06-17-2013 11:10 PM
89 1234
tools
    I hope companies follow Google's philosophy and sell phones retail for $300.
    Google subsidized that phone. It is not profitable at that price point for the manufacturers.

Google doesn't make its profits from hardware sales, it makes them through advertising and the playstore. Perhaps in the future other products, too, like Google Wallet will be profitable. Selling a subsidized developer android phone that incorporates Google's search and playstore products results in profits for Google but not because of the hardware sale; it's because of the revenue generated by those who use the phone to develop apps and buy apps/media at the playstore and use the google search/gmail feature to receive advertising.
    Ry, Workodactyl and Etios like this.
    03-12-2013 02:02 PM
    Google subsidized that phone. It is not profitable at that price point for the manufacturers.

Google doesn't make its profits from hardware sales, it makes them through advertising and the playstore. Perhaps in the future other products, too, like Google Wallet will be profitable. Selling a subsidized developer android phone that incorporates Google's search and playstore products results in profits for Google but not because of the hardware sale; it's because of the revenue generated by those who use the phone to develop apps and buy apps/media at the playstore and use the google search/gmail feature to receive advertising.
    Exactly.

People seem to get caught up in the cost of components and think that's how everyone should sell their products.

$200 to $300 for the hardware + cost to develop software for that hardware + cost to assemble device + packing materials + shipping + marketing. It all adds up. It's fine for Google who can use their search business to subsidize the hardware cost. But look at Motorola (pre-Google) and HTC. Even at the "regular" prices, Motorola loses money and HTC's revenues are shrinking.
    androidluvr2 and Etios like this.
    03-12-2013 02:04 PM
    If I'm right, then Samsung needs to find 80 to 90 million new customers in addition to the ones who bought GSIII last year. .
    That's assuming everyone's contract ends at the same time. There may be 90 million contracts ending near the release of S4. They could choose the S3 but why would they. The latest is the greatest.
    03-12-2013 03:45 PM
    If state of the art software is the primary concern, buy Nexus. The Nexus 5 will have better spec's than the S4, a worse camera and the next version of Android, + fastest updates of any device around. It'll then be topped within a couple of months in the spec's game by the Note 3, which will be immediately answered by LG, HTC and Sony with better devices, then the SGV. Rinse; repeat.
    03-12-2013 06:26 PM
    Never underestimate the power of a renewal subsidy and eager sales person! It will sell!
    03-12-2013 06:29 PM
    Agree with all of your observations : )

One way they could entice customers that aren't due for an upgrade is to do what you said about cutting the price, but in order for it to not look like a "fire sale", they ought to charge a low price out of the starting gate.

Try selling the SGS IV for $399.00 outright, no contract, carriers be damned. Word of mouth would sell that baby QUICK, and they could save billions of their advertising budget... There's your 80 to 90 million NEW customers

BTC
    Aquila likes this.
    03-12-2013 07:32 PM
    The S4 is dead on arrival. It is just a S3S. The body is exactly the same and most would be fine with that if the body and hardware wasn't absolutely HORRENDOUS and crappy.
    But it isn't horrendous or crappy so moat are fine with it.

I'm fine with a spec but but yeah it is the GS3S

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    03-12-2013 07:41 PM
    That's like saying the Nexus 4 was DoA - similar look, minor upgrade in specs (other than quad-core) & both with the same OS version.

N4 definitely wasn't DoA & neither will the S4.
    Woah Woah. The build quality alone was reason enough for me to upgrade in less than a year and I'm sure a lot of people thought the same. The gNex feels like a toy compared to my n4.

I think OP is spot on. If the leaks are for real and they are using the same plastics there's not even one reason to upgrade from the s3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    03-12-2013 07:45 PM
    Try selling the SGS IV for $399.00 outright, no contract, carriers be damned.
    That only works for GSM phones. For CDMA phones, you can't make a phone with a CDMA radio that will work on the carriers' network without the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries. And you can't use the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries without their cooperation.

This is why there is no CDMA Nexus 4.
    03-12-2013 08:19 PM
    That only works for GSM phones. For CDMA phones, you can't make a phone with a CDMA radio that will work on the carriers' network without the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries. And you can't use the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries without their cooperation.

ok then, so 80 to 90 million NEW gsm customers...lol
    03-12-2013 08:47 PM

CDMA phones are so 90's......................
    GadgetgirL76 likes this.
    03-12-2013 08:51 PM
    ok then, so 80 to 90 million NEW gsm customers...lol
    If it weren't for my unthrottled, unlimited 4G LTE data plan on VZW, I would be one of them!
    Aquila likes this.
    03-12-2013 09:14 PM

I did not know this. That said, the philosophy still rings through, unlocked phones at an affordable price point is the way to go--for Google at least. I understand now that other manufacturers won't be so fortunate. Unless they all made Nexus devices, and Google subsidized them all, haha. Or perhaps, they haven't found a clever way to make phones affordable sans contract, nor do the manufacturers care to though either, right?
    03-12-2013 10:18 PM
    People will constantly need to upgrade, always want something new. I don't think Samsung needs to change the game, they're pretty successful at least in most people's opinion. I won't be getting it. But I know many people will.

I would agree about cutting the price though, as I feel like the GSIII hasn't been out long enough for Samsung to introduce a new device, and charge crazy amounts of money for it. Maybe because because I'm cheap.
    03-13-2013 12:00 AM
    If people want it bad enough, they will upgrade. Also from what I'm seeing it won't just be android users picking up the s4... It seems that apple hasn't changed up their game very much leaving their customer base unsatisfied with their product. With the S3 launching Samsung right up there with apple it could be very possible that with the S4 some apple customers may be tempted more than ever to jump ship.

Just my 2 cents.
    03-13-2013 12:22 AM
    I did not know this. That said, the philosophy still rings through, unlocked phones at an affordable price point is the way to go--for Google at least. I understand now that other manufacturers won't be so fortunate. Unless they all made Nexus devices, and Google subsidized them all, haha. Or perhaps, they haven't found a clever way to make phones affordable sans contract, nor do the manufacturers care to though either, right?
    The OEM absolutely can afford to sell it unlocked for way less.. but they can't get Verizon or AT&T to sell it to you without a cut in the margin. Currently very few people go to Samsung.com to order their phone, they go to Verizon or AT&T or Best Buy, etc. Even the Nexus 4 is WAY more expensive to get it through any carrier.
    Workodactyl likes this.
    03-13-2013 03:37 AM
    I don't think that will happen, either. What I think will happen is that people who are eligible for an upgrade will look and see what new phones VZW has and then use their upgrade. The GS4 will be one of the top picks of those who upgrade.

There also will be some new VZW customers who will be eligible for a subsidized phone and the GS4 will be one of the top picks of those new customers.
    You speak as if all of us are on VZW, and live in the states. I'm on AT&T, and have an available upgrade ready. However I'd be less tempted to upgrade if the leaks were true(I'm a GS3 owner). I'd rather wait for the Note3. However I'm passing my S3 along, and would rather do so while it's still current. If the GS4 doesn't wow me, I might give the HTC ONE a go.
    PS The idea that this phone is DOA is ridiculous, Samsung has a ton of momentum right now, and will be just fine.

[quoted post deleted by moderator]

So you've actually seen, and used an actual Galaxy S4? Please tell us, how was it? So far all I've seen are leaks from everyone but Samsung. Almost reminds me of the dummy GS3 leaks from last year. Until Samsung officially announces the GS4, no one here has seen it!
    Aquila likes this.
    03-13-2013 07:52 AM
    You speak as if all of us are on VZW, and live in the states.
    Same principal no matter what carrier you are with or where you live. When people are ready for a new phone no matter whether an upgrade or if they are going to buy it outright and no matter which carrier they are with, they will look at the phones currently available and the GS4 will be a top pick for those who can afford it.
    03-13-2013 08:27 AM
    My sister and brother-in-law both have Motorola's right now and are DYING to switch to the S4. I have an S3 now and there's a good chance I'll be one of those people that drop full retail on an S4 when it comes to Verizon (assuming the boot loader can be unlocked).

Regarding the OP's comments about updates -- if they are that important to someone buying a phone, they should get a Nexus device, otherwise, you really should never *EXPECT* more than 1 major update in a phone's lifetime (not counting minor updates with security patches and bug fixes, etc). Sometimes, especially with flagship phones like the Galaxy S line, you'll get more than that, but honestly, to expect more than that will probably leave you disappointed...unless you root and take matters into your own hands.
    Golfdriver97 and Aquila like this.
    03-13-2013 08:46 AM
    you really should never *EXPECT* more than 1 major update in a phone's lifetime (not counting minor updates with security patches and bug fixes, etc). Sometimes, especially with flagship phones like the Galaxy S line, you'll get more than that, but honestly, to expect more than that will probably leave you disappointed...unless you root and take matters into your own hands.
    yeah, I think it is unreasonable to expect more given the 18-20 month upgrade cycle. The current system has evolved such that people are eligible for a subsidized phone every 18-20 months depending on which carrier you are with and so you can expect your phone to be up to speed for about that period of time and then you are expected to move on to newer hardware.
    03-13-2013 09:04 AM
    the SGS3 was the first Android flagship phone in terms of android users coalescing in large numbers behind a single handset. I think that momentum alone will carry into the SGS4, and it will easily outsell the SGS3 (barring significant flaws). While Android's variety is a strength, never underestimate the herd mentality of humans.
    03-13-2013 11:35 AM
    I don't think purchasers of the GS3 were limited to GS1 users either.
    You are correct there. I gave my MOTO RAZR MAXX to my son and paid full price for my SIII and could not be happier with a phone. I will be going for the S4 when it comes out on VZW and paying full price.
    03-13-2013 11:41 AM
    I do think the GS3 was a game changer for the smartphone industry and the Android community. It was the phone without compromise (except to certain extent battery life, but you can swap battery and any smartphone will fail in a day if you beat on it enough). For non-tech folk it was the phone they could feel safe buying. I think it was also the phone that could convert you long term to Android. Frankly, I think two or three years ago a lot of Android phones actually did the opposite. My GF will probably never buy an android after her experience with a cheap one three years ago that worked badly and broke quickly. She switched to an iPhone 4 and still uses it today (though she can upgrade and I'm getting her to hold out until GS4 is released to give her one more chance to make an informed decision before she gets her iPhone 5).

Since the GSIII was so important, I think the launch of GS4 tomorrow is huge. But the phone will be plastic and it will be based off of 4.2 (I was wrong about it being 4.1 it seams). So will it be a hit compared to the other flagship phones? Anything less than 100 million sold is a failure, right?
    03-13-2013 11:56 AM
    For non-tech folk it was the phone they could feel safe buying.
    What about the GS2? Was ICS that much of a difference?
    03-13-2013 12:43 PM
    I know at the beginning of May a bunch of underwhelmed Bionic users will be eligible for the latest and greatest, myself included. I don't know how many times I almost pulled the trigger on a SIII but patiently waited for this phone (or the Note III).
    03-13-2013 01:07 PM
89 1234