After seeing some of the new photos that have leaked I must say I'm a little bit disappointed! I love the S3 over all but I have grown to hate the home button. I bet I'm the only one but does anyone else feel this way? It will keep me from getting the S4 I think and getting on the Nexus device band wagon. Not to take away from the S4's badassness! I'm sure it will still be a very successful device and a nice one at that. How do the rest of you feel about this?
    03-12-2013 08:30 AM
    From the leaked video it still has the home button.
    03-12-2013 08:34 AM
    After seeing some of the new photos that have leaked I must say I'm a little bit disappointed! I love the S3 over all but I have grown to hate the home button. I bet I'm the only one but does anyone else feel this way? It will keep me from getting the S4 I think and getting on the Nexus device band wagon. Not to take away from the S4's badassness! I'm sure it will still be a very successful device and a nice one at that. How do the rest of you feel about this?
    Not a dealbreaker. Now if they put a retractable antenna on it, that would be a different story.
    Christopher Salse likes this.
    03-12-2013 09:00 AM
    I personally prefer a physical home button on my S3.
    03-12-2013 09:15 AM
    I love the physical home button I prefer it to onscreen keys. Honestly the only thing better would be gestures were I get the full resolution of my display but a clean appearance
    Christopher Salse likes this.
    03-12-2013 09:22 AM
    to me one of the best features of all galaxy phones is home button, mainly bc I don't have to reach up to unlock the phone.
    03-12-2013 09:42 AM
    I know many people love it. I did at first as well. I have big hands so the power button on the side is not really an issue for me. But if it does have the home button it won't slow the phone from flying off the shelf I'm sure! (I'm not nit picky I guess.)
    03-12-2013 10:11 AM
    I know many people love it. I did at first as well. I have big hands so the power button on the side is not really an issue for me. But if it does have the home button it won't slow the phone from flying off the shelf I'm sure! (I'm not nit picky I guess.)
    I see your point, everyone has their preferences just like for me the gs3 build material is absolutely not acceptable for a high end product and if the gs4 is the same fisher-price plastic like gs3 I know HTC will be getting my money.
    03-12-2013 10:24 AM
    I totally understand those who want a metal and glass phone I had the iPhone 5 and evo lte they both felt premium And like little works of art. I now have the s3 and guess what up don't have an issue with the plastic. Especially once I got the flip case which made the battery door thicker. My thing is I choose function over form. Yes Samsung can make a metal and plastic back to this phone but as long as the phone works and doesn't feel like a brick I'm good. I would rather have soft touch on plastic than just pure cold metal
    03-12-2013 11:30 AM
    I see your point, everyone has their preferences just like for me the gs3 build material is absolutely not acceptable for a high end product and if the gs4 is the same fisher-price plastic like gs3 I know HTC will be getting my money.
    HTC does make some nice phones. However I never found the S3 to feel "cheap" or anything like that. I found HTC's sense to suck with its lack of keeping apps open in real time. Killing them was a deal breaker for me so I sold my HOX. Loved that screen though! But as far the build go they both felt equally as good in the hand IMO. But this is one of the reasons why I like the Android OS. Clear choice for the customer! UI and all!
    03-12-2013 11:35 AM
    to me one of the best features of all galaxy phones is home button, mainly bc I don't have to reach up to unlock the phone.
    I too love the home button. I use it to turn on the phone, close out of apps, see what programs are running,... I just don't get the animosity to it.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.
    03-12-2013 01:35 PM
    i bet $$ the s4 will have a note 2 style home button.
    03-12-2013 01:56 PM
    HTC does make some nice phones. However I never found the S3 to feel "cheap" or anything like that. I found HTC's sense to suck with its lack of keeping apps open in real time. Killing them was a deal breaker for me so I sold my HOX. Loved that screen though! But as far the build go they both felt equally as good in the hand IMO. But this is one of the reasons why I like the Android OS. Clear choice for the customer! UI and all!
    For me all skins sense, touchwiz all completely suck, the first thing I do is install CayanogenMod on all my phones as soon as they are available. However to me the GS3 is the cheapest feel built phone I have held in my hand thus far and I go through at least one phone each month. I don't think there is a high end phone I have not owned and I have been really disappointed with the build quality of Samsung phones since the GS2 I9100.
    03-13-2013 08:14 AM
    I too love the home button. I use it to turn on the phone, close out of apps, see what programs are running,... I just don't get the animosity to it.

The animosity is not to having a home button, but rather to having the home button being hard instead of soft. Aside from turning on the phone, soft buttons can do all the things you mention. The hard button looks and feels cheap to me. But I think what mostly bothers me is that you have to push it differently than any other buttons or icons. It is not unusual for me to lightly touch it, just as I do the back or menu buttons, which of course does nothing.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    03-13-2013 10:38 AM
    The animosity is not to having a home button, but rather to having the home button being hard instead of soft. Aside from turning on the phone, soft buttons can do all the things you mention. The hard button looks and feels cheap to me. But I think what mostly bothers me is that you have to push it differently than any other buttons or icons. It is not unusual for me to lightly touch it, just as I do the back or menu buttons, which of course does nothing.
    Ah. Thanks for explaining that.

This really is a different strokes issue. I like the hard button exactly for the reasons you don't. I like feeling the dtente of the key when I push it and I like being able to feel the difference between short and long passes.

I don't like the soft keys because the icons are ugly and they interfere with my themes and skins--and I don't like the look of two docks. And I don't want to hide the main dock because... Well, I don't.

I too have used countless phones, each for a month or six weeks. I've used some phones with beautifully engineered hardware. Holding a phone like that is like... It's like holding a beautifully machined pistol. It has weight to it, and balance, and feels substantial without feeling heavy.

However, most of us are looking for thinner and lighter in our phones. Plastic is cheaper and, if good quality, lighter. And the placement of the power and volume controls, as well as the headphone jack and the micro USB port - - those things matter.

Rounded corners vs. squared corners - - that's just cosmetics. For me, it's the innards that matter: processors, radios, antennae, displays. I can always change my shade of lipstick. (Which, for the record, I don't wear.)

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.
    03-13-2013 12:25 PM