04-27-2013 11:02 PM
390 ... 23456 ...
tools
    why are the guys at xda saying it's no pentile, they saying it's diamond matrix?

whos right? any sources?
    Probably because of this:
    Display comparison between the Galaxy S IV, Galaxy S3 & XPERIA Z | SamMobile

I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it should be. The Chinese prototype was essentially the same exact device as the official S4.
    jroc likes this.
    03-15-2013 02:17 PM
    I will keep my DNA, thank you very much.

Oh and screw Samsung.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    03-15-2013 02:18 PM
    Seriously, who told you it's PenTile?

The display matrix in GS4 is totally new, and never used in past. The display type (AMOLED) is also totally new. It's a new Green PHOLED emitter used, and they have achieved the highest display NITs in any AMOLED so far.
    03-15-2013 02:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/XGPDe6s.png

The display matrix in GS4 is totally new, and never used in past. The display type (AMOLED) is also totally new. It's a new Green PHOLED emitter used, and they have achieved the highest display NITs in any AMOLED so far.
    Thank you! Honestly, the S4 seems to be more and more appealing with each new bit of information. The Snapdragon processor is fine for me (I'm very glad it's not the S4 pro) and now the screen is definitely going to look amazing.
    03-15-2013 03:10 PM
    Meh. The screen on the S3 looks great to me. S4 should be tits too!

-Suntan
    crester and torch29 like this.
    03-15-2013 03:24 PM
    So the truth comes out. The display is far from horrible. Pfft.
    crester likes this.
    03-15-2013 03:30 PM
    For me the "not as sharp" AMOLED matrix vs LCD matrix is not as important (441ppi will make it barely if ever noticable anyway) as whether the display samsung used, uses the technology that will reduce the batery consumption from display by 25%.
    03-15-2013 03:34 PM
    Any display choice that uses non-uniform sub pixels will result in a compromise in display clarity.
    03-15-2013 03:50 PM
    Thank you! Honestly, the S4 seems to be more and more appealing with each new bit of information. The Snapdragon processor is fine for me (I'm very glad it's not the S4 pro) and now the screen is definitely going to look amazing.
    Never before we have seen such 'clean' white in AMOLED. Just have a look at these:

Does this look bad:

Viewing angles are amazing:

crester, torch29 and Lfsnz67 like this.
    03-15-2013 04:30 PM
    I agree. Display and camera. I'd add in battery life.
    03-15-2013 04:34 PM

http://i.imgur.com/XGPDe6s.png

Not sure you understand what pentile and RGB stripe are. Those sub pixels sure look like they aren't uniform in size or layout. That makes it less than ideal to put it lightly.

I would also links to your source for the other claims you make.

Mostly because AMOLED is FAR from a new display technology. It's been around for a VERY long time (in terms of technology, many many years).

I haven't seen anybody here (ok, maybe a few "fanboys") say that the S4 display will be terrible or absolute garbage. It won't be. It's just not going to be as good as SLCD3.

In a reply further down you mention a "clean" white. You also had to qualify that with "in AMOLED" which to me means that it's still not a "true" white like what's achieved with the SLCD3 or LCD in general. Assuming all screens are calibrated for the same color temperature (which I'm sure they won't be) the LCD will still have a "truer" white than AMOLED. Until they introduce a white subpixel into the matrix this will always be the case.
    03-15-2013 04:40 PM
    Not sure you understand what pentile and RGB stripe are. Those sub pixels sure look like they aren't uniform in size or layout. That makes it less than ideal to put it lightly.

Mostly because AMOLED is FAR from a new display technology. It's been around for a VERY long time (in terms of technology, many many years).

I haven't seen anybody here (ok, maybe a few "fanboys") say that the S4 display will be terrible or absolute garbage. It won't be. It's just not going to be as good as SLCD3.

In a reply further down you mention a "clean" white. You also had to qualify that with "in AMOLED" which to me means that it's still not a "true" white like what's achieved with the SLCD3 or LCD in general. Assuming all screens are calibrated for the same color temperature (which I'm sure they won't be) the LCD will still have a "truer" white than AMOLED. Until they introduce a white subpixel into the matrix this will always be the case.
    And LCDs are always going to have lackluster blacks. Both have their down sides. At least it's not IPS.

- - - Updated - - -

And LCDs are always going to have lackluster blacks. Both have their down sides. At least it's not IPS.
    03-15-2013 04:50 PM
    So I take it you guys spend alot of time with your eyeballs 10mm away from the screen?
    LegalAmerican, crester and jroc like this.
    03-15-2013 05:13 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to figure out why you think IPS is bad, when it's a pretty great form of LCD technology.

And yes, LCD isn't as good at blacks, but it's so much better at everything else that it's contrast ratio is higher. Brightness is more important than black level as long as the black level is "good enough" in the LCD. In the SLCD2 it was really good (best display of last year).
    03-15-2013 05:15 PM

- - - Updated - - -

What?

LCDs these days are objectively better, in many cases by far, than AMOLED screens.
    03-15-2013 05:16 PM
    Trying to figure out why you think IPS is bad, when it's a pretty great form of LCD technology.

And yes, LCD isn't as good at blacks, but it's so much better at everything else that it's contrast ratio is higher. Brightness is more important than black level as long as the black level is "good enough" in the LCD. In the SLCD2 it was really good (best display of last year).
    I agree that SLCD2 was the best display of last year. However, IPS has always unerwhlemed me because nothing is saturated at all. At least LCD looks interesting. And AMOLED is certainly big into saturation. Plus, we need to consider the fact that the display on the S4 is NOT PenTile (it's some sort of diamond matrix) and none of us have actually seen it. It could very well be just as good or even better (not very likely, but I can hope) than SLCD3.
    03-15-2013 05:25 PM
    That's what happens when some tries to assume something. When you say it's not PenTile, some guys automatically assume "so it's RGB, right?". Who said GS4 was RGB?

I exactly know what wrong with AMOLED or PHOLED displays. I also know the issue with blue emitters and LITI limitations. I also hold stock in Universal to keep myself informed of major issues for AMOLED displays. Obviously that's why I mentioned the 'clean' part. I don't need anyone else to explain me what I myself wrote. I know what I wrote.
    03-15-2013 05:27 PM
    I agree that SLCD2 was the best display of last year. However, IPS has always unerwhlemed me because nothing is saturated at all. At least LCD looks interesting. And AMOLED is certainly big into saturation. Plus, we need to consider the fact that the display on the S4 is NOT PenTile (it's some sort of diamond matrix) and none of us have actually seen it. It could very well be just as good or even better (not very likely, but I can hope) than SLCD3.
    AMOLED is over saturated. LCD is more accurate in that regard. PenTile is not just one particular type of sub pixel arrangement. It covers multiple forms of non-RGB stripe layouts. "diamond" matrix sure does sound like a great marketing term. It gets people to stop saying PenTile. Smart of Samsung (or whoever made it up).

That's what happens when some tries to assume something. When you say it's not PenTile, some guys automatically assume "so it's RGB, right?". Who said GS4 was RGB?

I exactly know what wrong with AMOLED or PHOLED displays. I also know the issue with blue emitters and LITI limitations. I also hold stock in Universal to keep myself informed of major issues for AMOLED displays. Obviously that's why I mentioned the 'clean' part. I don't need anyone else to explain me what I myself wrote. I know what I wrote.
    Still no links...
    03-15-2013 05:34 PM
    I'm just not a fan of AMOLED. The color saturation is too much and it shows in pictures.
    I look 10x darker than what I really am (light to medium brown skin African American lol) and bright colors come off as neon-ish.
    That's really my only gripe with the screen.
    03-15-2013 05:44 PM
    It is, if you look at it. Or at least I think so.
    uhhhhhhh no. It is not grainy at all.
    03-15-2013 06:41 PM

Exactly my Nexus 4 looks extremely vivid and just a pleasure to look at!
    03-15-2013 06:42 PM
    So I take it you guys spend alot of time with your eyeballs 10mm away from the screen?
    Exactly! Who looks at their phone under a microscope???? The Screen on the S3 looks great and the S4 will be even better!
    03-15-2013 06:44 PM
    AMOLED is over saturated.
    I cant disagree anymore. That said, I am typing this on a note2 in natural mode. Nothing is over saturated. It is brilliant. Just had to make it clear that there is always an exception in technology.
    I know older amoled screens suffered this, but I think the note 2 is the first amoled to actually do organic diods right. I have never seen an s4, so I can't comment on that, nor can anyone for that matter.
    03-15-2013 07:47 PM
    AMOLEDs themselves are NOT over saturated. Samsung AMOLEDs are this way by design.

AMOLEDs is not new technology. What is brand new is the use of phosphorescent Green molecules vs fluorescent Green in the GS4.

Phosphorescent materials are more efficient producing emission of light using singlet and triplet excitons, where fluorescent materials only emit light using singlet excitons. putting a cap on the efficiency of fluorescent materials.

Before Galaxy series was using just Red phosphorescent , green and blue were fluorescent.
    With the GS4 Red and Green are now phosphorescent which make them more efficient and with the introduction or the green subpixel this makes the screen brighter. This is also increasing the light that can be seen with the human eye which is making the screen seem whiter.
    03-15-2013 08:04 PM
    uhhhhhhh no. It is not grainy at all.
    I mean, I think so...but That's just my opinion.
    03-15-2013 08:19 PM
390 ... 23456 ...