toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If the images that leaked earlier this morning are indeed the s3 I will be fine with it. With metal on the sides glass front and a plastic back is fine . Yes the iPhone and HTC one will feel more premium but I would rather be able to remove the back cover and switch out my battery. And to tell the truth I value software over build quality

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It's sad when people pass on a phone just because it's made of plastic. People are so petty these days. This phone looks great so far, plus I'd get a case for it regardless of what material it's made of.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For the most part, if you want a removable battery, get used to the idea of plastic. We can get it both ways, but not very likely as a plastic back cover is cheaper to replace should it break because it's removable. I'm still holding out hope that the stupid home button is gone, but have a feeling that the S4 will look almost identical to the S3. That'll make me pass on it and wait to see the X or just wait for the Nexus 5.

I definitely wouldn't go to the iPhone 5 this late in the year from a GNex, because 1. it's a downgrade IMO, at best a side grade and 2. if you're considering Apple, they'll release the next version probably at the same time the SIV becomes available.

Most excited for Nexus 5 or X Phone > HTC One > S4. Sammy brings solid specs, but it's hard to stomach touchwiz barely evolving since gingerbread and phone designs that do the same.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with plastic. It's lighter, easier to produce, and won't ding and dent. People feel the lightness and their brain automatically says junk. But that's far from true. A drop may crack it but it's more likely to crack your glass screen, which is much more brittle. Bottom line - plastic, especially properly specified and formed - is an excellent structural material. I'm perfectly happy with it.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's sad when people pass on a phone just because it's made of plastic. People are so petty these days.
It is not petty, just a personal preference. Some people don't like the feel of a plastic phone. Nothing wrong with a preference for metal over plastic.

I have a GNex and while I value how light the phone is, the plastic casing is so slippery that it flies out of your hand if you are using it without having it in a case. The plastic back is textured so that helps, but the sides are smooth and so slippery it is ridiculous and makes a case mandatory.

So if you don't want to have to use a case with your phone, I can see why someone would pass on a plastic phone. Nothing petty about that at all. Just a different preference.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It is not petty, just a personal preference. Some people don't like the feel of a plastic phone. Nothing wrong with a preference for metal over plastic.

I have a GNex and while I value how light the phone is, the plastic casing is so slippery that it flies out of your hand if you are using it without having it in a case. The plastic back is textured so that helps, but the sides are smooth and so slippery it is ridiculous and makes a case mandatory.

So if you don't want to have to use a case with your phone, I can see why someone would pass on a plastic phone. Nothing petty about that at all. Just a different preference.

It is when they completely ignore the good points of the phone and call it cheaply made which it isn't.

teerone

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Its not just about how it feels like, its about how it looks. Yes it will be a great phone no matter the material its made of. I just like the exterior to match the interior is all.

toujours_frais

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The only good thing about the plastic back is that I wont need to put on any case... If the battery cover breaks, i can just easily find a replacement hahaha

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Would you rather have them dump NFC, replaceable battery, and add weight? Especially if you use a case, who cares what it feels like underneath?

NFC still works with non-plastic phones ~ it's wireless charging that gets silly.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Would you rather have them dump NFC, replaceable battery, and add weight?

kcuf no!

[QUOTE,] Especially if you use a case, who cares what it feels like underneath?[/QUOTE]

True

I would rather see metal though, just make a metal battery back that comes off to change the battery. Problem solved

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It's sad when people pass on a phone just because it's made of plastic. People are so petty these days. This phone looks great so far, plus I'd get a case for it regardless of what material it's made of.

This is how I judge a smartphone :
1.performance( not how epic the specs are, just how optimized it is/ features
2.battery
3. Case look and design.

People have different priorities and I would gladly take the HTC One's metal with non removable battery over Samsung's plastic cover for battery. Now the dream phone would be Samsung's touch wizz and Apples/ HTC's design.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I bet the Samsung Tizen will be metal... according to Lee the upcoming phone will be "the best product equipped with the best specifications."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But the Nexus 4 doesn't have a metal back.

NFC isn't dependent on plastic; nor is wireless charging. Wireless charging has issues that seem prohibitive on devices with aluminum backs; NFC should still work assuming the battery is compatible and other hardware/software are in place. NFC and wireless charging are not the same thing.

I know you haven't said this, but it's been claimed multiple times that Samsung's phone is plastic because of NFC and/or wireless charging; patently not true. It's plastic for Samsung's view of the balance between durability, manufacturing costs and having a removable back cover that can be cheaply replaced should in bend or break, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman