03-31-2013 11:08 AM
233 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I dont need to wait cause i already know the answer for me atleast
    I'm extremley happy with my S3 for a few reasons:
    - Great SW update coming from Samsung
    - SD card rocks, never going back to only Internal memory
    - Touchwiz and samsung tweaks are also awesome, they add so many good features like the smart stay and all the options in pull down menu. Plus Touchwiz isnt a power hug, it feels smooth.
    - I live the button (hope they dont remove it on S4).

So the answer is simple i go for S4 even if it pains me move from S3 so quickly, its a great power house still but the geek i am i know just have to upgrade

ps. I also have iPhone5 and can agree aluminum give a more premium feeling but i still think S3 has other benefit like being really light and the fact you can change the cover when its scratched is a plus for me. So in the end of the day i prefer the plastic.
    03-08-2013 11:41 AM
    Everyone should just wait for the phone to come out before making a decision. It's less than a week away. But the HTC One is definitely a beauty of a device by itself. Each has their own phone preferences, be happy you have the option to choose between such great phones.

Personally, the full unibody aluminum housing of the HTC One is absolutely night and day compared to Samsung's usual polycarbonate. Even a soft touch polycarbonate similar to the One X would've been a huge upgrade in terms of premium feel. If Samsung wants to compete on all fronts, they really need to step it up in terms of material quality.

Some need removable battery/sd card, many don't. All user preference once again.

Software-wise, I still think Touchwiz is absolutely ugly, but of course you can root it and put vanilla or something if Samsung follows the same path. But Sense 5 stock vs. Touchwiz, I'd choose Sense 5.

I dont need to wait cause i already know the answer for me atleast
    I'm extremley happy with my S3 for a few reasons:
    - Great SW update coming from Samsung
    - SD card rocks, never going back to only Internal memory
    - Touchwiz and samsung tweaks are also awesome, they add so many good features like the smart stay and all the options in pull down menu. Plus Touchwiz isnt a power hug, it feels smooth.
    - I live the button (hope they dont remove it on S4).

So the answer is simple i go for S4 even if it pains me move from S3 so quickly, its a great power house still but the geek i am i know just have to upgrade

ps. I also have iPhone5 and can agree aluminum give a more premium feeling but i still think S3 has other benefit like being really light and the fact you can change the cover when its scratched is a plus for me. So in the end of the day i prefer the plastic.
    Just an FYI, the iPhone5 is lighter than the S3 by 20g even with the far superior build quality.
    03-08-2013 11:54 AM
    HTC One as soon as it's on VZW and has wireless charging.
    I don't know if it will be on verizon, but it won't have wireless charging. The aluminum back precludes that.

... and 4MP camera? Samsung really has to screw up big time for me to not get the GS4. The HTC One had tons of potential, but the camera and lack of micro SD & removable battery feel like dealbreakers to me.
    the camera?

Those who understand Photography are rejoicing at the lower number of megapixels but each pixel is larger. That way image quality is improved, dynamic range is improved, and low light photography is improved. This will likely be the best cell phone camera introduced this year. Only low-information phoners will be impressed by the high megapixel counts of less capable cell phone cameras.
    This. I am really exited about the camera, and that might be the deciding factor for me. Big fat pixels that can see in dim indoor light, and capture dynamic range in good light! Wow, I might even stop carrying a "real" camera when I travel.

Zoe looks like a gimmick, but might be helpful for capturing action shots.
    03-08-2013 12:04 PM
    I want to see what the S4 is going to look like and offer, but the HTC one is truly beautiful and feels good in hand.
    03-08-2013 12:14 PM
    And I use the example of my wife and her 64 GByte iPhone 5. She has a ton of video, music and lectures on her phone and still has plenty of space. My argument is not that there is no need for an SD card; my argument is that with phone coming with up to 64 GBytes (and soon, maybe even more) of memory built-in, then the need for an SD card becomes less and less. An honest question to both of you but if your phones had 64 GBytes of built-in memory, how much if any, more memory would you need?
    Speaking for myself, I have a 32 gab s3, with a 64 gb card. My 64 card is full of music, and my phone is half full of music and apps, with a few small vids. I use my device for an MP3 player and do have a lot of music. Do I always need these tunes with me, no. However, when I am on the road or in the woods and want to hear something, I like having it all with me. Cloud won't work since in the wild 4g won't work, nor in a plane, or in my office or gym. So yes, to me, the more storage the better. And 64 alone would not be enough. Am I typical, probably not, but I won't purchase a phone that is lacking an sd card. So htc won't get my business anymore. Again, I am not a typical user probably. But I am a consumer who has money to spend.
    03-08-2013 12:42 PM
    I have a question about the three sizes they say it will come in. Why not get the 16GB model and buy a 128 memory card, would think that would be cheaper way to go, no?

How much more do you think Samsung will charge for each increase in memory size for the Galaxy S4?
    03-08-2013 12:58 PM
    I for one will be getting the one lol..i used to be concerned about the whole non removable battery...then i got the evo lte and i am very happy, makes for a solid phone..now the sd card issue does suck not for moving apps to sd but got file storage, music, and whatever else i need, obviously the move to better internal storage is nice and all but now i have a Samsung 32gb class 10 card that i can't really use now it would be nice if sprint repurposes the sim try for a sd tray like they did with the one x
    03-08-2013 01:00 PM
    ..now the sd card issue does suck not for moving apps to sd but got file storage, music, and whatever else i need...
    Android doesn't support apps to SD anymore. Since JB for sure, and maybe since ICS, though I can't remember back that far (that would be mid-December!).
    03-08-2013 01:42 PM
    Well since the One isn't coming to verizon I am going to go with the s4. Not to mention the removable battery and samsung being a little better than htc with updates
    Wow... this statement is so @$$ backwards from how the OEM's were 2 years ago, but I have to agree: Samsung has (finally) realized that there's real money to be made with Android and gotten on the ball. HTC on the other hand... well... I loved my Evo, and even my Evo3D, and I was seriously debating the EvoLTE before I got my Note 2. But HTC needs to sort themselves out right now. I genuinely hope they are able to survive that, but I'm not going to support a failing company just because I like what they *used* to do.
    03-08-2013 01:58 PM
    You're FAR from alone.

People talk "HTC has great build quality" but then all the hardware problems. I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between build quality and build materials.

HTC always has better build materials, but their quality of the build sucks.

This fails, that fails, i see it daily as does my buddy working at sprint. Most of the sprint employees I've met HATE HTC phones because of poor build quality. Then the phone's that I've fixed, charging ports come loose requiring re soldering, batteries losing charge capacity dramatically in only 9 months (couldn't get more than an hour of actual use out of the original EVO or thunderbolt without a charge or battery swap causing me to walk around with a pocket full of spares) yet people say great build quality? Laughable at best.

Also, removable battery wouldn't be a bad idea if every phone had a 3600mah battery in it. Google should force makers to make batteries in that capacity. It would be even better if it were removable.

But a 2020mah battery (or anything under 3100mah) is unacceptable on any smartphone that doesn't allow removing of the battery.

Its just a terrible direction android is taking.

Then with the lack of additional cards, yes the internal storage is always best, but memory cards (why are they called memory cards when they are storage and not memory?) are a great feature.

Why?

For some reason neither of my PC's will connect to my Galaxy S3, not my windows or iMac.

The good?

I can simply pop my sd card out and plop it in ny computer.

Problem solved.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Well, nobody will ever accuse you of not being biased...

HTC's build quality is top notch for me. I've never had an issue, and I've been rockin' an HTC device since the Mogul. That's right... WinMo, baby!. I've never had a bad charging port, failed battery (except the spare I left in my car for weeks on end during the summer of 2010 that exploded from the heat), screen issue or anything. I guess everyone's experience is different. My brother has a GS3 on Verizon and hates hates hates it. His wife loves hers. He has had his replaced twice because of a faulty charging port, but he puts it through it's paces. She doesn't. That doesn't mean that every Sammy phone is a clunker. My wife has a GS3 (we're on Sprint) and she loves it. But her battery is good for 10 hours, max. And she isn't what we here would consider a power user. My EVO gets me through just about every 12 hour day I have, no charging required, and I AM a power user.

As for me, I will not own a Samsung phone anytime soon. I've bought all 3 Galaxy devices for my wife and son over the years. The original Epic? P O S !!! Talk about build quality, the sliding keyboard was a joke. And not a funny one. And don't even consider going naked with the GS2 - it was made out of the slipperiest stuff on the planet. And here's some GS2 build quality for you - Sprint stocks screen repair kits because the digitizers fail so often it makes more sense, financially, to have the repairs done in store rather than ship them off to get fixed, it happens so often. The GS3? Beautiful device, good camera, great screen indoors but not so much in bright outdoor settings and a little plastic-y for my tastes. But the build quality has certainly improved for Samsung and that's great for everyone, if you don't count the motherboard issue. Give them another year or two with quality construction and I may be open to it.

As for the batteries in general: I would rather have a removable one than not, but if it's non-removable then I just need it to last for me. My EVO does right now, and the One has a bigger battery and more efficient components so I feel good about it. Only time will really tell, though. I don't dismiss it because of some number that most people here don't fully understand anyway. As for the older batteries on older phones, tell me which Samsung phone was kickin' all-day battery life back in 2010? Certainly not the original Galaxy series. Not even close. They all sucked back then compared to now. In 5 years we will be talking about how 2 days on a battery is for losers. Everything improves with time. But it won't be because of Google directly. Why would they start dictating hardware specs to the manufacturers? That eliminates one of the core benefits of Android: choice! Should we all have the same screen? Should they all be the same size? Should everyone have to use the same camera, button configuration, amount of RAM, amount of internal storage, network type, homescreen, lockscreen and system font? How about not every 19-year old college student can't afford the latest and greatest, nor does every parent want to get their 12-year old a $350 phone on contract. But if that's what you want then there is a site for that. At the bottom of this page is a link to iMore.com and you'll find lots of people there who share that view.

But I do agree about the microSD card - I love being able to pop it out and into my computer whenever I want. I will miss that if I end up getting the One.
    Lukas Ekstazijus likes this.
    03-08-2013 02:11 PM
    No because a cell phone with a battery in it can still be tracked and possibly used to eavesdrop. (I was in Pre-Med, I know what I'm talking about).
    The Hustleman likes this.
    03-08-2013 02:16 PM
    I would have to say that I'm disappointed that there is no removable storage or Battery on the ONE. On the other hand I have the EVOLTE and I don't think I've ever had a problem where I've had to remove the battery for anything. I'm rooted w/ s-off and I thought it would be a mess but it actually works pretty well.

Here is what I've read so far...
    S4
    *5" inch screen- full hd amoled screen, about 440ppi
    *Eyescroll
    *Possible octacore processor
    *Removable storage/Battery ??
    *Not much different design than S3

HTC ONE
    *4.7 inch LCD3 full HD screen, 468ppi
    *Zoe, Boom sound, and 4 Ultra pixel camera
    *s600pro QUALCOMM 1.7ghz
    *Supposed super noise canceling software
    *All aluminum seamless design
    *No removal battery/Storage. Coming in 32gb, 64gb versions. Black and white.

To sum it upunless the S4 has a 800pro or exynos 5 chipset then you really have to give to HTC ONE a real hard look. Now if they have the same 600pro chipset, which would you rather get?
    The eye scroll thingreally. REALLY! I hope they got more than this sure to be gimmick feature. I really do think that a lot of people would get a S4 just because of the advertising and marketing dollars that Sammy puts into its product instead of really comparing the two for what they are. Only thing I would say the HTC screwed up with was the removal storage. However, 64gb is nothing to be upset about, thats plenty for me.
    03-08-2013 03:00 PM
    The S4 is not supposed to have a AMOLED screen but we shall see.
    03-08-2013 03:12 PM
    HTC One. Because touchwiz blows. And I swore off samsung once the original galaxy s line was such crap.
    While I understand the sentiment, that's a lot like saying "I'm gonna stick my hand in the garbage disposal, cause it hurt when I stuck it in the blender."

A little over a year ago, I recommended people away from Samsung, and HTC was my OEM of choice, but they started to go down hill in there somewhere. Samsung on the other hand, whether you think their phones feel "plasticy" (and I do get that) or not, they have really stepped up in not leaving their users high and dry when issues come up with the devices. I was really pleasantly surprised to see them "back port" the multi-window feature to their older devices.

HTC seems to have *really* started to slip in this department, starting somewhere around the Thunderbolt. Back when I had my original Evo 4G on Sprint, that was the very first phone on the market to get Froyo. Got updated even before the new phones could come out sporting it. Fast forward to the Evo3D, and... well, you all know the rest of the story. I did see that they got Jellybean on the HOX, finally. Not nearly as bad of a wait as it could have been, but they have a long track record of leaving phones out to pasture the second they're out of the factory door the past year and a half or so.

I guess the slick plastic on Samsung phones doesn't bother me cause I just throw mine in a case. I love the Seido Surface's soft-touch coating and matching holster. Although, I do think the "brushed metal" look on my Note 2 *looks* nice, it doesn't necessarily *feel* nice in your hand.
    03-08-2013 04:00 PM
    <snip>
    The eye scroll thingreally. REALLY! I hope they got more than this sure to be gimmick feature. I really do think that a lot of people would get a S4 just because of the advertising and marketing dollars that Sammy puts into its product instead of really comparing the two for what they are. Only thing I would say the HTC screwed up with was the removal storage. However, 64gb is nothing to be upset about, thats plenty for me.
    <snip>
    As I imagine how this eye scrolling would work (and I know I frequently glance up and down a screen as I'm reading) I come to the conclusion that this would be more of a nuiance than a feature. I seriously doubt that the AI is anywhere being viable, so this simply has to be a marketing ploy. But.... It's probably a great marketing ploy :-)

David
    03-08-2013 04:21 PM
    HTC One
    03-08-2013 04:32 PM
    Are you kidding? TouchWiz is intuitive and smooth?
    FaisDogg and Aquila like this.
    03-08-2013 04:35 PM
    HTC is having supply issues with ONE parts so they are going to far and few between. They are saying that it cut production by 80% on the ONE due to camera module supply issues.
    ONE good reason to pass it up!
    Besides, if HTC can't sell the crap out of this phone, it will be their last nail in the coffin. And it isn't looking good so far.
    Premium1 likes this.
    03-08-2013 05:19 PM
    HTC is having supply issues with ONE parts so they are going to far and few between. They are saying that it cut production by 80% on the ONE due to camera module supply issues.
    ONE good reason to pass it up!
    Besides, if HTC can't sell the crap out of this phone, it will be their last nail in the coffin. And it isn't looking good so far.
    ........... Can you at least show the source of the information? Good reason to pass up because they have supply issues?
    WHAT?..... O_O
    03-08-2013 06:07 PM
    Well choice between sd card, removalable battery, gimmicky tweaks, tinny sounding speakers, amoled, TW all caged in cheap plastic = S4
    Premium built device, sound boom, SLCD 3, front dual speakers, innovative camera, sense UI all wrapped in beautiful design aluminium = HTC One. Too easy HTC One of course. No matter what they put in plastic it's always going to look cheap.
    FaisDogg likes this.
    03-08-2013 06:13 PM
    Well choice between sd card, removalable battery, gimmicky tweaks, tinny sounding speakers, amoled, TW all caged in cheap plastic = S4
    Premium built device, sound boom, SLCD 3, front dual speakers, innovative camera, sense UI all wrapped in beautiful design aluminium = HTC One. Too easy HTC One of course. No matter what they put in plastic it's always going to look cheap.

Lol @ aluminium being premium

A phone that can do more will always be better than the phone that does less

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Premium1 likes this.
    03-08-2013 06:47 PM
    I dont know about you, but i listen to my music with earbuds 99% of the time. I dont care if it has dual speakers or not and would only care if it makes the ringer louder.

I also find aluminum back phones to be too slippery and need a case on it anyways so that also doesnt matter to me either. Ill take the microSD slot as well over a aluminum built, dual speaker phone.
    Premium1 likes this.
    03-08-2013 06:47 PM
    Something about a non-accessible battery and no external sd card slot turns me off of any device without them. So simple to have......
    I have said the same thing but for me it is a comfort level. I never have needed to pull out my battery or SD card.
    03-08-2013 06:55 PM
    Hilarious!!! People are comparing two phones based on specs. I am excited to see HTC one because they are doing so many things different that are supposedly better. I am also excited to see if all of the changes that the S4 will have really make that phone so much better or are they adding features that have minimal impact as an upgrade to the S3?
    03-08-2013 07:00 PM
    Definitely agree on that one, however in terms of features I think Samsung take the edge

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    I spent some decent time on the HTC DNA and later compared to the Galaxy S3 and I still think TouchWiz is faster and more intuitive than the HTC. Sure that wasn't anything like Sense 5.0 but honestly it looks clumsy and just not put together in the YouTube videos.

S4.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    Premium1 likes this.
    03-08-2013 07:08 PM
233 ... 23456 ...