It's all about the screen

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I love IPS compared to AMOLED. My Nexus 4 is incredible, yet when side by side compared to the HTC One X it's still not quite as nice. I can never go back to a Samsung phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Yeah what gives with the Nexus 4 display it has an IPS display yet somethings about it look washed out!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for being so defensive, i work on a team that develops Phosphorescent OLED material and Device architectures, so i take it kind of personal. i get upset when i see people writing it off when the technology really has not had a chance to show what it can do so early on in the game.

Understandable. I'd be a bigger fan of OLED if my GN didn't suffer from burn in, ghosting, and those black blotches :). Looked great the first month or two, though.

It's all personal perspective anyway.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Understandable. I'd be a bigger fan of OLED if my GN didn't suffer from burn in, ghosting, and those black blotches :). Looked great the first month or two, though.

It's all personal perspective anyway.

Burn in is a product of the youth of the technology. Burn in is a result of the blue oled molecules degrading faster than red and green. As new blue molecules are developed to be more robust those effects will be less likely. Just try not to leave static images for long Periods of time. I have 4 oled devices at the moment non have burn in.

I bought a store demo device once that was left on with a message box and that had crazy burn in. I bought it in philly and the store that I was in sold like refurb and trade in devices. The store owner insisted he didn't see burn in, so in my attempt to get a discount I went and flipped the light switch in his store and had the other customers around come look at how bad the burn in was and that he was playing stupid. So I got the device for $75 cheaper. At work we had the same device that we had ripped apart to reverse engineer, so I just swapped the screen and had a brand new device ;).

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Burn in is a product of the youth of the technology. Burn in is a result of the blue oled molecules degrading faster than red and green. As new blue molecules are developed to be more robust those effects will be less likely. Just try not to leave static images for long Periods of time. I have 4 oled devices at the moment non have burn in.

I bought a store demo device once that was left on with a message box and that had crazy burn in. I bought it in philly and the store that I was in sold like refurb and trade in devices. The store owner insisted he didn't see burn in, so in my attempt to get a discount I went and flipped the light switch in his store and had the other customers around come look at how bad the burn in was and that he was playing stupid. So I got the device for $75 cheaper. At work we had the same device that we had ripped apart to reverse engineer, so I just swapped the screen and had a brand new device ;).

They also overload blue because of that quicker burn out rate, no?

The black splotches were less alarming; but having an almost always blue top bar (where the status bar is) is somewhat...depressing.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah what gives with the Nexus 4 display it has an IPS display yet somethings about it look washed out!
People keep saying that but mine doesn't. Lots of people were using apps to tweak the colors etc but mine looks really good. Just not as good as the HTC OneX :D

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
They also overload blue because of that quicker burn out rate, no?

The black splotches were less alarming; but having an almost always blue top bar (where the status bar is) is somewhat...depressing.

They make the blue pixels larger and optimize the overall device structures for blue to make it last longer. This is what limits them. There are solutions for this but samsung has not been able to make the changes yet because of money and time restraints. Those solutions will be available in the tvs though as they made the changes while still putting together the factories.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They make the blue pixels larger and optimize the overall device structures for blue to make it last longer. This is what limits them. There are solutions for this but samsung has not been able to make the changes yet because of money and time restraints. Those solutions will be available in the tvs though as they made the changes while still putting together the factories.

I will say that seeing the OLED tv's at CES was impressive. I thought to myself "if only they could do that with phones...." I don't write any technology off, because you never know when a breakthrough can happen and make it relevant again. Just right now, OLED has a lot of ground to cover.

And for those saying that the N4 screen is washed out, they don't perform any calibration at the factory, so yours might be, but mine isn't. Also, the One X screen is still noticeably better than the N4. Especially side by side.

wilfreb

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
for me Samoled screens are the best, i love the colors and everything about it, and i love the Screen on my GS3, i hope the GS4 keeps getting better.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
both have their advantages/disadvantages.
I love the brightness and crispness and tru colors of the LCD's
but i love the true blacks and "pop" of the SAMOLED screens.

i think they are going to stick with SAMOLED because its what they have been doing for the past 4 years.....and it has been working.
Just make it "zero gap" and 1080P with a rounded glass (not curved) and i would be sold.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I had the HTC EVO LTE, but I went through several replacements due to HW issues and finally ended up with a Samsung Galaxy S3. The first thing I noticed was that the SGS3 screen was barely readable outdoors,while the HTC was very readable. If I'm to stay with Samsung, they've got to change the screen. Period. I'm able to upgrade anyday now on my second line, and I'm leaning towards the new HTC One, but we'll see.

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the HTC EVO LTE, but I went through several replacements due to HW issues and finally ended up with a Samsung Galaxy S3. The first thing I noticed was that the SGS3 screen was barely readable outdoors,while the HTC was very readable. If I'm to stay with Samsung, they've got to change the screen. Period. I'm able to upgrade anyday now on my second line, and I'm leaning towards the new HTC One, but we'll see.

Totally agree. That's the sole reason i jumped to the DNA.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
How do you go on about calibrating the screens?
There is an app called Faux123 that allowed you to do calibration but apparently it won't work anymore in 4.2.2. But there is also another one called screen adjuster that will allow some adjustments. Not gamma though.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Even on full brightness I can't see the screen at all on my S3 in daylight. I welcome the switch if it happens.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is a prediction of sorts. Whatever technology is strongest in the flexible screen market will more than likely be the next big thing. I believe right now that is the OLED even if the market is young for that tech, they are showing a lot of promise.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
There is an app called Faux123 that allowed you to do calibration but apparently it won't work anymore in 4.2.2. But there is also another one called screen adjuster that will allow some adjustments. Not gamma though.

Root required?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Here is a prediction of sorts. Whatever technology is strongest in the flexible screen market will more than likely be the next big thing. I believe right now that is the OLED even if the market is young for that tech, they are showing a lot of promise.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

You won't see lcd screens that are really flexible because the require many layers. Such as back lightning and color filters. You may see some that flex but they won't be able to be rolled up.

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Talking about samoleds, is it even possible to produce one 1080p at the moment? Because most of the rumors I heard about using a different technology in gs4 is just because making a samoled 1080p is very difficult

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37