Best phone:

Design and build of a HTC
Processor from Arm/Qualcomm
HTC speakers
Sony/Nokia camera
Samsung display
HTC sense

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sense 5 better be a huge upgrade for that claim to be valid. So far I would summarize sense as pretty but flawed and severely bloated. Things look better with the one so far but we'll see

Sent from my Note 2

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Here are my 2 cents.
The S4 has managed to convince people that it has the ultimate blazing fast superphone, and it does to an extent. But, the so-called octacore is just a gimmick to get people to believe that they will actually be getting a smartphone powered by 8 supposed cores(which is total overkill and extremely unnecessary, also its technically only 4 cores). The idea of having 8 cores is one of the main reasons why people will choose the GS4 over the HTC One, when in reality the One has more than enough processing power, and anything above that would be overkill. On another note, the S4's screen is stunning, but unrealistic in the sense that AMOLED screens over-saturate colors. Another plus for the screen is its high brightness level, which not everyone cares about. But the One packs more realistic colors and provides better viewing angles. The PPI difference between the two phones will literally be unnoticeable at this high of a number, unless you like using your phone 2mm away from your eyes and frequently scrape your cornea in an attempt to see the actual pixels. Among the gimmicky new features of the S4, there are actually some useful ones. But, the constant use of the front-facing camera in a few of these features might pose a threat to battery life. The rest of the new features are basically features found on other phones, but they seem new to most people since they are sported on a major flagship phone. As for battery, I've seen mixed results from the HTC One battery, but have yet to hear anything about the S4's slightly larger battery. But what the true game changer should be, when you think logically, is the removable battery and the SD card support found on the S4. For people like me, this doesn't matter, but for others it could determine which device they buy. In the camera field I beleive the One has a better overall camera, some of the comparisons seen online seem to use the worst possible settings for the camera, making it seem quite bad.
In conclusion, the decision comes down to having a popular piece of plastic that performs exceptionally, or a sexy piece of metal that basically performs just as exceptionally(of course with a better camera).
Also; dual front-facing speakers. I don't really need to explain that though :)

So how long have you worked at HTC?

lessbdachozn1

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna just share my real world scenarios on why I'm getting the HTC ONE. I don't really use a lot of social media, but I do like to take pictures usually when I'm out bar hopping or club hopping. The HTC One camera is looking to be the best at taking low light pictures (2nd to the Nokia PureView), which will probably only get used at night or during sunny days. I'm on Sprint coming from my Moto Photon 4G on Gingerbread (not that Q ), so you can't really convince me which one is faster. Anything will be blazing, compared to my aging phone. As for battery life, Jellybean in general is better at battery life. When I was running 4.1.1 on my PhanDroid ROM, the Photon was getting way better life. I see a lot of people talking about not having a SD card or removable battery. I have the Project JandyCane on my OG KindleFire and that's one button and none of the extras (16Gb, no removable battery or card). Moving files have been a little harder than using a card but overall my experience being rooted and changing through ROMs has been quite painless. Anything bad happens and you need to shutdown, you just hold the button for 30sec and it hard shuts down. Also being on Sprint I can take advantage of the HD voice thing, but that is more of a plus with either device. However, the dual HD mics on the One reflect that HTC is getting back to making excellent call quality. There are so many smartphones that suck at doing the most basic things a phone should do. And yes, playing music is one of them. I like the idea of stereo front facing dual membrane speakers (Audiophile here) but this device really should come with a stock kickstand. And people share "that song (video, etc)" with their friends all the time.

I'm not sure why so many people are sold on the S4, SD card and removable battery aside. I just think its filled with gimmicks. When you have to sell your platform on gimmicks, I feel that you have somehow lost yourself. Now there a small amount of features on the S4 that are good, the octo core (thats not coming to US phones), the no touch touchscreen (might use that with gloves on), and eyetracking (the idea is great, the execution here is bad). I will never use this to track my health (I do that with other apps), I dont need smartpause (it seemed like it didnt always work and could become a potential problem), and yes I hate their font and themes (very subjective). Otherwise, its the S3 with the HTC One chipset overclocked and a 0.1 upgraded. Not to mention almost all of the software features are going to the Galaxy S line of devices that they choose to upgrade. Oh and why are screens so damn big! I though it needed to be pocketable and able to do a fist bump.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I recall similar discussions with the S3 and HTC One X. I predicted at that time that the S3 would smoke the One X in sales. It was not even close as we all know.

I continue to predict the S4 will smoke the One in sales. They are both good devices it appears but the One X was plagued with issues while the S3 was remarkably bug free. I owned the S3 and now have a Note 2 and while it has some small issues, it is remarkably bug free. Until HTC shows it can release bug free phones, there is no reason to assume the One will be different. That remains to be seen.

Many on this board have their minds made up or have strong feelings either way but the market will reward the phone that appeals to MORE people. They will vote with their cash. My bottom line is I care less about how a phone LOOKS compared to how it WORKS. It is that simple. I am not trying to change anyone mind, but just state how these phones will be embraced by the masses in my view. If you like going with the leader or like to be different, that is up to you. I suspect it is easier to sell an S3 right now than a One X+.

I won't even go into how they screwed the One X customers coming out with a One X+ around 4 months later with more storage and a bigger battery... two of the things the S3 had from the start.

Actually the best selling phone will be from the company with the higher advertising budget.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've gotta say, the future of HTC is something that's weighing on my decision. I plan on keeping my phone for 2 years. During that time, I certainly would want a phone that gets regular upgrades and is supported, but if HTC doesn't continue having the resources that would be a problem.
HTC is terrible with updates. Sense requires so many tweaks that you are lucky to get one update. Samsung on the other hand just released Jellybean updates for the SGS2. Rezound gets squat. Something to consider. The One X seems to be getting more love so hopefully there are some changes in how HTC is handling things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
HTC is terrible with updates. Sense requires so many tweaks that you are lucky to get one update. Samsung on the other hand just released Jellybean updates for the SGS2. Rezound gets squat. Something to consider. The One X seems to be getting more love so hopefully there are some changes in how HTC is handling things.

Do not conflate HTC's update issues with the carrier's. If HTC was able to deliver updates to all of its handsets, it would. But when you have a big red or blue/orange monster standing in your way, you won't be able do much about it.

When HTC is not being blocked or slowed down by the carriers, they issue updates just as quickly as their competitors do.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Do not conflate HTC's update issues with the carrier's. If HTC was able to deliver updates to all of its handsets, it would. But when you have a big red or blue/orange monster standing in your way, you won't be able do much about it.

When HTC is not being blocked or slowed down by the carriers, they issue updates just as quickly as their competitors do.
You are probably right.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
lol you silly people keep bringing up facts and articles... we've already got our ASSUMPTIONS and those are WAY STRONGER than FACTS!

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem with my DNA it is working flawless with zero issues or bugs,and would have no problem going with the one,until i was able to get my hands on the S4,i would stay away,as the screen on both the S3 and note 2 are horrible.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with my DNA it is working flawless with zero issues or bugs,and would have no problem going with the one,until i was able to get my hands on the S4,i would stay away,as the screen on both the S3 and note 2 are horrible.
Clearly you've never used either seen the screen of those phones or you're a massive HTC fanboy.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Clearly you've never used either seen the screen of those phones or you're a massive HTC fanboy.
I actually think this is the biggest factor for a lot of us on AC but won't even be noticed by regular users. I prefer the LCD on my Nexus 4 and the HTC phones better than the AMOLED samsung offers, but the S4 and Note 2 are getting so much better now that I think the difference is minor.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
A good example is the EVO LTE. It had its jelly bean update delivered pretty quickly.

A better example would not include 2012 phones. Sure your '12 HTC phone is still getting updates. The better way is to ask, once the 2013 phones hit, will you still get updates?

Personally, my 2011 evo3d is still on ICS. With no updates since.
Yet the 2011 GS2 has jellybean on every major cell service.

If your phone came out on ICS and got It's jb update, do you really think that you are getting KLP? I wouldn't hold my breath.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I actually think this is the biggest factor for a lot of us on AC but won't even be noticed by regular users. I prefer the LCD on my Nexus 4 and the HTC phones better than the AMOLED samsung offers, but the S4 and Note 2 are getting so much better now that I think the difference is minor.

I honestly don't care enough to know the difference so they all look good to me.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
They are horrible. Poor brightness and color reproduction. The note 2 screen is especially bad.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
You are just running around saying inflammatory statements for arguments sake. Ask any Note 2 Owner and they will tell you their screen is excellent.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You are just running around saying inflammatory statements for arguments sake. Ask any Note 2 Owner and they will tell you their screen is excellent.

No, I'm not. All you have to do is look at the comparisons of the screens (one was posted in the s4 forum) to see just how bad the brightness, white point, and color reproduction are. The note 2 screen is nothing to write home about. Certainly not 'excellent'.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7