S4 or Note2?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I transitioned to the GS3 from years of different BB models from 8310 to 9900 which is a work phone.

The Note 2 has a screen size that makes it a phablet and has a better battery.

Phablet! Ugh! Every time someone uses that word a kitten dies! THINK OF THE KITTENS!

Asadian

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
You must have superhuman vision in order to see pixels on a 441 PPI screen. Your saying its grainy? Have you even used the device, your note 2 has something like 267ppi while the s4 has 441ppi just so you know. The s4 also has a greater sub pixel count then the note2. I don't understand why people bash a device when they haven't used it, don't you have something better to do.

Not saying the S4 will be blurry. I'm sure it will have worse text and off color whites compared to the Note 2. I see peopel parroting this PPI mantra constantly and it gets frustrationg especially when those squeeling about it dont take into account the Sub pixel Matrix that that makes up all those pixels.

The Note 2 uses a unique Sub Pixel RGB arrangement. Meaning that each pixel contains ALL 3 (Red-Blue-Green) sub pixels per pixel. That's why even though the S3 has a "techinical" higher PPI density than the Note 2 the note 2 actually has the sharper, more accurate display in terms of text and color accuracy due to it having more sub pixels making up each pixel

If the GS4 does indeed use the standard Pentile arrangement it could very well likely have an inferior display on some fronts. As Basically they are just dumping a bunch of green pixels on the screen. PPI is only 1 variable of a vast array of technology to consider when choosing a display. It's also EXTREMELY misleading when comparing AMOLED vs LCD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Although I'm very happy with my S3, when my upgrade eligibility rolls around (3/14) I'll be using it for whatever version of the Note is current. I demoed the Note 2 in my local Sprint store and I absolutely love it. I'm sure the next version will incorporate all the latest useful tech of the S4, and more. I have no problem with the larger size and the S Pen is amazing, even with current tech. So, it's the Note for me.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's the Note 2 or the S4.

I'm not sure I need (or would even use) the S pen -- I don't have any drawing requirements in my work or personal life -- but I like the idea of a big screen/phone to, among other things, ease into touchscreen only typing.

I don't use the S pen much. I love the Note 2 mainly for its size and gorgeous screen. That screen size also makes for a bigger keyboard, with a dedicated row of numbers above the QWERTY keys. I come from a physical keyboard too (Palm Pre) and always thought a physical keyboard was a necessity. I've completely switched positions on that. The Samsung keyboard on the Note 2 is great, and being able to swipe words and with predictive text is fantastic. The screen size is terrific for browsing the web, and for reading pdf documents - turn to landscape mode and you can actually read a pdf letter without any horizontal scrolling.

I've handled an S3, but I don't think I could go back now to a screen smaller than the 5.5" Note 2. As for a bigger screen in the future, I don't know. Skis have gotten wider and wider over recent years, and most avid skiers love them, but each year people will say, "OK, this is great, but I can't possibly imagine anything wider." Then they try the wider ones next year and love those. I won't rule out a bigger phone someday, but for now the Note 2 is perfect. I put a FlyGrip on the back, and that really helps with one-handed use.

Keith Hathorn

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
For me it will be the Note2 or wait for an announcement (That is sure to come) for the next Note. I currently have a S3 and love it, but Ive dabbled in the Note2 and there is no comparison depending on what you want to do. I have big hands and the N2 nestles very nicely in them, not that the S3 is small its just not the N2. Also the Pen with the N2 opens up a whole new way to use your Phablet/Phone. So Note is my weapon of choice at the moment even with the S4 announcement.

crackhead007

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of moving on to the S4 I of course want to actually see it and use it before making judgements. Everyone has strong opinions but no one had actually seen or used the phone in person.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

I was actually at the release event so I got to use the device. I won a Note 2. I got it the week before the release. I'm happy with my choice. The S4 screen is really nice and noticeably a little sharper that the Note 2. It's a slick phone. I will be happy when the S-translate software comes out. That was really slick. I am worried about the battery life. With all the sensors built into that thing. The 2600 mA battery might struggle to get more than 4 hours. As far as a smaller screen goes. we are really talking about .5" that is not a very big difference. I do actually like the form factor of my Note 2. I will probably stick with the Note 2 personally .

As far as the ONE from HTC goes. It has the same heat issues my HTC One S on T-Mobile has. It get extremely hot. Using the GPS can make the device too hot to hold. I know this because I sat next to a German user who had one and his phone was pretty hot at that point.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I got Note 2 two weeks ago. My thought was I'd try it out, most likely dislike it & return it to wait for the S4 or One variant (Verizon). I must say I really like this phone. Tomorrow is my last day to return the Note 2 & I can tell you that isn't going to happen. Funny thing is, after my experience with the Fascinate, Charge & Nexus, I swore to never go Samsung again. Oh well.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Now that we know what the S4 has to offer... Which would you prefer?

I'm torn...........

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Why be torn? Two different beasts. Just go with features you need. What's to compare?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Just do what I did; go to a nearby electronics store and actually hold the Note 2 and S3 and feel them yourself. Since S4 is almost the same dimensions as the S3, it's still a pretty close match. See if the Note 2 is too big or just right, some stores might also provide a stylus so you can see how that works, as well.

As for myself, I think the Note 2 is just a tad too big for my taste, and doesn't really suit me. On the other hand, the S3 was small and efficient, so I'll definitely be getting the S4 when it comes out sometime in the next two weeks.

Oh, and @MikeLip: phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, phablet, tablone, tablone, tablone, tablone, tablone.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If I had a Note II, I'd definitely stick with it.

However, if I were to get a new phone and had to choose between the two, I'd definitely go with the S4. Better internals, newer software and will supported longer.

ionbuddy

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same position as you. However, I gave my S2 to my daughter then bought an S3. Kept that for 8 months and last December, having toyed with it for a couple of months, purchased an N2. The S3 was stunning but I couldn't go back. As someone else mentioned I will get the N3 but hope that the phones overall size doesn't increase too much.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the devices are in the same class. I'm personally not even considering the SGS4 because I don't want something smaller than my current phone, the original Note. My upgrade isn't until July, so I will probably hold out till the Note 3 launches then decide between the Note 3, the Optimus G Pro, and any other phone in that size class out by the time the Note 3 launches. I'm kinda hoping HTC will launch something in the 5.5"+ size range based on the One. I don't know that I'd get it, but it would certainly be a contender!

Phablet! Ugh! Every time someone uses that word a kitten dies! THINK OF THE KITTENS!

Sorry, but these 5.5" devices need a name. They are too large to be called a smartphone and too small to be a stand alone tablet. You may not like the word PHABLET but that is what they are. A hybrid device with a hybrid name. Your crusade is doomed and annoying (I find any post that doesn't add to the threads discussion annoying, and your phablet posts certainly don't add to the topic).

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the devices are in the same class. I'm personally not even considering the SGS4 because I don't want something smaller than my current phone, the original Note. My upgrade isn't until July, so I will probably hold out till the Note 3 launches then decide between the Note 3, the Optimus G Pro, and any other phone in that size class out by the time the Note 3 launches. I'm kinda hoping HTC will launch something in the 5.5"+ size range based on the One. I don't know that I'd get it, but it would certainly be a contender!

Sorry, but these 5.5" devices need a name. They are too large to be called a smartphone and too small to be a stand alone tablet. You may not like the word PHABLET but that is what they are. A hybrid device with a hybrid name. Your crusade is doomed and annoying (I find any post that doesn't add to the threads discussion annoying, and your phablet posts certainly don't add to the topic).

Two more kittens. Sad. Did you call the iPhone4 the Jesus Phone too? That would wipe out an entire endangered species. A 5.5" screened cell phone is a cell phone. Cell phones make calls. They have some attributes of tablets, but so does a 5" phone, which some people find very large.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Two more kittens. Sad. Did you call the iPhone4 the Jesus Phone too? That would wipe out an entire endangered species. A 5.5" screened cell phone is a cell phone. Cell phones make calls. They have some attributes of tablets, but so does a 5" phone, which some people find very large.

What dies when people call the S pen a stylus?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Nothing. Stylus is a real word, not something made up by a tech blogger needing a catchword to draw clicks then parroted by every other blogger. Start your own crusade :)

snellaltal

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Keeping with my note2. Might consider a note3 if the screen isn't bigger, but for now haven't seen any thing that will make me replace it any time soon.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boots, deciding what to do. I ended up just getting the note 2. What swayed me was the giant battery. My galaxy nexus was terrible on battery life and it was my main priority with my next phone.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums