04-27-2013 11:02 PM
390 ... 34567 ...
tools
    If I set my note 2 to movie mode, it pulls even more color and further de saturates it. As long as I have the option to set it to my liking and control the saturation. I kinda like the saturation of colors though. I think most amoled fans do.

The best viewing amoled experience I have had is a note 2, natural mode set to 90% brightness. The real kicker, I can go 16 to 20 hours heavy use with on screen times of 5 plus hours.

I think all these things need to be considered in the "viewing experience."

Droidxcon, if amoled gets better than whats on the note 2, which it will, then I think we have busted this thread, and the truth is the display on the s4 is going to be quite nice as stated by AC administration.
    03-15-2013 08:22 PM
    If I set my note 2 to movie mode, it pulls even more color and further de saturates it. As long as I have the option to set it to my liking and control the saturation. I kinda like the saturation of colors though. I think most amoled fans do.

The best viewing amoled experience I have had is a note 2, natural mode set to 90% brightness. The real kicker, I can go 16 to 20 hours heavy use with on screen times of 5 plus hours.

I think all these things need to me considered in the "viewing experience."

Droidxcon, if amoled gets better than whats on the note 2, which it will, then I think we have busted this thread, and the truth is the display on the s4 is going to be quite nice as stated by AC administration.
    How do you put the Note 2 in movie mode?
    03-15-2013 08:32 PM
    I thought that I heard the S4 did not have a Pentile display.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    03-15-2013 08:36 PM
    How do you put the Note 2 in movie mode?
    Settings> display>screen mode
    03-15-2013 08:36 PM
    I mean, I think so...but That's just my opinion.
    Oh ok
    03-15-2013 08:37 PM
    OLED screens will get absolutely better, i've said it before and ill say it again, OLEDs are in their infancy comparing it to LCD is like putting a seasoned player vs a rookie and despite this fact OLED is holding its own.
    Also when you compare OLED vs LCD its completely different technology, its like comparing a Bird to an Airplane (of equal size). Both can fly, both look similar but they way they work is very different.

I understand where people have a different opinion of the technologies, i think what bothers me the most is they use the Term AMOLED as the fault with the displays. they are using as a blanket statements. AMOLED's are bad. When the architecture of the device is what they are refering to. Galaxy displays are just scratching the surface of the OLED technology.
    Johnly, torch29 and Aquila like this.
    03-15-2013 08:39 PM
    AMOLED is over saturated. LCD is more accurate in that regard.
    I partially agree, although look at how most people view their TVs, usually on a standard/dynamic mode and contrast/picture set high rather than a calibrated reference setting. Most prefer a dynamic contrast even if it's not the most accurate.
    jroc likes this.
    03-15-2013 08:52 PM
    I KNEW you couldn't stay away DroidxCon! Lol

Yes people prefer colors that "pop" which is probably why Samsung does that.

I look forward to the day that we have a better display than what HTC is using right now.
    Johnly likes this.
    03-15-2013 09:00 PM
    I KNEW you couldn't stay away DroidxCon! Lol

Yes people prefer colors that "pop" which is probably why Samsung does that.

I look forward to the day that we have a better display than what HTC is using right now.
    Biggest is better
    03-15-2013 09:05 PM
    OLED screens will get absolutely better, i've said it before and ill say it again, OLEDs are in their infancy comparing it to LCD is like putting a seasoned player vs a rookie and despite this fact OLED is holding its own.
    Also when you compare OLED vs LCD its completely different technology, its like comparing a Bird to an Airplane (of equal size). Both can fly, both look similar but they way they work is very different.

I understand where people have a different opinion of the technologies, i think what bothers me the most is they use the Term AMOLED as the fault with the displays. they are using as a blanket statements. AMOLED's are bad. When the architecture of the device is what they are refering to. Galaxy displays are just scratching the surface of the OLED technology.
    Bout time ha ha!
    03-15-2013 09:06 PM
    Haven't we hit the point where there are so many pixels that you can't see them unless you're putting your phone under a microscope? So unless you plan to do that, why does it matter? Let's not pretend like you can actually see the pixels.
    I am inclined to agree. What the hell? Looking at your phone with a magnifying glass? That would be the only way I could see any kind of pixel discrepancy. I am dreadfully nearsighted and by the time I got my screen so close to my eyes my vision went blurry before I saw any degradation of the screen image.
    03-15-2013 10:48 PM
    To me, both of these images look craptacular. You aren't meant to look at the screen that close, so why does it matter?
    03-15-2013 10:50 PM
    To the people that think that the pixels are so small that it is not possible to see the difference in display technology, I strongly urge you to look at two phones side by side with differing display technologies. At normal viewing distance, the difference is clear.

The subpixels and pixels are the building blocks of the image the display produces.

Any display that uses non-uniform subpixels is a display that compromises display clarity.
    Markster1 and Richards Duff like this.
    03-15-2013 11:13 PM
    Jerry seems to think the screen is good, and he's usually right.
    Yup
    When talking phones.....Jerry is always right.
    03-15-2013 11:56 PM
    To the people that think that the pixels are so small that it is not possible to see the difference in display technology, I strongly urge you to look at two phones side by side with differing display technologies. At normal viewing distance, the difference is clear.

The subpixels and pixels are the building blocks of the image the display produces.

Any display that uses non-uniform subpixels is a display that compromises display clarity.
    I assure you, my life will not have full meaning until I do this.
    03-16-2013 12:07 AM
    Jerry seems to think the screen is good, and he's usually right.
    Where did Jerry say it was good he is not a big fan of Samsung.
    03-16-2013 12:17 AM
    I assure you, my life will not have full meaning until I do this.
    You realize this is the 117th post in a thread about Display Technology on a forum about Phones & Tablets, right?
    03-16-2013 12:24 AM
    You realize this is the 117th post in a thread about Display Technology on a forum about Phones & Tablets, right?
    You realize it looks like you have a disability if you have your eye resting on your phone screen trying to see a pixel, right?
    03-16-2013 12:26 AM
    ^if you put SLCD next to PenTile you could easily tell them apart from normal viewing distances.
    Markster1 and Richards Duff like this.
    03-16-2013 02:30 AM
    ^if you put SLCD next to PenTile you could easily tell them apart from normal viewing distances.
    Well you are about the .5% that will not buy the S4 cause it is pentile we get it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    crester, The Real X Dawg and jroc like this.
    03-16-2013 02:41 AM
    And if you stare long enough, the Taiwanese crap will die long before the SKorean crap.
    03-16-2013 03:57 AM
    I'll take Taiwanese "crap" ANY DAY over S Korean turds. Everything Samsung I've owned has been cheaply made and fallen apart.

They won't get another dime from me.

Oh and LG is the same way...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    03-16-2013 09:05 AM
    I'll take Taiwanese "crap" ANY DAY over S Korean turds. Everything Samsung I've owned has been cheaply made and fallen apart.

They won't get another dime from me.

Oh and LG is the same way...

I have had at least 5 Samsung devices my wife has had 3 and not one of them fell apart. I bricked one while flashing a bootloader because I dropped it in the middle of the flash but that's not samsungs fault lol.

Are you running over your devices with a car? Or tieing it naked to a rope and dragging it through the town while riding a horse?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Johnly likes this.
    03-16-2013 09:47 AM
    I have had at least 5 Samsung devices my wife has had 3 and not one of them fell apart. I bricked one while flashing a bootloader because I dropped it in the middle of the flash but that's not samsungs fault lol.

Are you running over your devices with a car? Or tieing it naked to a rope and dragging it through the town while riding a horse?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Yep that's exactly what I did after my devices broke. There are a lot of people out there who wouldn't buy Samsung again. They make a beautiful product but don't support it if you have problems. I'm happy for you that you have not had problems...hopefully you won't.

03-16-2013 10:28 AM
    Probably true in some viewing conditions. But that's not a deal breaker to me. If it looks great on its own, I don't care how it looks compared to another. I'm not going to be holding the two side by side constantly for my whole contract, languishing the fact that my 1080 HD screen looks ever so slightly different from another 1080 HD screen. If I did that, I'd have a seizure trying to buy a new tv with them all lined up.
    jroc likes this.
    03-16-2013 10:40 AM
390 ... 34567 ...