Galaxy S IV?s specifications leak, confirm Exynos Octa & PowerVR SGX 544MP

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Somebody with a Galaxy S IV has just performed an Antutu benchmark and revealed all the specifications of the device! It looks like the Galaxy S IV features an Exynos Octa 5410 CPU clocked at 1.8GHz, PowerVR SGX 544MP GPU, 2GB of RAM, 4.99″ Full HD (1920?1080) display and a 13 Megapixel Camera. The device also runs Android 4.2 out of the box. The Galaxy S IV retains the menu, back and home buttons, like its predecessors.

The most interesting thing is that the device supports GSM/WCDMA/LTE networks with an Exynos processor on-board. So that means there will be only a one single variant of the device, the GT-I9500. Previously, Samsung used to release two variants of their high-end devices, for example the GT-I9300 and GT-I9305. One variant used to have GSM connectivity and the other one had LTE connectivity but this is not the case with the Galaxy S IV. The Galaxy S IV will be a world phone.

Source: Sammobile
Link: http://www.sammobile.com/2013/03/03/galaxy-s-ivs-specifications-leak-confirm-exynos-octa-powervr-sgx-544mp/

This is definitely good news. Does anyone have any idea how the PowerVR SGX 544MP stacks up against GPUs like the Adreno 320 and 330?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting data but it could just be an early production test device...especially considering the latest rumors that the Exynos 5 Octa has heat issues and won't be used...

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Source: Sammobile
Link: Galaxy S IV’s specifications leak, confirm Exynos Octa & PowerVR SGX 544MP |?SamMobile

This is definitely good news. Does anyone have any idea how the PowerVR SGX 544MP stacks up against GPUs like the Adreno 320 and 330?

I was looking for a website that compares the recent GPUs. I thought it was AnandTech but, wherever I first saw it, I cannot find it now.

Regardless, if I remember correctly, the PowerVR SGX 544MP falls somewhere in between the Adreno 320 and Adreno 330. Even then, the Adreno 320 is still a more modern chip architecture that supports a few things that the PowerVR SGX 5-series does not. Since I cannot find the original article that compared them, take what I write with a grain of salt but that is the way I remember it. If I am wrong, I am certain someone on this board will correct me. I just ask, however, that if someone does have contradictory information that they post the website or link where they get the information from, for my own edification as well as yours.

Bottom line, from everything I have heard so far, I am really not that impressed with the new Samsung "Octa" chip. It is a BIG.little architecture, meaning that it has four A15 cores to do the "heavy lifting" and four A7 cores to do the more mundane tasks. But the thing is, if you really have so many "mundane" tasks that you need four A7 cores to handle it all, you could still make the argument that one A15 core could still do them all better. Moreover, Android today really does not take advantage of multiple cores and, even if the software did, most people still don't need it. Even if you are doing multiple things on your phone simultaneously, the individual things you are doing on your phone normally do not require so much processing power that they cannot be "time-sliced" on a single core. Truthfully, this hype about which CPU in which smartphone has the most cores is nothing more than marketing hype.

In fact, I remember reading in a few places where Samsung execs basically said as much. One of them even admitted that the reason Samsung choose to use their A9-based quad-core Exynos 4412 instead of the A15-based dual-core Exynos 5250 is because even though their internal testing was showing that the Exynos 5250 was a better chip, their marketing research was showing that people still preferred the Exynos 4412 because it had more cores. Indeed, Samsung might have even cancelled the Exynos 5250 in lieu of a quad-core 5450 (that is, if they haven't essentially cancelled that in favor of "Octa" chips).

Furthermore, regardless of where the PowerVR SGX 544MP compares with the latest Adreno chips, the PowerVR SGX 5-series are themselves "last generation" GPUs. The PowerVR SGX 6-series are about to be introduced, with not only nearly twice the performance but a slew of new programming features and support. The Octa chips aren't even using the best of the PowerVR line.

Like I said, not impressed.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought that the Exynos processor was rumored to be released on the international version of and the US carriers would be getting the Snapdragon 600 processor.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Why powerVR 544 sucks.

1. not OpenGLES 3.0
2. Quite an old GPU so its not overly competitive
3. Power Vr 6 series, T4, Adreno 330 and Mali T65X (X meaning a number but not sure) these gpus will be releasing in new devices soon and the 554 will definitely not be able to compete.

I dont understand samsung, im not sure what it is with them and old GPU's but they seem to love using them. Just like the s3 they go and put in a 2+ year old gpu. What are they thinking?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Why powerVR 544 sucks.

1. not OpenGLES 3.0
2. Quite an old GPU so its not overly competitive
3. Power Vr 6 series, T4, Adreno 330 and Mali T65X (X meaning a number but not sure) these gpus will be releasing in new devices soon and the 554 will definitely not be able to compete.

I dont understand samsung, im not sure what it is with them and old GPU's but they seem to love using them. Just like the s3 they go and put in a 2+ year old gpu. What are they thinking?

I really don't think this is that big of a deal. I mean, how many games even utilize the GPUs in current generation games? Like 5? Maybe less? And who really notices? We've reall gotten to a point where the hardware in phones isn't just good, but good enough. Plus, any serious mobile gamer isn't going to be gaming on their 5 inch phone. They'll either have a decently speced tablet like the iPad 4 or Nexus 10 or a mobile gaming device like Project Shield or the PlayStation Vita.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought that the Exynos processor was rumored to be released on the international version of and the US carriers would be getting the Snapdragon 600 processor.

Yeah that was one rumor, and this is another. Lots of rumors and speculation, nothing official until 3/14.

Heres the proof of it all

There's no proof, just rumors. As I mentioned, that could easily be a test/prototype device that got run through the benchmarks.

I agree about the 544 though...it's ok, but not great. The other likely GPU is the Adreno 320 which is in the same "meh" boat. I'm hoping for a surprise by Samsung or I'll probably be holding out for a Note 3 or new Nexus with a Snapdragon 800 and Adreno 330...only a few months later.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think this is that big of a deal. I mean, how many games even utilize the GPUs in current generation games? Like 5? Maybe less? And who really notices? We've reall gotten to a point where the hardware in phones isn't just good, but good enough. Plus, any serious mobile gamer isn't going to be gaming on their 5 inch phone. They'll either have a decently speced tablet like the iPad 4 or Nexus 10 or a mobile gaming device like Project Shield or the PlayStation Vita.

Everything in the Tegrazone takes full advantage of the Tegra GPU. :)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
START CHANT:

In addition to all that has been mentioned, please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....please have excellent reception, battery life and front facing speakers....

END CHANT

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Most of you have probably already know but I just heard that the GS4 will have wireless charging.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade is in april 2014 and if samsung introduces a new chip and it contains ANOTHER OLD GPU I wont be getting it, I will be getting a qualcomm, tegra 4 or maybe even 5? Or a power vr 6 series device

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3, and I love it. Sticking to the topic, personally, I think the 8 core will be for international devices, and the US version will be a quad core at best. Samsung has done this numerous times in the past, and most likely will again. Happened with the GS2, GS3, and I believe the Note 2.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3, and I love it. Sticking to the topic, personally, I think the 8 core will be for international devices, and the US version will be a quad core at best. Samsung has done this numerous times in the past, and most likely will again. Happened with the GS2, GS3, and I believe the Note 2.

Actually, the Galaxy Note 2 here in the States uses a quad-core, Exynos 4412. By the time the Note 2 was introduced, Samsung said that they had worked out the LTE compatibility issues with their Exynos 4412 chip. And truthfully, I would have been happy enough with a Qualcomm S4 in my AT&T version instead. The Exynos 4412 is an A9 architecture while the Qualcomm S4, although not a true A15 chip, is of the same generation.

I hate to say it but with Samsung it seems to be more and more about marketing hype. For example, to those who do not know any better, four cores sounds better than two cores, regardless of the underlying technology, architecture and performance of the cores involved. Instead of offering the best, Samsung is more interested in offering what sounds like the best even if it's not really any better or even worse. In some ways I cannot argue -- hey, Samsung made a whole lot more money last year than I did -- but more and more I am beginning to start thinking that other manufacturers are starting to make better phones.

But again, looking at Samsung's sales, I am probably in the minority.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If it has the 8core that I have read about, it will be 2 4cores, one for performance and one for power consumption(standby mode,etc), probably just hyperthreaded. If this is the case, it should have pretty good battery life, since it will run at low clocks when not viewing videos and games and such

sent from Galaxy Note 2

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
If it has the 8core that I have read about, it will be 2 4cores, one for performance and one for power consumption(standby mode,etc), probably just hyperthreaded. If this is the case, it should have pretty good battery life, since it will run at low clocks when not viewing videos and games and such

sent from Galaxy Note 2

Same as Tegra 3 then. Does Tegra 4 still have the ninja core?

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

All Note 2s have the the Exynos processor.