Isn't GS4 by definition dead on arrival?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Really? You mean if I buy a flagship Android phone this summer, I should be okay if I'm not eventually running Android 5? That doesn't seem fair.

For you, it won't seem fair. For most, they won't even know.

You and the ones who care about that are not the majority.

Plus with the OEM's interface, the underlying OS version doesn't matter that much anyway.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Odd how you dismiss all the other phones (like the GSII) that people will be upgrading from. Keep in mind most "normal" US customers are on a 2 year cycle (contract) between upgrades. So there's a whole slew of customers itching for a new phone right about now.

I'm personally content with my GSIII and will probably hold off for the GS5 next year (or whatever the best phone is at that time). But you seem to think GSIII customers are the only market....

EXACTLY what he said........GS3 owners are not the only Android consumers looking for a updated device.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, personally, I am not a big fan of the HTC (ever since the thunderbolt debacle), and I love the solid build and simplicity of Motorola's hardware and software, respectively, and would be ready to throw a few bucks at a Nexus 4 or any Nexus that is unlocked, but I'm currently limited to Verizon's service, which doesn't even have the HTC One, any new Moto phone, and no Nexus 4 or unlocked devices. So I guess I either leave Verizon, which currently isn't in the cards, or go with the S4, because what really are my other choices... iPhone? Wow--I feel trapped lol.

DAMN YOU, VERIZON!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Odd how you dismiss all the other phones (like the GSII) that people will be upgrading from. Keep in mind most "normal" US customers are on a 2 year cycle (contract) between upgrades. So there's a whole slew of customers itching for a new phone right about now.

I'm personally content with my GSIII and will probably hold off for the GS5 next year (or whatever the best phone is at that time). But you seem to think GSIII customers are the only market....

The OP doesn't realize that HTC, Moto, LG, and all the other makes are losing marketshare to Samsung. HTC is the next most popular (in the US) at about 10%. So anyone who is leaving HTC, LG, etc are possibly going to shift to Samsung. People are leaving iOS for Android, and just by numbers, possibly going to Samsung. RIMM is about to die if they aren't careful, and still might even if they are.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope companies follow Google's philosophy and sell phones retail for $300.
Google subsidized that phone. It is not profitable at that price point for the manufacturers.

Google doesn't make its profits from hardware sales, it makes them through advertising and the playstore. Perhaps in the future other products, too, like Google Wallet will be profitable. Selling a subsidized developer android phone that incorporates Google's search and playstore products results in profits for Google but not because of the hardware sale; it's because of the revenue generated by those who use the phone to develop apps and buy apps/media at the playstore and use the google search/gmail feature to receive advertising.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google subsidized that phone. It is not profitable at that price point for the manufacturers.

Google doesn't make its profits from hardware sales, it makes them through advertising and the playstore. Perhaps in the future other products, too, like Google Wallet will be profitable. Selling a subsidized developer android phone that incorporates Google's search and playstore products results in profits for Google but not because of the hardware sale; it's because of the revenue generated by those who use the phone to develop apps and buy apps/media at the playstore and use the google search/gmail feature to receive advertising.

Exactly.

People seem to get caught up in the cost of components and think that's how everyone should sell their products.

$200 to $300 for the hardware + cost to develop software for that hardware + cost to assemble device + packing materials + shipping + marketing. It all adds up. It's fine for Google who can use their search business to subsidize the hardware cost. But look at Motorola (pre-Google) and HTC. Even at the "regular" prices, Motorola loses money and HTC's revenues are shrinking.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If I'm right, then Samsung needs to find 80 to 90 million new customers in addition to the ones who bought GSIII last year. .

That's assuming everyone's contract ends at the same time. There may be 90 million contracts ending near the release of S4. They could choose the S3 but why would they. The latest is the greatest.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If state of the art software is the primary concern, buy Nexus. The Nexus 5 will have better spec's than the S4, a worse camera and the next version of Android, + fastest updates of any device around. It'll then be topped within a couple of months in the spec's game by the Note 3, which will be immediately answered by LG, HTC and Sony with better devices, then the SGV. Rinse; repeat.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Agree with all of your observations : )

One way they could entice customers that aren't due for an upgrade is to do what you said about cutting the price, but in order for it to not look like a "fire sale", they ought to charge a low price out of the starting gate.

Try selling the SGS IV for $399.00 outright, no contract, carriers be damned. Word of mouth would sell that baby QUICK, and they could save billions of their advertising budget... There's your 80 to 90 million NEW customers :-X

BTC

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The S4 is dead on arrival. It is just a S3S. The body is exactly the same and most would be fine with that if the body and hardware wasn't absolutely HORRENDOUS and crappy.

But it isn't horrendous or crappy so moat are fine with it.

I'm fine with a spec but but yeah it is the GS3S

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

morrsn

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
That's like saying the Nexus 4 was DoA - similar look, minor upgrade in specs (other than quad-core) & both with the same OS version.

N4 definitely wasn't DoA & neither will the S4.

Woah Woah. The build quality alone was reason enough for me to upgrade in less than a year and I'm sure a lot of people thought the same. The gNex feels like a toy compared to my n4.

I think OP is spot on. If the leaks are for real and they are using the same plastics there's not even one reason to upgrade from the s3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Try selling the SGS IV for $399.00 outright, no contract, carriers be damned.
That only works for GSM phones. For CDMA phones, you can't make a phone with a CDMA radio that will work on the carriers' network without the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries. And you can't use the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries without their cooperation.

This is why there is no CDMA Nexus 4.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
That only works for GSM phones. For CDMA phones, you can't make a phone with a CDMA radio that will work on the carriers' network without the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries. And you can't use the carriers' proprietary CDMA binaries without their cooperation.

ok then, so 80 to 90 million NEW gsm customers...lol

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

CDMA phones are so 90's......................;)

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

I did not know this. That said, the philosophy still rings through, unlocked phones at an affordable price point is the way to go--for Google at least. I understand now that other manufacturers won't be so fortunate. Unless they all made Nexus devices, and Google subsidized them all, haha. Or perhaps, they haven't found a clever way to make phones affordable sans contract, nor do the manufacturers care to though either, right?

Rizzleman716

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
People will constantly need to upgrade, always want something new. I don't think Samsung needs to change the game, they're pretty successful at least in most people's opinion. I won't be getting it. But I know many people will.

I would agree about cutting the price though, as I feel like the GSIII hasn't been out long enough for Samsung to introduce a new device, and charge crazy amounts of money for it. Maybe because because I'm cheap.

johnlee72

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If people want it bad enough, they will upgrade. Also from what I'm seeing it won't just be android users picking up the s4... It seems that apple hasn't changed up their game very much leaving their customer base unsatisfied with their product. With the S3 launching Samsung right up there with apple it could be very possible that with the S4 some apple customers may be tempted more than ever to jump ship.

Just my 2 cents.