Samsung UNPACKED Livestream Youtube

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Models - iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 - Captivate (Galaxy S), Galaxy S II (or Skyrocket), Galaxy S3
Pricing - $1.00, $100, $200 (in general)
Options - depends on model

Phones costs a lot less than a vehicle but people definitely buy them based on how they want to appear to their peers.

Aye, but for the sake of comparison why would I hold all Sammy devices or Apple devices that came out spread over several years up as an argument that there are many options? If I compare cars and phones I would compare a new model BMW M5 to a SGS4, not to one that came out a year or longer ago or an entirely different car like a 325i. The customer buying a several year old Beamer or a several year old Captivate, is probably not quite in the same category as the one choosing the latest and greatest based on brand. In fact, I'd almost argue the opposite, in that several year old beamers are more likely to be bought by those blinded by the brand, whereas it would be opposite on the phone spectrum, no?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't going to watch the presentation, but now I want to based on how bad everyone thinks it was.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Aye, but for the sake of comparison why would I hold all Sammy devices or Apple devices that came out spread over several years up as an argument that there are many options? If I compare cars and phones I would compare a new model BMW M5 to a SGS4, not to one that came out a year or longer ago or an entirely different car like a 325i. The customer buying a several year old Beamer or a several year old Captivate, is probably not quite in the same category as the one choosing the latest and greatest based on brand. In fact, I'd almost argue the opposite, in that several year old beamers are more likely to be bought by those blinded by the brand, whereas it would be opposite on the phone spectrum, no?

I understand what you are saying, but Apple is really the only manufacturer that only releases one device a year. Samsung has released the Note II, GSIII, Rugby Pro, and the Express all within the past six months. HTC has the One X+, One VX, and the One. LG has the Optimus G and the Optimus G Pro.

This goes back to what I think is a problem with Apple's business model - I would think most consumers would like to have a choice to buy a current model at a reasonable price. I know this isn't the case though because I see how many people come in every day to buy an iPhone 4.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't going to watch the presentation, but now I want to based on how bad everyone thinks it was.
The presentation itself was a bit dumb.
The phone looks like a worthy successor to the S3. Same family resemblance in the case style but all new otherwise.

Just ignore the haters that came here to argue.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought JK Shin's presentation was absolutely brilliant! Shin showcased Samsung's customer-first innovation strategy from the perspective of innovations the customer has asked for and innovations Samsung has developed by examining the global marketplace and consumer and implementing tools to benefit every aspect of a customer's life. Shin's repeated use of the word imagine was a powerful way to communicate how Samsung takes the consumer's imagination and through innovation makes technology from science fiction movies become a reality for the everyday consumer. I am quite impressed; while Apple's presentations tend to spoon-feed the US market, Shin's presentation at Unpacked demonstrated Samsung's commitment to the complete global marketplace.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought JK Shin's presentation was absolutely brilliant! Shin showcased Samsung's customer-first innovation strategy from the perspective of innovations the customer has asked for and innovations Samsung has developed by examining the global marketplace and consumer and implementing tools to benefit every aspect of a customer's life. Shin's repeated use of the word imagine was a powerful way to communicate how Samsung takes the consumer's imagination and through innovation makes technology from science fiction movies become a reality for the everyday consumer. I am quite impressed; while Apple's presentations tend to spoon-feed the US market, Shin's presentation at Unpacked demonstrated Samsung's commitment to the complete global marketplace.

I won't disagree with that, he gave a nice speech, but it was so short it seemed like an intro to the rest of it.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I won't disagree with that, he gave a nice speech, but it was so short it seemed like an intro to the rest of it.

Aye, the transition seemed a bit clunky at best. But kudos to the guy for giving a solid speech in a language that doesn't exactly seem to come natural to him. Think they could have used him a little better, perhaps in conjunction with "Mr. Elaboration" (can't remember his name), rather than the whole Broadway spiel. I would have liked to see a bit more in-depth discussion of the hardware nitty gritty. A bit more of a serious introduction to the screen, battery, air touch and some of the other slightly more technical "features" could have probably been done while still maintaining some of the "fruitier" elements to the show Sammy seemed to be going for.

And Goelz; points well taken. Wasn't quite sure the message came across clearly. Long day! ;-)

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

The integration between Shin's "imagine if", "what if", "if you" introductory statements and the simple branding of "Samsung Knox" or "S Health" projected on the screen was seamless and simple; in my opinion it laid the foundation to build the connection and, more importantly, be the spark for conversational buzz about the device--- Shin gave "in the know" folks like us (as well as media folks) a number of "OMG you're not going to believe what the new Samsung Galaxy can do" to share with others. Everything in his presentation was brilliantly tied together by imagination, innovation and how it will benefit the consumer.

On another note, did anyone else notice that when mentioning Samsung Knox that Shin highlighted that the S4 makes the need for separate work and personal devices obsolete? I think that Samsung is aggressively going after those corporations who feel that Blackberry is the only secure option for their employees.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
On another note, did anyone else notice that when mentioning Samsung Knox that Shin highlighted that the S4 makes the need for separate work and personal devices obsolete? I think that Samsung is aggressively going after those corporations who feel that Blackberry is the only secure option for their employees.

I do sincerely hope that Google and Sammy have been working closely together on this. Can't imagine Mountain View wanting them to give the perception that it's all Samsung and not the Android OS, that allows for this to be possible. Wouldn't be surprised to see Key Lime Pie to have its own implementation of something "Knox-like". (brilliant name btw)

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes. I wonder if they'll go after that big US .gov contract BB had.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Aye, the transition seemed a bit clunky at best. But kudos to the guy for giving a solid speech in a language that doesn't exactly seem to come natural to him.

I am sure that many people in the Twitterverse (you know the type who believe that the rest of the world should adapt to everything American) probably poked fun at Shin's delivery. I'd challenge anyone who felt that way to travel to South Korea and make a presentation about anything speaking only Korean...

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Presentation was lame, corny and cheesy. Too broadway. Looks like it was marketed to a bunch of housewives. The girl in the black/white dress was beautiful, though.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Oh yes. I wonder if they'll go after that big US .gov contract BB had.

That would be a huge coup d'etat if Samsung pulled that off.

I think that Samsung's timing couldn't be more perfect to aggressively pitch both corporations and government agencies about the S4. I am curious to learn what Samsung will present to those audiences to both over-satisfy their unique security concerns and differentiate their offering from both Apple and Blackberry in order to convince corporations and government agencies that the S4 is far and away the best choice to meet and exceed their needs.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I do sincerely hope that Google and Sammy have been working closely together on this. Can't imagine Mountain View wanting them to give the perception that it's all Samsung and not the Android OS, that allows for this to be possible. Wouldn't be surprised to see Key Lime Pie to have its own implementation of something "Knox-like". (brilliant name btw)

There were a couple articles this week which raised the same point regarding the level of development/collaboration between Google & Samsung (the articles, while long, provided no answer to that question LOL).

I noticed that in all of the articles about the S4, Google gets a strong mention and that JB technology as the backbone is mentioned. Unfortunately, the general public doesn't really understand much of that and likely believes its all (insert manufacturer's name here) technology but has a cool Google search bar built in... lol

Also, I wonder if Fort Knox owns the copyright to usage of Knox as a branding tool; does Samsung have to pay a royalty for using Knox in the name?

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I agree - the way he kept saying that Samsung wanted to make our lives better and how a smartphone can make your life more simple really struck a cord with me.

I don't see why everyone is jacked with the S4. It seems like a kick-arse device. Most will put a case on it, so who gives a flying poo what it's made of? It's the most powerful smartphone to date. And it is barely bigger than the S3 and offers more features. I think it's a fantastic upgrade to the S3, which is a great smartphone. Samsung has a bright future for sure.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just read through 177 posts, too much of which was silly bickering.

I've seen the same members taking the wrong tone over and over again in the HTC/GS4 threads. Take a step back. Keep the discussion civil. Before you submit your post, I suggest you read it again and consider whether what you've written is appropriate.

Sent from my SGSIII

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree - the way he kept saying that Samsung wanted to make our lives better and how a smartphone can make your life more simple really struck a cord with me.

I don't see why everyone is jacked with the S4. It seems like a kick-arse device. Most will put a case on it, so who gives a flying poo what it's made of? It's the most powerful smartphone to date. And it is barely bigger than the S3 and offers more features. I think it's a fantastic upgrade to the S3, which is a great smartphone. Samsung has a bright future for sure.

Agree with most of this. They're coming at their design from the right reference point and are in a great position to better service the majority of their customers with this device because of it. The only two issues I have with the S4 are the home button and that Touchwiz still looks the same as the 2011 version. Feature wise, spec's wise, I believe this is the best option out there for most consumers, but I personally won't buy it because it's not what I want from a device. I personally don't care about plastic, etc. but the home button and old UI are both things that scream at me as a failure to evolve to minimum standards set by the Nexus lines. As an individual I'll wait to see the X Phone and Nexus 5, but I'd have no problem recommending this to coworkers, friends or family. Same idea with the HTC One.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Agree with most of this. They're coming at their design from the right reference point and are in a great position to better service the majority of their customers with this device because of it. The only two issues I have with the S4 are the home button and that Touchwiz still looks the same as the 2011 version. Feature wise, spec's wise, I believe this is the best option out there for most consumers, but I personally won't buy it because it's not what I want from a device.

You bring up some interesting points. I am interested to see how business-specific TV like CNBC/Fox Business/Bloomberg cover the S4 announcement/technology as well as mainstream TV and print.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon