HTC One or Galaxy S4

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Just inserting my 2 cents, and I do understand I saw things through a very narrow scope...

I worked for a national cell carrier for years, and there were so many issues with the HTC One that it was just embarrassing to say the least. Constant WiFi disconnections, battery completely draining and needing to be "jumped" essentially, terrible multi-tasking (you couldn't even keep 3 apps open without one of them having to completely close), all kinds of glitches.

I wish I still worked there so I could show you guys a screenshot of the known issues in the technical support section of our internal network's site, but there were PAGES. The Galaxy S3 had about 10 trouble items which were usually just software related anyways. I'll never buy HTC again, and it's no coincidence that they're hurting. It's not because Samsung is that much better, it's just the HTC are just terrible. Sure they look good, but that novelty wears off when your phone doesn't even work like it's supposed to.

We can talk about specs all day, but there's no spec for likelihood of phone not working like it should.

Again, this is just a limited scope, but it was enough for me.

edit: Oh, and lack of Menu button is inexcusable. Hunting down the menu button in each app because all the developers put them in different spots is for the birds. I know the menu button is not part of the Android 4.0+ spec, but from a usability standpoint it's still superior IMO
I have a rezound and a DNA they work flawless for me,there is no such thing as a perfect phone,Samsung i am sure have had just as many duds as HTC,and if i recall a lot of radio problems, which is a big issue seeing it is the main component of a Smartphone.

wilfreb

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
A phone with a bigger battery, a bigger and better screen, removable battery, micro sd card slot in a thinner, more light and with the same dimensions as the predecessor, for me that's really design engineering.

TouchWiz is the most feature-rich, user-friendly and up to date OS of them all [excluding stock Android of course]

it is a fully no compromise phone, with the GS4 you have ABSOLUTELY all the features you can have, and that's excellent overall design.

the GS4 will be my next phone for sure.

Midnight City

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
It really depends, i mostly record videos and take pictures at night, and i use my phone for a lot of multimedia where the front speakers will work spectacular for me, and i've never been a fan of the design of the Galaxy S3 - S4, and the design of the One is just wonderful to look at and feel. (for me anyway)

Anyone saying you should go for the SG4 because it has a better processor is just being biased, those things doesn't matter in a daily basis, but, if you really need a SD card, or removable battery, go for the SG4, me for example, i don't need those things.

othercents

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
OMG.... my dad is better than your dad....

This is a no win debate between form vs function. People who are in love with the HTC One really love the design and don't have issues with the SD Card and replaceable battery. People who are for the S4 are all about wanting the SD Card and replaceable battery regardless of the fact that most of them won't even use them.

I'm on my 3rd year with my smart phone and don't have issues with my battery life. My previous phone's battery still worked after 5 years when I sold it a few weeks ago. To me the battery issue isn't a deal breaker. I also don't load my phone with music or videos, so having extra space isn't a big deal. For me (as long as all other components are equal) it is all about the camera for me, so the HTC One it is.

In reality, people will be happy with either phone, but the S4 is going to sale more. The reason for this is name recognition and all the marketing Samsung did when the iPhone 5 was released. People remember those commercials and now that they are about to upgrade they are going to choose a phone based on the commercials they saw 5-6 months ago. For those non-technical people who want the best phone, they will be sold an S4 because of the replaceable battery and SD Card even though they won't ever need them.

Hest88

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've gotta say, the future of HTC is something that's weighing on my decision. I plan on keeping my phone for 2 years. During that time, I certainly would want a phone that gets regular upgrades and is supported, but if HTC doesn't continue having the resources that would be a problem.

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
if you are ever interested printing any of your pictures (in 8x10 or larger), you really can't get the HTC one

tf442

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a HTC One S for about a month. Very poor signal, WIFI calling worked now and then and would not work with my car bluetooth. Galaxy S3 solved all the problems. Loved the HTC hardware, but will not give them another chance.

Larry_ThaGr81

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I've owned two HTC devices and one Samsung device. For me battery life is most important because today high end phone are all plenty fast, but they don't last long enough. So between these two devices I would go with the S4 because they software pkg seems to be more optimized for improved battery longevity and they use bigger batteries as well.

Frank Estevez

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Here are my 2 cents.
The S4 has managed to convince people that it has the ultimate blazing fast superphone, and it does to an extent. But, the so-called octacore is just a gimmick to get people to believe that they will actually be getting a smartphone powered by 8 supposed cores(which is total overkill and extremely unnecessary, also its technically only 4 cores). The idea of having 8 cores is one of the main reasons why people will choose the GS4 over the HTC One, when in reality the One has more than enough processing power, and anything above that would be overkill. On another note, the S4's screen is stunning, but unrealistic in the sense that AMOLED screens over-saturate colors. Another plus for the screen is its high brightness level, which not everyone cares about. But the One packs more realistic colors and provides better viewing angles. The PPI difference between the two phones will literally be unnoticeable at this high of a number, unless you like using your phone 2mm away from your eyes and frequently scrape your cornea in an attempt to see the actual pixels. Among the gimmicky new features of the S4, there are actually some useful ones. But, the constant use of the front-facing camera in a few of these features might pose a threat to battery life. The rest of the new features are basically features found on other phones, but they seem new to most people since they are sported on a major flagship phone. As for battery, I've seen mixed results from the HTC One battery, but have yet to hear anything about the S4's slightly larger battery. But what the true game changer should be, when you think logically, is the removable battery and the SD card support found on the S4. For people like me, this doesn't matter, but for others it could determine which device they buy. In the camera field I beleive the One has a better overall camera, some of the comparisons seen online seem to use the worst possible settings for the camera, making it seem quite bad.
In conclusion, the decision comes down to having a popular piece of plastic that performs exceptionally, or a sexy piece of metal that basically performs just as exceptionally(of course with a better camera).
Also; dual front-facing speakers. I don't really need to explain that though :)

Last edited:

scoutbb

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've never been a big fan of Samsung due to the button on the bottom of the phone... I'm currently carrying a AT&T HTC One X - it's one of the best phones I've used in a long time. Here is my opinion between the new Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One - Both phones are relatively evenly matched... What it's going to come down to is Accessories. My HTC ONE X has disappointed me numerous times when it comes it accessories, absolutely pathetic because 9 out of 10 were for the European releases.... why should I trust HTC with their new HTC One? Good luck making me believe the same accessory will work for both USA & European devices.

Samsung G3 Users -- do you have any issues whatsoever locating or buying new accessories from Best Buy or whichever local electronic vendor is in your area? [USA]

Even though the G4 will still have that button - Accessory Available is really the KEY argument when it comes to both of these new Flagship Phones from HTC and Samsung.

jimbo

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
HTC already has a full array of fantastic accessories available for the new HTC One.Superphone. Simply do a Google search.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I recall similar discussions with the S3 and HTC One X. I predicted at that time that the S3 would smoke the One X in sales. It was not even close as we all know.

I continue to predict the S4 will smoke the One in sales. They are both good devices it appears but the One X was plagued with issues while the S3 was remarkably bug free. I owned the S3 and now have a Note 2 and while it has some small issues, it is remarkably bug free. Until HTC shows it can release bug free phones, there is no reason to assume the One will be different. That remains to be seen.

Many on this board have their minds made up or have strong feelings either way but the market will reward the phone that appeals to MORE people. They will vote with their cash. My bottom line is I care less about how a phone LOOKS compared to how it WORKS. It is that simple. I am not trying to change anyone mind, but just state how these phones will be embraced by the masses in my view. If you like going with the leader or like to be different, that is up to you. I suspect it is easier to sell an S3 right now than a One X+.

I won't even go into how they screwed the One X customers coming out with a One X+ around 4 months later with more storage and a bigger battery... two of the things the S3 had from the start.

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the galaxy s2 and upgraded to the HTC EVO 4g LTE (Sprint) I think there are pros and cons with having a Samsung or HTC I really love HTC sense over touch wiz, I also love the build quality of the HTC but I love the more multi tasking features the galaxy line has I wish I can take my favorite things from both phones and put them together to make my fantasy super phone I think next upgrade I'm going back to the Samsung line

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Best phone:

Design and build of a HTC
Processor from Arm/Qualcomm
HTC speakers
Sony/Nokia camera
Samsung display
HTC sense

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2