03-21-2013 07:28 PM
244 ... 78910
tools
    Actually, I don't care that much about flash, although I do need it for a couple of language - learning sites I frequent. And I agree that ugly is in the eye of the beholder. That was part of my point. Sometimes it's hard to digest statements like "the S IV is a failure because it has a home button" or "because it doesn't have a home button."

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.
    I've not said it was a failure though. I repeatedly stated that in my opinion it's the best device out there for most people; just not for me. The home buttons is not the only reason for that; I agree that'd be silly. But the combination of the home button, the UI of TouchWiz and other decisions they made with this and other recent devices make it abundantly clear that Samsung is marketing to 99% of the consumers, and not to me. If they're specifically not marketing this to people who want a cleaner, more simple and more functional design and don't need things dummied down for them, there is nothing wrong with those people passing on any specific device.

If you read what we're actually saying, it's that our personal decisions are impacted by the design decisions that Samsung makes. We're not saying that YOU can't like it, but you and others like you seem to be getting defensive and saying it's unreasonable for us to choose otherwise. (I'm using you generically, not to you as an individual.) It's hard to digest someone twisting your words to represent an opinion that's essentially the opposite of what was actually stated; especially when you've gone out of your way to provide context to your opinions in an attempt to mitigate misunderstanding.

There are trade-offs to be made in every purchase decision, but I tend to spend several months with a device and I want to do that with something that I want, not something I feel like I'm compromising for. Again, I'd recommend this to most people shopping for a phone in April. If they're shopping in May, I'd tell them to wait for June, because there will be something better. That's how this game works.
    FitChicago likes this.
    03-15-2013 04:19 AM
    Exactly the iPhone has no shortcomings for a modern day smartphone, it has Bluetooth 4.0, LTE, nice crisp display, and subjectively one if the most sexiest looking exterior.
    10 Shortcomings of the iPhone:

1. Doesn't have Jelly Bean, will never have Key Lime Pie.
    2. Doesn't have Google Now.
    3. Doesn't have gesture based typing.
    4. In my opinion the screen is far too small.
    5. Only comes in one shape/size.
    6. Lack of genrational evolution
    7. Made by Apple.
    8. Has a physical button on the front.
    9. Image associated with ignorant hipsters (might not be accurate, but the stereotype is there).
    10. Despite better software/hardware integration than pre-ICS Android devices, low hardware specs.

This can be done by anyone on anything that they don't personally want and every single item is a subjective decision by the purchaser. The iPhone obviously sells like crazy and has a lot of people who love it. They clearly have different values that I do and neither "side" is wrong.
    03-15-2013 04:28 AM
    10 Shortcomings of the iPhone:

1. Doesn't have Jelly Bean, will never have Key Lime Pie.
    2. Doesn't have Google Now.
    3. Doesn't have gesture based typing.
    4. In my opinion the screen is far too small.
    5. Only comes in one shape/size.
    6. Lack of genrational evolution
    7. Made by Apple.
    8. Has a physical button on the front.
    9. Image associated with ignorant hipsters (might not be accurate, but the stereotype is there).
    10. Despite better software/hardware integration than pre-ICS Android devices, low hardware specs.

This can be done by anyone on anything that they don't personally want and every single item is a subjective decision by the purchaser. The iPhone obviously sells like crazy and has a lot of people who love it. They clearly have different values that I do and neither "side" is wrong.
    2.it will soon
    7.Huh?
    9.not really valid
    10. No true at all just because its a dual core doesn't mean the processor is as bad as last years dual core CPU's there have been massive refinements and this chip is custom designed by Apple and falls only a bit short then the S3.
    But I understand your point people can nitpick as much as they want and that's completly subjective
    Aquila likes this.
    03-15-2013 04:35 AM
    2.it will soon
    7.Huh?
    9.not really valid
    10. No true at all just because its a dual core doesn't mean the processor is as bad as last years dual core CPU's there have been massive refinements and this chip is custom designed by Apple and falls only a bit short then the S3.
    But I understand your point people can nitpick as much as they want and that's completly subjective
    Yeah those aren't even my thoughts, that's just a list of things I see a lot. The point isn't really even if something is factually accurate, it's the perception that matters. Educating most consumers blows over their head because they don't want to nerd out, they want to buy what they think is the best based on image.
    03-15-2013 04:46 AM
    Yeah those aren't even my thoughts, that's just a list of things I see a lot. The point isn't really even if something is factually accurate, it's the perception that matters. Educating most consumers blows over their head because they don't want to nerd out, they want to buy what they think is the best based on image.
    Again, so true. My number one concern for any new smartphone is reliability. Reliability of the OS and reliability of the hardware. Good battery life runs only a close second to that. Portability is also important to me too. These were the reasons I got rid of the SGS3 I bought on day one. When a stock app alarm clock fails to wake you up a couple of times when out working on location, you begin to lose faith in the software. When the battery literally lasts half a day even though carrier said 'working as intended' when I tried to complain, then the hardware is at fault. Reliability issues made me get rid of the SGS3 and stay with my SGS2 which has been faultless. On size, something like the Note 2 is just far too big for my needs and will not easily fit in a shirt/jacket pocket. The SGS3 I had was stretching it a bit and I gather the SGS4 is slightly larger. I think I could just about cope with that or the HTC One though.

I don't care about the brand, I just need a phone, with access for multiple email addresses, a messaging system, internet, wifi and a decent screen to read documents, things like that. Screen quality is important to me too as I do a lot of reading on my phone for work. So a screen that will not strain my eyes is paramount. The screen on my S3 was fine, even if it was Pentile (I couldn't really care one way, it was bright and crisp and that's all I wanted). The screen on my personal iP5 is lovely and the one on my work SGS2 is still pretty damn good too. I do it ***-about-face and use the SGS2 for work which is the phone that I do most of my reading on, so I think an upgrade to one with a better screen will be the way forward. It's either the HTC One or the SGS4 and I will decide which over the coming weeks.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-15-2013 05:06 AM
    Yeah so many people have berated my for moving from the iPhone to Android even after I sow them why I feel android is better
    Aquila likes this.
    03-15-2013 05:46 AM
    Here's a question for everyone:

As someone who loves the bells & whistles of Touchwiz for a few weeks before jumping to an AOSP-based ROM and Touchwiz becomes Touchwhat? because I rarely go back to it; I'll likely buy the S4 but have to ask: Am I a silly goose?
    Aquila likes this.
    03-15-2013 05:59 AM

As someone who loves the bells & whistles of Touchwiz for a few weeks before jumping to an AOSP-based ROM and Touchwiz becomes Touchwhat? because I rarely go back to it; I'll likely buy the S4 but have to ask: Am I a silly goose?
    If it were me I'd wait until June.
    03-15-2013 06:00 AM
    If it were me I'd wait until June.
    You suggesting the alleged Motorola X Phone with the Android 5.0 / Key Lime Pie that will supposedly be revealed at Google IO?
    Aquila likes this.
    03-15-2013 06:05 AM
    You suggesting the alleged Motorola X Phone with the Android 5.0 / Key Lime Pie that will supposedly be revealed at Google IO?
    I'm saying that there are a lot of rumors about amazing sounding devices, just like there were for the S4. The S4 is awesome, but every year there are 4 quarters and there is a "best ever" released in at least 3 of them. The X might not beat they hype, but at least then it's known. It might not even release, but that's more information. IO will tell us a lot about the next Nexus, even though we won't see it until Q3.

I know it's silly to always wait for the next best thing, so for me it's a matter of timing. If you are considering an upgrade in April 2013, HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 are obviously the best choices, and in my opinion, the S4 has a significant edge. If you're considering a Q2 or Q3 upgrade, waiting to see what the competition brings seems wise. Especially since other than the Nexus 7, no single device has ever lasted a full year as king of it's space in mobile computing.

Flagships are beaten within 2-4 months at best with something that has better specs, a better design, this or that feature, etc. The Galaxy Nexus reigned for 6 months and that was a record, before being usurped by the S3. To me there are things about the S4 that turn me off and justify waiting. Millions of other people are going to by the S4 as soon as they can and it'll be a great device for them.

This is definitely Samsung's A-Game and it's a device they've worked on since 2011. They are slower to adapt hardware advancements but, in my opinion, they're leading in features currently. If you're buying for the hardware alone and Touchwiz features don't matter, then clearly you just want what is going to run AOSP with as little bug/lag/fail as possible; preferably in a device that you're happy to look at and hold.

9/10 people looking for phones this quarter or early next, I'd recommend 5 of them get the S4, 3 get the HTC One, 1 get the iPhone 5.
    FitChicago likes this.
    03-15-2013 06:15 AM
    I just had a flash to, "You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force. You believe it's this....boy?"

Calm it down Mace!
    xlDeMoNiClx and FitChicago like this.
    03-15-2013 06:29 AM

If you are going to have AOSP on your device you might as well get a HTC One. The One has better hardware quality and screen. This is assuming ofcourse that the S4 and One will have seamless AOSP rom support which now a days is not automatic on non Nexus devices.
    Aquila and FitChicago like this.
    03-15-2013 06:46 AM
    Just like the iPhone 5
    Oh there was a ton of argument for that. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    03-15-2013 07:26 AM
    In 10 minutes I will either become a future S4 owner or a future One owner.

Don't fail me, Samsung.
    It appears to me that One has won.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-15-2013 08:15 AM
    For you perhaps. :P

Johnly likes this.
    03-15-2013 08:19 AM
    We shall definitely see. The jury is still out boss.
    03-15-2013 08:32 AM
    We shall definitely see. The jury is still out boss.
    Not when I'm litigating.
    03-15-2013 10:22 AM
    Not when I'm litigating.
    Lol Good one. :rolleyes:

Johnly likes this.
    03-15-2013 10:27 AM
    Lol Good one. :rolleyes:

lol it was supposed to be sarcasm.

Well, a bit of sarcasm.
    Johnly likes this.
    03-15-2013 10:32 AM
    lol it was supposed to be sarcasm.

Well, a bit of sarcasm.
    Only a bit?
    03-15-2013 11:10 AM

Nexus.
    FitChicago and Aquila like this.
    03-15-2013 11:21 AM
    Nexus.
    I think that is definitely going to be a consideration. The albatross of being a Sprint customer tends to make the Galaxy line a smart choice for a number of reasons and Motorola allegedly manufacturing the next nexus might be an issue because Sprint doesn't seem to know Motorola...
    03-15-2013 12:22 PM
    Oh there was a ton of argument for that. Lol

People call the iPhone 5 a small upgrade,look at the S4
    03-15-2013 01:31 PM
    People call the iPhone 5 a small upgrade,look at the S4
    Seriously? The iPhone 5 added LTE (finally), a small (by today's standards) 4" screen, and a processor that finally caught up to other low-end smartphones.

The GS4 has a bigger screen, higher resolution screen, bigger battery, better camera, faster processor, more RAM and memory (in some countries), and a hell of a lot more features.

Apple better step it up if they want to keep selling huge amounts of phones. iOS is a stale product and anybody that knows anything about smartphones should agree with that.
    So Cold and Aquila like this.
    03-18-2013 07:54 PM
    Seriously? The iPhone 5 added LTE (finally), a small (by today's standards) 4" screen, and a processor that finally caught up to other low-end smartphones.

The GS4 has a bigger screen, higher resolution screen, bigger battery, better camera, faster processor, more RAM and memory (in some countries), and a hell of a lot more features.

Apple better step it up if they want to keep selling huge amounts of phones. iOS is a stale product and anybody that knows anything about smartphones should agree with that.
    The iPhone added 1GB of RAM, Low end? Are you serious? It destroyed the s3 processed and nearly beat the international s3, the iPhone 5 also had a bigger screen, thinner, lighter, better camera,and it didn't add useless gimmicky **** ios is stale in your opinion not in other people's opinion.
    Ios is still really smooth even with a dual core CPU, because it is OPTIMIZED stop being hung on specs. And stop pushing your opinion as truth.
    03-18-2013 08:52 PM
244 ... 78910