It's all about the screen

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I hope the screen on the gs4 is way better than the one on the gs3. Next to my One X it looked dim and grey and was really subpar. I want some "screen" competition so I have more choices this year!

From my HTC One X running ViperXL 3.2

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Not going to lie I do believe the s3 screen is subpar compared to some of the lcd panels. But with how the note 2 screen is much better I hope Samsung will step up their game with the s4. Because I want another good amoled screen

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
One of the many rumors floating about is that the display will be a full HD LCD display versus a Super Amoled HD display. Here's hoping. We will see in eight days.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
One of the many rumors floating about is that the display will be a full HD LCD display versus a Super Amoled HD display. Here's hoping. We will see in eight days.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

That would be great! I love the brightness of the LCD displays!

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Everything I have seen in the speculation column never says that it will be LCD. That is just someone's guess.

The screen on the Note 2 is good. It was made to be put into the Note. I don't see Samsung abandoning their amoled screens for one that uses more battery. As I read somewhere else this morning, Samsung touts the battery savings from the amoled screens, so why change now.
Besides, my last HTC phone I had, the desire was supposed to have some great LCD screen at the time and all it did was look washed out to me.

Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for my next. Decisions, decisions.

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Most of the people who have a "work" smartphone turn down the brightness to save the battery...I do it too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Everything I have seen in the speculation column never says that it will be LCD. That is just someone's guess.

The screen on the Note 2 is good. It was made to be put into the Note. I don't see Samsung abandoning their amoled screens for one that uses more battery. As I read somewhere else this morning, Samsung touts the battery savings from the amoled screens, so why change now.
Besides, my last HTC phone I had, the desire was supposed to have some great LCD screen at the time and all it did was look washed out to me.

Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for my next. Decisions, decisions.

I'd abandon the technology simply because next to HTC's screen technology, the AMOLED looks fairly terrible to my eyes.

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd abandon the technology simply because next to HTC's screen technology, the AMOLED looks fairly terrible to my eyes.

I agree. I go into AT&T with my One X and do side by sides and this screen is still tops! Sometimes by a little and sometimes by a lot but I have yet to find anything that can beat it. That's why I'm hoping Samsung ups their game!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Will not abandon AMOLED and all your other cell phone carriers will eventual switch aswell.
The only reason they have not yet is because OLED technology is in its infancy and at the moment very expensive to mass produce. OLED is not the problem its the Device architecture with in a year or two OLED will easily be much better than LCD.

Samsung limits themselves because they are limited by their production facility, they could improve it more quickly but instead of making the machinary fit the technology they are making the technology fit the machinary because the latter is not as expensive.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Will not abandon AMOLED and all your other cell phone carriers will eventual switch aswell.
The only reason they have not yet is because OLED technology is in its infancy and at the moment very expensive to mass produce. OLED is not the problem its the Device architecture with in a year or two OLED will easily be much better than LCD.

Samsung limits themselves because they are limited by their production facility, they could improve it more quickly but instead of making the machinary fit the technology they are making the technology fit the machinary because the latter is not as expensive.

They won't switch if Samsung is the only company making them. OLED was better than LCD for a time, then it switched. It'll switch again. And then again. It's how it goes. One thing is for sure, they will both always have their trade-offs.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
They won't switch if Samsung is the only company making them. OLED was better than LCD for a time, then it switched. It'll switch again. And then again. It's how it goes. One thing is for sure, they will both always have their trade-offs.
Samsung is not the only company that makes OLED, at the moment LG and Sony are gearing up amongst others. Samsung just happened to be first. And of course they will go back and forth, but where LCD is reaching its limits OLED still has tons of more potential.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well hopefully they make a better case for a mass-immigration to OLED, because I haven't seen a screen that comes close to HTC's current lineup. Maybe the Xperia Z. Maybe the Nexus 4.

For a screen manufacturer, the inconsistencies that plague Samsung screens are absolutely astonishing.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I love IPS compared to AMOLED. My Nexus 4 is incredible, yet when side by side compared to the HTC One X it's still not quite as nice. I can never go back to a Samsung phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well hopefully they make a better case for a mass-immigration to OLED, because I haven't seen a screen that comes close to HTC's current lineup. Maybe the Xperia Z. Maybe the Nexus 4.

For a screen manufacturer, the inconsistencies that plague Samsung screens are absolutely astonishing.

Like i said they are making the technology fit their machinary instead of the other way around. its still early on in the technology and they are basically still developing while they are distributing. LCD technology has been developing since the early 1900s and OLED has only been in development for maybe the last 20yrs and you can see how quickly it is catching up. Even as Samsung is putting out the displays we are already way ahead on molecule development. LCD is great but OLED is on its heals.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I agree, but by the "looks" of the two companies side by side, i'd say Samsung won't try to copy too much of what HTC is doing. It'll be tough to convince Samsung to change when they're clearly doing fine. Hopefully they copy HTC's build quality and screen tech.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for being so defensive, i work on a team that develops Phosphorescent OLED material and Device architectures, so i take it kind of personal. i get upset when i see people writing it off when the technology really has not had a chance to show what it can do so early on in the game.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for being so defensive, i work on a team that develops Phosphorescent OLED material and Device architectures, so i take it kind of personal. i get upset when i see people writing it off when the technology really has not had a chance to show what it can do so early on in the game.
I think people just go with what they like. I've read many people say they like OLED more than the rest too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums