Isn't GS4 by definition dead on arrival?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I did not know this. That said, the philosophy still rings through, unlocked phones at an affordable price point is the way to go--for Google at least. I understand now that other manufacturers won't be so fortunate. Unless they all made Nexus devices, and Google subsidized them all, haha. Or perhaps, they haven't found a clever way to make phones affordable sans contract, nor do the manufacturers care to though either, right?

The OEM absolutely can afford to sell it unlocked for way less.. but they can't get Verizon or AT&T to sell it to you without a cut in the margin. Currently very few people go to Samsung.com to order their phone, they go to Verizon or AT&T or Best Buy, etc. Even the Nexus 4 is WAY more expensive to get it through any carrier.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that will happen, either. What I think will happen is that people who are eligible for an upgrade will look and see what new phones VZW has and then use their upgrade. The GS4 will be one of the top picks of those who upgrade.

There also will be some new VZW customers who will be eligible for a subsidized phone and the GS4 will be one of the top picks of those new customers.
You speak as if all of us are on VZW, and live in the states. I'm on AT&T, and have an available upgrade ready. However I'd be less tempted to upgrade if the leaks were true(I'm a GS3 owner). I'd rather wait for the Note3. However I'm passing my S3 along, and would rather do so while it's still current. If the GS4 doesn't wow me, I might give the HTC ONE a go.
PS The idea that this phone is DOA is ridiculous, Samsung has a ton of momentum right now, and will be just fine.

[quoted post deleted by moderator]

So you've actually seen, and used an actual Galaxy S4? Please tell us, how was it? So far all I've seen are leaks from everyone but Samsung. Almost reminds me of the dummy GS3 leaks from last year. Until Samsung officially announces the GS4, no one here has seen it!

Last edited by a moderator:

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You speak as if all of us are on VZW, and live in the states.
Same principal no matter what carrier you are with or where you live. When people are ready for a new phone no matter whether an upgrade or if they are going to buy it outright and no matter which carrier they are with, they will look at the phones currently available and the GS4 will be a top pick for those who can afford it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My sister and brother-in-law both have Motorola's right now and are DYING to switch to the S4. I have an S3 now and there's a good chance I'll be one of those people that drop full retail on an S4 when it comes to Verizon (assuming the boot loader can be unlocked).

Regarding the OP's comments about updates -- if they are that important to someone buying a phone, they should get a Nexus device, otherwise, you really should never *EXPECT* more than 1 major update in a phone's lifetime (not counting minor updates with security patches and bug fixes, etc). Sometimes, especially with flagship phones like the Galaxy S line, you'll get more than that, but honestly, to expect more than that will probably leave you disappointed...unless you root and take matters into your own hands.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
you really should never *EXPECT* more than 1 major update in a phone's lifetime (not counting minor updates with security patches and bug fixes, etc). Sometimes, especially with flagship phones like the Galaxy S line, you'll get more than that, but honestly, to expect more than that will probably leave you disappointed...unless you root and take matters into your own hands.
yeah, I think it is unreasonable to expect more given the 18-20 month upgrade cycle. The current system has evolved such that people are eligible for a subsidized phone every 18-20 months depending on which carrier you are with and so you can expect your phone to be up to speed for about that period of time and then you are expected to move on to newer hardware.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
the SGS3 was the first Android flagship phone in terms of android users coalescing in large numbers behind a single handset. I think that momentum alone will carry into the SGS4, and it will easily outsell the SGS3 (barring significant flaws). While Android's variety is a strength, never underestimate the herd mentality of humans.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think purchasers of the GS3 were limited to GS1 users either.
You are correct there. I gave my MOTO RAZR MAXX to my son and paid full price for my SIII and could not be happier with a phone. I will be going for the S4 when it comes out on VZW and paying full price.

JonCBK

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I do think the GS3 was a game changer for the smartphone industry and the Android community. It was the phone without compromise (except to certain extent battery life, but you can swap battery and any smartphone will fail in a day if you beat on it enough). For non-tech folk it was the phone they could feel safe buying. I think it was also the phone that could convert you long term to Android. Frankly, I think two or three years ago a lot of Android phones actually did the opposite. My GF will probably never buy an android after her experience with a cheap one three years ago that worked badly and broke quickly. She switched to an iPhone 4 and still uses it today (though she can upgrade and I'm getting her to hold out until GS4 is released to give her one more chance to make an informed decision before she gets her iPhone 5).

Since the GSIII was so important, I think the launch of GS4 tomorrow is huge. But the phone will be plastic and it will be based off of 4.2 (I was wrong about it being 4.1 it seams). So will it be a hit compared to the other flagship phones? Anything less than 100 million sold is a failure, right?

millerliteboy

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I know at the beginning of May a bunch of underwhelmed Bionic users will be eligible for the latest and greatest, myself included. I don't know how many times I almost pulled the trigger on a SIII but patiently waited for this phone (or the Note III).

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The GS4 is more powerful and has other features the GS3 won't get for months... Don't get left behind!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The GS4 is more powerful and has other features the GS3 won't get for months... Don't get left behind!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Unless your a time traveler you have no idea what the s4 will bring yet. It's a given it will be more powerful but design or software wise we have no clue until tomorrow night.

E4GTUser94

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
What about the GS2? Was ICS that much of a difference?

ICS was a pretty big difference from GB for us, I'm still on my S2 right now, but it's running JB leak. So we got 2 major upgrades! Boy are we lucky, and JB is an even bigger difference from ICS!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

brpost

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Droid Charge and Incredible 2 users will be ready to upgrade very soon. I've been planning on an S3, but now I'll probably just grab the S4 instead, assuming it's not ridiculously more expensive than the S3.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Droid Charge and Incredible 2 users will be ready to upgrade very soon. I've been planning on an S3, but now I'll probably just grab the S4 instead, assuming it's not ridiculously more expensive than the S3.
S3 is now $100 on best buy with 2 year contract and the S4 will be $300. I am sure S3 will drop to $50 soon.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
S3 is now $100 on best buy with 2 year contract and the S4 will be $300. I am sure S3 will drop to $50 soon.
I got my GNex in the fall for $50 because the GS3 was the new it phone selling for $299 with 2-year upgrade. Guess the GNex will be a free phone now, but it is a year old. I didn't want to spend $300 for a phone which is how I made my decision on which phone to get, but if the N4 is that much better, I might have to consider getting one since I'll only be out $49. And I upgraded from a flip phone, not a smart phone. And in Washington, DC everyone has an iPhone or Blackberry. Androids just are not used corporately and until that changes, iPhone will continue to have a large part of the market that they stole from RIM and Nextel.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I got my GNex in the fall for $50 because the GS3 was the new it phone selling for $299 with 2-year upgrade. Guess the GNex will be a free phone now, but it is a year old. I didn't want to spend $300 for a phone which is how I made my decision on which phone to get, but if the N4 is that much better, I might have to consider getting one since I'll only be out $49. And I upgraded from a flip phone, not a smart phone. And in Washington, DC everyone has an iPhone or Blackberry. Androids just are not used corporately and until that changes, iPhone will continue to have a large part of the market that they stole from RIM and Nextel.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Got my Gnex for free in Nov also upgraded from a s2.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
but if the N4 is that much better, I might have to consider getting one since I'll only be out $49.

There is no CDMA Nexus 4 and won't ever be one so as long as you are on Sprint, it's not an option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173