thrash that gpu. The gpu isnt even open gl3.0 like tegra 4 and adreno 320/330.

I respectfully disagree. :) I'm not so sure the Octa will be best in any one area, but I also think that it won't be worst, either (ok, ok, maybe in the GPU department).

EGill#WP

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Until benchmarks are released, I think I would take the 600 over the Exynos. I imagine that all this big little stuff is more marketing than anything else, and Qualcomm dynamically controls the power each core uses. Sure, the Exynos might be a little more powerful, but software isn't even coming close to keeping up with hardware advances. In other words, I really doubt the difference will have any meaning.

So I expect that with real world usage, Qualcomm is the winner.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much all mobile processors are crazy fast at the moment. What about Adreno 320 vs. Adreno 330 vs. iPhone 5 GPU?

Iphone 5 gpu isnt that good, compared to the adreno 320 it isnt thay good. Its only good on the iphone because it hasnt got to power as many pixels as many new handsets now. Adreno 330 will probably slaughter the i5

Faux Carnival

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Iphone 5 gpu isnt that good, compared to the adreno 320 it isnt thay good. Its only good on the iphone because it hasnt got to power as many pixels as many new handsets now. Adreno 330 will probably slaughter the i5

Ah ok then. I thought iPhone 5 had the best GPU by far. At least, this is what tech blogs write. Now I understand.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. :) I'm not so sure the Octa will be best in any one area, but I also think that it won't be worst, either (ok, ok, maybe in the GPU department).

Kevin, its official with the power vr 544 now :( heres the proof on Antutu
uploadfromtaptalk1362333328012.jpguploadfromtaptalk1362333337550.jpguploadfromtaptalk1362333348793.jpg

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Kevin, its official with the power vr 544 now :( heres the proof on Antutu

While it is still rumor vs rumor on whether we'll get Snapdragon 600 or Exynos 5 Octa (or both) in the S4, it does look like a solid bet that the 544 is in the Exynos 5 Octa. Oh well. Can't understand why it wasn't the 554...but maybe that'll come in an Exynos 5.1 Octa a few months down the road lol

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
While it is still rumor vs rumor on whether we'll get Snapdragon 600 or Exynos 5 Octa (or both) in the S4, it does look like a solid bet that the 544 is in the Exynos 5 Octa. Oh well. Can't understand why it wasn't the 554...but maybe that'll come in an Exynos 5.1 Octa a few months down the road lol

I give up with Samsung, just can't seem to get a good gpu, I mean top end like 554 or Adreno 320

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
While I understand the sgx544 is an old gpu has anyone actually looked at the performance of the iPhone 5 compared to the HTC one. Specifically the off screen test The iphone does just about as well but then again it's using a 3 core gpu as apposed to the 4 core gpu this will use. While I'm not saying the 544 is the best thing since sliced bread but it's not bad like most try to make it out to be.
Edit
And I'm not totally sure the exynos powered s4 will come With a sgx544 it could have been a test model to see the difference in performance between it and the arm gpu. Either way I want a snapdragon powered one I think the big little thing is overrated just give me 4 a15 cores and call it a day

Last edited:

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
While I understand the sgx544 is an old gpu has anyone actually looked at the performance of the iPhone 5 compared to the HTC one. Specifically the off screen test The iphone does just about as well but then again it's using a 3 core gpu as apposed to the 4 core gpu this will use. While I'm not saying the 544 is the best thing since sliced bread but it's not bad like most try to make it out to be.
Edit
And I'm not totally sure the exynos powered s4 will come With a sgx544 it could have been a test model to see the difference in performance between it and the arm gpu. Either way I want a snapdragon powered one I think the big little thing is overrated just give me 4 a15 cores and call it a day

Yes but the GPU in the iphone has to power less than a 720p display, the gpu in the s4 needs to power 1080p which is alot more than 720p. Another aspect is that it isnt open gl 3.0 and I have a feeling we will see alot if gl 3.0 games this year and the s4 wont be able to use this.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That's why I specifically mentioned off screen test that normalize the resolution to 1080p and I hope we see open gl compatible games but I doubt they are going to roll out in force as you say because the hardware just isn't their. Last I checked and I could be wrong but the adreno 225 isn't open gl 3.0 compatible. So why would I release a game that will only work on what the s4 pro And what else tegra 4

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of the chip/gfx that is picked. I'm sure it will be capable of pumping all those $.20 a time nickel-and-dime-you-to-death in game transactions at a fluid framerate just fine.

-Suntan

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that this is showing 24894 for the Exynos octa. The Tegra 4 reference tablet ran up 36305 per Engadget, quite a large difference considering both are 4xA15 chips. Thermal throttling or performance losses from using the A7s?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that this is showing 24894 for the Exynos octa. The Tegra 4 reference tablet ran up 36305 per Engadget, quite a large difference considering both are 4xA15 chips. Thermal throttling or performance losses from using the A7s?

Too many differences to know for sure.

GPU in T4 is faster. Maybe that's why.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I doubt you would see much of a performance loss from having the a7 cpus unless the benchmark was using them. But judging by how antutu scores devices I would guess it's all down to memory and thermal throttling don't think such a big jump is due to gpu seeing the t4 would have run into vsync issues through the test, (unless it was run wide open). But then again gpu performance isn't that heavily weighted in antutu so who knows. Software could play a huge part also. But these are just guesses I'm throwing out there. It's just too many variables without having both in front of you to test side by side using

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
This one is easy... the Exynos is easily the better chip.

CPU
Snapdragon 600: quad core krait 300.
krait 300 has an IPC (instructions per clock) about 0.7 - 0.8 that of a ARM cortex A15. Remember Qualcomm gave up performance for efficiency.

Exynos Octa: quad core A15 + quad core A7 (big.little architecture).
you get the power sipping benefits of the A7s with the top end performance of the A15. The price you pay for this is in die size, i.e. costs more.

Conclusion: if the two chips have the same clock speed, which current rumors seem to show, then the Exynos will be 20-30% faster from a compute perspective.

GPU
Snapdragon 600: Adreno 320.
same GPU that is found in the Qualcomm S4 Pro with an increased clock (estimated 15-20% increase in performance)

Exynos Octa: Imagination SGX 544MP3
Pretty much same chip as found in iPhone 5 (with added DX10 support) but clocked at 533MHz instead of 300MHz like the iPhone, nearly double the clock.

Conclusion: The iPhone 5 GPU already beat the Adreno 320 of the S4 Pro by a good margin in most benchmarks. With the large increase to clock speed the Octa should easily take this category as well.

References
Exynos Octa: AnandTech - Samsung Details Exynos 5 Octa Architecture & Power at ISSCC '13

Snapdragon 600: AnandTech - Qualcomm's Next-Gen Krait 400 & Krait 300 Announced in Snapdragon 800 & 600 SoCs

GPU comparison, offscreen tests are most telling since they normalize to common resolution (compare nexus 4 (adreno 320) to Iphone 5 (sgx 543MP3)): AnandTech - Google Nexus 4 Review - Google's new Flagship

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It would seem from the rumor mill that the focus of the GS4 is more refinements of existing features of Nature UX adding Smart Scrolling, Smart Pause, Smart Rotation and floating touch than hardware with only a moderate boost to hardware. Improved camera features and screen display resolution are features that have been regarded as areas where Samsung has been lagging with the Galaxy S line are rumored to be included in the release. Given the time it took to develop and release the GS4, while not earth shattering, will make this device outshine the competition until the GS5 when many of the next generation hardware will be included.

Do I want a scary fast processor? Sure, but on a device where the OS squeezes out every ounce of performance leading to better battery life. Faster processors are great but also consume more battery life. Every one has different needs and experiences and no one device is going to satisfy every one. If the GS4 is not up to your expectations, then move on and wait for the device that does all things that you want. The processor is not a deal breaker at the moment but could be in the future.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908