Samsung UNPACKED Livestream Youtube

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Agree with most of this. They're coming at their design from the right reference point and are in a great position to better service the majority of their customers with this device because of it. The only two issues I have with the S4 are the home button and that Touchwiz still looks the same as the 2011 version. Feature wise, spec's wise, I believe this is the best option out there for most consumers, but I personally won't buy it because it's not what I want from a device. I personally don't care about plastic, etc. but the home button and old UI are both things that scream at me as a failure to evolve to minimum standards set by the Nexus lines. As an individual I'll wait to see the X Phone and Nexus 5, but I'd have no problem recommending this to coworkers, friends or family. Same idea with the HTC One.

I am not a fan of home buttons either. At least the s4 looks semetrical. But the home button is a shortcoming imo.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I am not a fan of home buttons either. At least the s4 looks semetrical. But the home button is a shortcoming imo.

I agree; but we're writing as experienced users of Android whereas the mouth-breathers in the general public like having a button to push and are still of the mindset that if the screen has issues, the button will magically save them and make it all better...

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree; but we're writing as experienced users of Android whereas the mouth-breathers in the general public like having a button to push and are still of the mindset that if the screen has issues, the button will magically save them and make it all better...

This makes me think that you have never used a current Samsung device. I personally like how Samsung has their current button setup laid out.

- Double tap home button to activate S Voice
- Hold home button and tap screen to bring up Google Now
- Hold menu button to activate Google search (tap screen for voice search)

Seems simple enough and those are just the basics. What problems do you have with a physical home button?

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of those mouth breathers that loves the home button. Because of the kind of case I use, it's far easier to turn the phone on by using the home button than by the power button. Also, I like to long-press the home button to see screens of each of my recent apps so I can jump back and forth among them. And when an app hangs but doesn't close, I can use that same long - press to get it to stop.

I was relieved to see that the S IV will have a Home button.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I currently use the S2.

I am not saying that I have an issue with the physical buttons (although a key point to raise is that Google showed their desire to move towards virtual on-screen buttons with the Galaxy Nexus), my comments were focused on the general public perception.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those mouth breathers that loves the home button. Because of the kind of case I use, it's far easier to turn the phone on by using the home button than by the power button. Also, I like to long-press the home button to see screens of each of my recent apps so I can jump back and forth among them. And when an app hangs but doesn't close, I can use that same long - press to get it to stop.

I was relieved to see that the S IV will have a Home button.

Android comes with on screen buttons that include a back button, home button and recent apps button. They actually have to modify it to add support for physical and capacitive buttons. Samsung is actually making the design and functionality more complicated by adhering to this concept.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ah, but the icons for those soft buttons are ugly. When I'm designing a theme /skin, I don't want ugly icons on my screen. Plus, the soft buttons visually conflict with my docks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ah, but the icons for those soft buttons are ugly. When I'm designing a theme /skin, I don't want ugly icons on my screen. Plus, the soft buttons visually conflict with my docks.

Greatest thing about Android is customization :) Many launchers include functionality to hide them by default, making them visible with a gesture or swiping motion. My phone only has buttons when I want it to. Many ROMs allow you to modify what buttons are present, add or change the order as it suits you, change icons used, their sizes and colors.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I just read through 177 posts, too much of which was silly bickering.

I've seen the same members taking the wrong tone over and over again in the HTC/GS4 threads. Take a step back. Keep the discussion civil. Before you submit your post, I suggest you read it again and consider whether what you've written is appropriate.

Sent from my SGSIII

Ahhhh, tomorrow I will probably have many infractions that were caused by having my mind clouded, **** me!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The buttons thing isn't something 99% of consumers should worry about. It impacts only my personal decision, not whether or not I think the device is good. I think this is a great device and I'd have no problem recommending it; I just won't buy it myself. Samsung won't care that I don't and they won't care why.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and I don't care whether Google wants hard buttons or not. Their decisions for Android are based on their business needs, not their users' wishes. I also want Flash and apps-to-SD back, but those are lost causes. (Actually I still use Flash without problems.)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Good point on it being too early to state with certainty; this is of course assuming that all of the advertised features of the One and S4 work as advertised. There is also a separate issue, being that many users will not use a fraction of the functionality capabilities of any device they choose to purchase; in which case preference of aesthetics would be the driving factor in choice, assuming equal coverage and availability. I'm also kind of biased a bit, in that I view phones through the lens of availability in my area, and the HTC One, while being great, is not available on a provider with LTE like speeds in my area, leading me to discount it's feasibility in my personal decision making.

Have to eat some of these words.. HTC One is coming to Verizon. Lens shattered; paradigm requires restructure.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and I don't care whether Google wants hard buttons or not. Their decisions for Android are based on their business needs, not their users' wishes. I also want Flash and apps-to-SD back, but those are lost causes. (Actually I still use Flash without problems.)

Adobe is who you should be pointing the finger at when it comes to Flash. That's not Google's fault.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Out of curiosity why do you even want flash?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Those on screen are anything but ugly, this is all a matter of opinion and I believe that on screen buttons are the best.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a healthy amount of respect for what Apple meant/means to the tech world, even though I'd never buy one of their devices for personal reasons. When I say Isheep, I don't include most of the populace posting on websites such as these. I'd like to think the average user on mobilenations, etc. is on average slightly more knowledgable. In other words; when I say Isheep I mean the kind of Apple users that will buy anything because it has that nifty logo on it, typically the non-tech inclined, which is why I pooled them together. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

Thanks for the clarification! but remember not all people continuously buy Apple products fo the logo!

Good points, both of you.

I have an iPhone 5 mainly because it filled my needs perfectly at the time I bought it. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is old now and due for replacement. I always like to try new stuff and apart from an iPad, I am not stuck in the Apple ecosystem, preferring multiple PCs with a linux server over Macs. I did have a SGS3 but as it was bought on day one, it was plagued (and I do mean plagued) with problems which soured me towards the device somewhat. When I tried to take it back I was told it was 'working as intended' and turned away. Very poor service from my carrier and has ensured that I will not be using them again once my contract expires in a few months.

My next phone must cater to my needs and I had hoped that the leaked pics of the Chinese S4 model with dual sim would have me utterly sold on that device, hook, line and sinker. 'twas not to be though although I have read on one site only that a dual sim variant is coming to certain markets within the year. Not ideal for me as I will need to replace my ailing SGS2 before then.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I don't care that much about flash, although I do need it for a couple of language - learning sites I frequent. And I agree that ugly is in the eye of the beholder. That was part of my point. Sometimes it's hard to digest statements like "the S IV is a failure because it has a home button" or "because it doesn't have a home button."

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Good points, both of you.

I have an iPhone 5 mainly because it filled my needs perfectly at the time I bought it. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is old now and due for replacement. I always like to try new stuff and apart from an iPad, I am not stuck in the Apple ecosystem, preferring multiple PCs with a linux server over Macs. I did have a SGS3 but as it was bought on day one, it was plagued (and I do mean plagued) with problems which soured me towards the device somewhat. When I tried to take it back I was told it was 'working as intended' and turned away. Very poor service from my carrier and has ensured that I will not be using them again once my contract expires in a few months.

My next phone must cater to my needs and I had hoped that the leaked pics of the Chinese S4 model with dual sim would have me utterly sold on that device, hook, line and sinker. 'twas not to be though although I have read on one site only that a dual sim variant is coming to certain markets within the year. Not ideal for me as I will need to replace my ailing SGS2 before then.
Exactly the iPhone has no shortcomings for a modern day smartphone, it has Bluetooth 4.0, LTE, nice crisp display, and subjectively one if the most sexiest looking exterior.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon