03-31-2013 11:08 AM
233 12345 ...
tools
    Agree with this.

@Macbook_Pro
    Weird, the one with nearly 70% market share has more attention than the sum of all things making up the other 30%?! GREAT SCOTT! That also doesn't mention that the vast majority are through side-loaded 3rd party markets, not the Google Play store; where as 90% of iOS Viruses make it through the App Store. Derpity Derp. Fake and biased sensationalism based faux journalism based on inaccurate or misleading analysis of data used out of context should not be quoted by free thinking people, unless it's specifically to point out the hypocrisy of the article.

Did you notice anything weird about that site? The purpose of that article is to generate ad revenue, not to inform you of anything or help you make decisions.
    Did you notice anything about your comment? Both the One and S4 are Android-based, and your recommendation was ANDROID SUX!!!?!?!?! ... That doesn't help th OP at all in choosing between two Android-based products.

Your comment is exactly as relevant as if they would have said, "do you like peanut butter or jelly?" and you responded, "I LIKE PONIES!!!!". Random and useless.

EDIT: That came out very differently than I thought it would. I definitely am not calling the user random or pointless or meaning to insult anyone. I admit, I was irritated by a user who has made 4 posts, all of which are insulting to either Samsung, HTC or Android, showing an iPhone and a Blackberry as primary daily drivers making a comment that I viewed as defamatory and unhelpful; however that does not give me the right to use the tone I did and I sincerely apologize to everyone in this thread, especially Macbook_Pro. The tone and analogy were excessively aggressive and unwarranted.
    You are to be commended for maintaining civility, but there's no need to apologize. His/hers was a troll comment if ever I saw one.
    tohio and TheOtherBill like this.
    03-08-2013 07:21 AM
    Well since the One isn't coming to verizon I am going to go with the s4. Not to mention the removable battery and samsung being a little better than htc with updates
    vampyren and TheOtherBill like this.
    03-08-2013 08:04 AM
    I have a HTC One X and it took HTC+AT&T 6-Months to push out Jelly Bean Update (3/7/2013) - basically HTC's support is not very good which explains why this company is on a down-hill slide. I've never been a big fan of Samsung but if the new S4 doesn't have a physical button on the bottom of the screen I'll be purchasing a S4. Keep in mind the S4 comes with Android 4.2 while the HTC One comes with 4.1 making it 1-OS revision behind it's competitor out-of-the-box.
    03-08-2013 08:13 AM
    the GS4 will have all the things that the HTC One is missing, like always thats how Samsung wins every time.
    The Hustleman and vampyren like this.
    03-08-2013 08:24 AM
    The new sense is supposed to be a redesign, galaxy s4 hasn't come out yet... i feel that "some" of the people commenting here is taking the apple fanboy approach and vouching for products they don't even know about.

Wait until you know what's new with the new galaxy, test drive the one and by then you will be able to get credible opinions by people who actually used the devices.

Unless of course you want a removable battery and external card, then the One wont be good for you regardless.

Since i already have a galaxy s3 I'll be waiting on the Motorola phone x and note 3 and hopefully I'll make a decision on a phone around the end of the year

Zuz
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
    03-08-2013 08:45 AM
    Let's put it this way: if it weren't for the Grateful Dead, 64GB would indeed be adequate.
    +2

Dicks Picks does take up a lot of "space"
    03-08-2013 08:59 AM
    No removable battery? Some of my associates remove batteries from their cell phones when they come to important meetings.... Can you guess why?
    Cause they haven't figured out how to use the power button?
    03-08-2013 09:04 AM
    My argument is that, as it seems that you can do less and less with an SD card (again, for example, you can no longer load your applications on an SD card with the latest versions of Android)
    Personally, I never found this to be useful in the first place. I don't install a ton of apps, but I do have a handful, some of which aren't exactly small, and I've still never come close to the limit of the internal storage space. In fact, any of my apps that default to installing on the SD card (pre 4.0), I immediately move back to internal.

So I just don't see the loss of this one feature as a justification to ditch SD cards altogether. They're still handy for moving large files between work/home, storing large collections of music or keeping several movies. Anyone with kids can vouch for how handy it is to be able to entertain their kids with a cartoon or three while traveling/eating/waiting/etc.

While I'm not married to either feature (SD card or removable battery), I'd still very much prefer to have both and I think Google is being very shortsighted in pushing for certain things to be, or not be, included, and the on again/off again features (apps to SD card) just isn't a good way to develop an OS. I love Google, but sometimes they appear a bit erratic.
    vampyren and NoNoiPhone4me like this.
    03-08-2013 09:09 AM
    personally i think not many people these days care about Removeable batteries or SD cards Only us 5-10% tech savvy people care . i am looking forward to the one
    03-08-2013 09:10 AM
    Will the new Sony phone be coming to Verizon?
    03-08-2013 09:10 AM
    +2

Dicks Picks does take up a lot of "space"
    Ha ha, yes indeed, and throw in Road Trips and the Download Series on top of that. Luckily I'm a pre-1979 snob, otherwise I'd probably be pushing for 256GB storage.

Perhaps this is the proper place to confess the joy I feel at Google Music limiting users by songs rather than GBs.
    03-08-2013 09:11 AM
    I've had both the Galaxy S3 as well as the EVO LTE, and both have their plus's & minus's.

I've found that I really don't need the removeable battery, so that's no longer a deal breaker for me.
    I've also determined that with all of the streaming music and cloud storage, I really don't need a Micro SD, so 32GB / 64GB of onboard storage is plenty for me.

IMO, the screen of the HTC was far superior than the SG3, especially outdoors, and that's very important to me. So if I was to consider the SG4, it better have a vastly improved screen.

I also feel that the camera on the EVO was superior to the camera on the SG3, which is next in my list of priorities.

I think the functionality and features built into the SG3 were superior to the HTC EVO, so that's a huge + for Samsung.

The HTC seemed to be plauged by HW issues. Maybe I was unluck for the past couple of years and got faulty replacements, but HTC better step up in the quality of it's products.

So AFAIC, it's game on between these two competetiors. Both have quality products and it's going to be a tough choice.

David
    03-08-2013 09:17 AM
    Hahaha, decisions decisions ah what a wonderful feeling! i would probably end up getting both my self.
    03-08-2013 09:23 AM
    Definitely a toss up, each have there pro's and con's and I'm quite anxious to see the official S4 announcement, and further more, the "showdowns".

Hardware (general) - HTC has a sexy beast on their hands, IMO. This has swag appeal...look what it has done for iPhone. I definitely feel like the build quality using aluminum vs plastic is superior, but then again...I would feel the need to put a case on it, which shamefully hides its beauty.

Screens - 1080p AMOLED vs SLCD3? Tough call, will have to see. AMOLED looks super vibrant, with amazing blacks, but I hear the HTC Super LCD screens have better visibility outside.

Cameras - Another one that will depend on direct comparisons. I think I have to give it to HTC if there "ultra" pixel thing does in fact snap superior indoor/low lighting pictures. ZOE is neat, but not something that a competitor dev could whip up and make usable on any phone.

Speakers - giving it to HTC easy. Forget Beats... I'm sure it helps, but seriously, 2 front facing stereo speakers! finally, I can share videos with friends/family at a party and not have to explain what the video is about cause they can't hear it no matter how hard i cup my hand behind the phone.

Hardware Bonus Round - S4 will most likely have removable battery and microSD slot. Both nice features that I'd rather have than not. Although I do not find myself carrying an extra battery (but I do have a 10k mah portable battery charger), it is nice to have for those "hard resets". microSD also makes manual transferring easier, and very useful for custom ROM work, but it is used increasingly less. I'm sure Samsung will keep the SD slot in all devices because they MAKE SD cards... why eliminate a huge extra avenue for profit. On the other hand, HTC does have a new trick up its sleeve, an IR blastser - while not completely sure how functionaly it will be, they have at least opened up the API for developers to make cool apps to take advantage of it.

Sense vs. Touchwiz - really a personal preference. Sense generally looks nice, and in the past has been a memory hog, but it shouldn't cause any issues on today's beastly hardware. Touchwiz has a wealth of additionaly features, some useful, some not (not sure how well automatically eye scrolling is gonna work). If you custom ROM, some of this won't matter, and besides, you can always slap your own favorite launcher.

Timely Updates - Samsung wins here, they have been better at pushing out updates, at least to their flagships. HTC has to prove themselves, and they might, as it looks like this is their "focus" now, so what else are they going to do after the hardware is done??

That's just my take on it... as I said, I'm sure their will be plenty of comparisons/Vs's/showdowns once these 2 beasts are in the hands of reviewers. As long as there are no serious hardware flaws, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
    03-08-2013 09:46 AM
    SAMSUNG has announce difference size of on board storage for the GS3 and the NOTE II....so far i have only seen GS3 in 16gb and 32gb and the NOTE II in 16GB ONLY.....they said they would be avail in 16gb 32gb and 64...but have never seen a 64gb for sale....would love to get the GS4 w/ 64GB and a 64GB (Hell it might take a 128GB) card.
    03-08-2013 09:50 AM
    I highly doubt they'd eliminate SD card. I am sure they know it's a very popular option. Note 8 has one so I am inclined to say it will be in the S4.
    For phone geeks it is but a tiny percentage of most users ever use the sd card slot or removable battery and Samsung and other companies know this. Eliminating these makes for a slimmer phone and easier manufacturing. I don't care about a removable battery but do want an sd card slot. Anyway we will see but I think sooner rather than later both will disappear.
    03-08-2013 09:57 AM
    In my opinion, HTC is too arrogant. I seem to remember them saying that people didn't want longer battery life at the expense of a slightly thicker phone - really loved that 1300 mah battery on my droid incredible guys. I honestly don't think they care what people want. Personally, I use both the sd card and removable battery on my gs3. When I go on trips or to an area with bad service, it's nice to be able to either use my 4400 mah battery or swap out my spare (espeically during all day meetings at a convention center or hotel where cell service can be really spotty). I also have tons of videos I've taken and music on my 64 gb sd card which will move with me to my next phone.
    03-08-2013 10:38 AM
    HTC One as soon as it's on VZW and has wireless charging.
    03-08-2013 10:43 AM
    I've had both the Galaxy S3 as well as the EVO LTE, and both have their plus's & minus's.

I've found that I really don't need the removeable battery, so that's no longer a deal breaker for me.
    I've also determined that with all of the streaming music and cloud storage, I really don't need a Micro SD, so 32GB / 64GB of onboard storage is plenty for me.

IMO, the screen of the HTC was far superior than the SG3, especially outdoors, and that's very important to me. So if I was to consider the SG4, it better have a vastly improved screen.

I also feel that the camera on the EVO was superior to the camera on the SG3, which is next in my list of priorities.

I think the functionality and features built into the SG3 were superior to the HTC EVO, so that's a huge + for Samsung.

The HTC seemed to be plauged by HW issues. Maybe I was unluck for the past couple of years and got faulty replacements, but HTC better step up in the quality of it's products.

So AFAIC, it's game on between these two competetiors. Both have quality products and it's going to be a tough choice.

David
    You're FAR from alone.

People talk "HTC has great build quality" but then all the hardware problems. I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between build quality and build materials.

HTC always has better build materials, but their quality of the build sucks.

This fails, that fails, i see it daily as does my buddy working at sprint. Most of the sprint employees I've met HATE HTC phones because of poor build quality. Then the phone's that I've fixed, charging ports come loose requiring re soldering, batteries losing charge capacity dramatically in only 9 months (couldn't get more than an hour of actual use out of the original EVO or thunderbolt without a charge or battery swap causing me to walk around with a pocket full of spares) yet people say great build quality? Laughable at best.

Also, removable battery wouldn't be a bad idea if every phone had a 3600mah battery in it. Google should force makers to make batteries in that capacity. It would be even better if it were removable.

But a 2020mah battery (or anything under 3100mah) is unacceptable on any smartphone that doesn't allow removing of the battery.

Its just a terrible direction android is taking.

Then with the lack of additional cards, yes the internal storage is always best, but memory cards (why are they called memory cards when they are storage and not memory?) are a great feature.

Why?

For some reason neither of my PC's will connect to my galaxy s III, not my windows or iMac.

The good?

I can simply pop my sd card out and plop it in ny computer.

Problem solved.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    03-08-2013 11:00 AM
    For phone geeks it is but a tiny percentage of most users ever use the sd card slot or removable battery and Samsung and other companies know this. Eliminating these makes for a slimmer phone and easier manufacturing. I don't care about a removable battery but do want an sd card slot. Anyway we will see but I think sooner rather than later both will disappear.
    I don't know what you base that on but I work in the wirelezs industry and every time someone comes to me for help with their galaxy S III they have a memory card in it

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    03-08-2013 11:03 AM
    HTC One. Because touchwiz blows. And I swore off samsung once the original galaxy s line was such crap.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    03-08-2013 11:11 AM
    ... and 4MP camera? Samsung really has to screw up big time for me to not get the GS4. The HTC One had tons of potential, but the camera and lack of micro SD & removable battery feel like dealbreakers to me.
    03-08-2013 11:14 AM
    The proof will be in the pudding. I mean pictures. I have a hard time believing that htc would take a step back in the camera department after how good the one X, s and Evo Lte cameras were.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    03-08-2013 11:32 AM
    Doug, you are quite naive. 4MP, but the MP's themselves are around 3 times bigger in microns than the normal size of a usual pixel. It is the same like with cameras. The better quality is on the camera which has a bigger sensor, which absorbs more light. Doesn't matter how many trillion pixels you have, they do not represent quality. If talking in no brainer terms - the actual size of the photo will be pretty similar to 12-13mpx.

Btw, someone mentioned that GS4 will have 1080p amoled. that is not true, they do not have the technologies to create an amoled of 1080p pixel density.
    LCD3 has superior quality and the last HTC phones did have the best screens on the market and I am guessing this will be the same case with the one.
    For me, the deal breakers will be build quality, issues with overheating and of course battery life. But if the ONE will be capable of holding a full day on moderate-heavy use, that is enough for me. I hate plastics, that is why I am not in love with Samsung like most of the guys here..
    BigDinCA and NoNoiPhone4me like this.
    03-08-2013 11:33 AM
    Those who understand Photography are rejoicing at the lower number of megapixels but each pixel is larger. That way image quality is improved, dynamic range is improved, and low light photography is improved. This will likely be the best cell phone camera introduced this year. Only low-information phoners will be impressed by the high megapixel counts of less capable cell phone cameras.
    03-08-2013 11:35 AM
233 12345 ...