03-21-2013 07:28 PM
244 12345 ...
tools
    It's a S3 with a whole lot of gimmicks.
    Yes. That's why they call it the S4.

I didn't mind the presentation. Was more interested in the content than the delivery. I was impressed with new specs and technology. Looking forward to this coming to the Note 3.

sent from my Note 2
    03-14-2013 07:09 PM
    A big question is; they appear to have catered this event to the non-tech inclined, or the Isheep folk who fall for marketing gimmicks but one can wonder if they didn't horribly fail at successfully conveying that. It was a laundry list of "features" and while some are somewhat impressive, I'll betcha that the "target audience" for this show won't even use a third of those things during the time they will have the device.
    Xsie likes this.
    03-14-2013 07:12 PM
    best phone in the universe for at least 2 more months, and still not good enough! Awesome hardware, awesome feature set, awesome camera software, terrible UI, terrible home button :S
    03-14-2013 07:14 PM
    Oh my gosh... What did I jut watch??

bungaboy likes this.
    03-14-2013 07:18 PM
    best phone in the universe for at least 2 more months, and still not good enough! Awesome hardware, awesome feature set, awesome camera software, terrible UI, terrible home button :S
    Only if you hate physical buttons and Touchwiz. Not everyone does.
    03-14-2013 07:20 PM
    I know ui aesthetics are subjective but I find it hard to believe that anyone would prefer the ui of touchwiz over stock android.
    Aquila and Diordna11 like this.
    03-14-2013 07:25 PM
    Samsung Galaxy S4 hands-on - YouTube
    It still lags.
    03-14-2013 07:26 PM
    It's a S3 with a whole lot of gimmicks. The camera is nice though.
    Better camera, better/bigger screen, bigger battery, many more features, better accessories and integration with entertainment systems/vehicles. Did you want it to do your laundry and make you dinner?
    Christopher Salse likes this.
    03-14-2013 07:26 PM
    I love some of the features that Touchwiz provides, but the UI doesn't have to look like that to accomplish the same feature set. Google has provided an outstanding UI and application design structure, and Samsung continues to ignore it with their 2011 appearance. It's frustrating.

The need for physical buttons also went away with ICS 4.0 in 2011, yet we're still seeing them over and over. I haven't owned a Samsung product since the GNex, mostly because I play with them in the stores and that button feels cheap and unreliable. That may just be the display models, but I can't understand why Samsung is 6 months ahead of other OEMs in features, but 2 years behind in design of UI and hardware. Taking some queues from Google and HTC, etc. would be a great benefit to them and consumers.

The main benefit of the S4 to me is that it sets a new bar for the other really great phones of 2nd and 3rd quarter to surpass; just like the S3 did last year. This phone is awesome, and I hope it sells well; but their refusal to recognize that 2 years have passed since ICS is incentive enough for many to wait for the X Phone, Nexus 5, etc, which are both expected to be leaps and bounds ahead of the Q1 releases by HTC, LG and Samsung.
    03-14-2013 07:27 PM
    I know ui aesthetics are subjective but I find it hard to believe that anyone would prefer the ui of touchwiz over stock android.
    Which device (other than a Nexus device) do you recommend with stock Android?

(P.S. - I have a Nexus 10 but I want my phone to be able to connect to AT&T's LTE network.)
    03-14-2013 07:27 PM
    Better camera, better/bigger screen, bigger battery, many more features, better accessories and integration with entertainment systems/vehicles. Did you want it to do your laundry and make you dinner?
    All gimmicks without a new design.
    Xsie likes this.
    03-14-2013 07:29 PM
    people are not complaining about lack of features. Amount of features is not the only determining factor of a quality handset. People are complaining about the build quality and plenty of redundant features with google services such as s voice.
    Aquila, chris2k5 and Xsie like this.
    03-14-2013 07:29 PM
    All gimmicks without a new design.
    Why do they have to come out with a new design every model? I think the design of the S3/S4 is perfectly fine and so do 40+ million people.
    03-14-2013 07:30 PM
    I love some of the features that Touchwiz provides, but the UI doesn't have to look like that to accomplish the same feature set. Google has provided an outstanding UI and application design structure, and Samsung continues to ignore it with their 2011 appearance. It's frustrating.

The need for physical buttons also went away with ICS 4.0 in 2011, yet we're still seeing them over and over. I haven't owned a Samsung product since the GNex, mostly because I play with them in the stores and that button feels cheap and unreliable. That may just be the display models, but I can't understand why Samsung is 6 months ahead of other OEMs in features, but 2 years behind in design of UI and hardware. Taking some queues from Google and HTC, etc. would be a great benefit to them and consumers.

The main benefit of the S4 to me is that it sets a new bar for the other really great phones of 2nd and 3rd quarter to surpass; just like the S3 did last year. This phone is awesome, and I hope it sells well; but their refusal to recognize that 2 years have passed since ICS is incentive enough for many to wait for the X Phone, Nexus 5, etc, which are both expected to be leaps and bounds ahead of the Q1 releases by HTC, LG and Samsung.
    There are some people that like the physical button and some that don't really care, just cause there isn't a need for it doesn't mean it should fade from existence altogether. Not yet anyway.
    Aquila likes this.
    Which device (other than a Nexus device) do you recommend with stock Android?

(P.S. - I have a Nexus 10 but I want my phone to be able to connect to AT&T's LTE network.)
    Asus, Motorola and LG all stick pretty close to stock with their Android based phones and tablets. It doesn't have to be pure stock to have the general feeling of it.
    people are not complaining about lack of features. Amount of features is not the only determining factor of a quality handset. People are complaining about the build quality and plenty of redundant features with google services such as s voice.
    Stock Android doesn't have anything that directly competes with S Voice. S Voice came out to compete with Siri and while Google has some voice integration, it doesn't do near as much as S Voice (and now S Voice Drive).
    03-14-2013 07:32 PM
    Asus, Motorola and LG all stick pretty close to stock with their Android based phones and tablets. It doesn't have to be pure stock to have the general feeling of it.
    Maybe it matters to you. It didn't matter to the more than 100 million users that have bought Samsung Galaxy phones.

If you want an (almost) stock Android interface, I wouldn't suggest looking into a Samsung handset anytime soon.
    03-14-2013 07:34 PM
    Why do they have to come out with a new design every model? I think the design of the S3/S4 is perfectly fine and so do 40+ million people.
    Because the S3 design is OLD. Why the hell would I pay good money for a 2012 design? The materials sucked on the S3 too.
    They aren't going to sell as many S4's.
    03-14-2013 07:35 PM
    Stock Android doesn't have anything that directly competes with S Voice. S Voice came out to compete with Siri and while Google has some voice integration, it doesn't do near as much as S Voice (and now S Voice Drive).
    can you please tell me exactly what svoice does that google voice and google now doesn't?
    03-14-2013 07:36 PM
    Maybe it matters to you. It didn't matter to the more than 100 million users that have bought Samsung Galaxy phones.
    Those are shipment numbers. More than half of the Galaxy phones shipped stay on shelves.
    03-14-2013 07:36 PM
    Agree with you. What exactly were people expecting? For it to turn into a spaceship and fly them to Mars?
    03-14-2013 07:37 PM

If you want an (almost) stock Android interface, I wouldn't suggest looking into a Samsung handset anytime soon.
    Exactly, hence:

Ry likes this.
    03-14-2013 07:38 PM
    can you please tell me exactly what svoice does that google voice and google now doesn't?
    Opens apps, sets timers, plays music, updates twitter, sets an alarm, turns on Wi-Fi, records voice, adds new task, adds a memo, searches for a contact, and many others.. all by tapping the home button twice and speaking.

You either must not have this feature or you don't know how to use it.
    03-14-2013 07:40 PM
    Those are shipment numbers. More than half of the Galaxy phones shipped stay on shelves.
    Do you have any proof of this? A link to a reliable source maybe?
    Ry and Christopher Salse like this.
    Agree with you. What exactly were people expecting? For it to turn into a spaceship and fly them to Mars?
    Good just ignore the CONTENT of the negative views of the s4. NO ONE said anything about lack of features. They packed a crap ton of features into the phone most of them gimmicks. People are complaining about build quality, ui design and redundant features.
244 12345 ...