S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has lost their minds! Who in the world puts a Pentile display on a phone in 2013?

They shot themselves in the foot here.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Did it really matter on the last phone?

Yes it did:

Super-AMOLED-vs-Retina-Display-4.jpg

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
To be clear here, 1080p PenTile (441 ppi) is actually still sharper than Retina (326 ppi). It's even sharper than the Blackberry Z10 (355 ppi), which is significantly sharper than the iPhone 5.

1920 x 1080 at 4.7", 3 subpixels per pixel - 811 subpixels per inch (HTC One)

1920 x 1080 at 5", 2 subpixels per pixel - 623 subpixels per inch (Samsung Galaxy S4)

1280 x 768 at 4.2", 3 subpixels per pixel - 615 subpixels per inch (Blackberry Z10)

1136 x 640 at 4", 3 subpixels per pixel - 565 subpixels per inch (iPhone 5)

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not the same: S4: 5-inch full HD Super AMOLED; 1,920x1,080 pixels, 441ppi

Yes it is. Compared to the HTC One and Sony, the S4 is going to have horrible pixelation up close.

To be clear here, 1080p PenTile (441 ppi) is actually still sharper than Retina (326 ppi). It's even sharper than the Blackberry Z10 (355 ppi), which is significantly sharper than the iPhone 5.

1920 x 1080 at 4.7", 3 subpixels per pixel - 811 subpixels per inch (HTC One)

1920 x 1080 at 5", 2 subpixels per pixel - 623 subpixels per inch (Samsung Galaxy S4)

1280 x 768 at 4.2", 3 subpixels per pixel - 615 subpixels per inch (Blackberry Z10)

1136 x 640 at 4", 3 subpixels per pixel - 565 subpixels per inch (iPhone 5)

Your point?

The iPhone is from the last generation of phones. It competed with the S3 and had more PPI.
Blackberry Z10 is a lost cause.

The whole thing comes down to what the S4 competes with: the HTC One. And at the end of the day the S4 pentile display is going to be pixelated and grainy.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is. Compared to the HTC One and Sony, the S4 is going to have horrible pixelation up close.

Your point?

The iPhone is from the last generation of phones. It competed with the S3 and had more PPI.

The whole thing comes down to what the S4 competes with: the HTC One. And at the end of the day the S4 pentile display is going to be pixelated and grainy.
When was the last time anyone has ever said that their iPhone or iPad with Retina display was "pixelated and grainy"?

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So you've seen it then?
At 441 ppi you must have some amazing vision to see "horrible pixelation".

BTW, they've got a whole new pixel layout on the S4 display, too.

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Your point?

Haven't we hit the point where there are so many pixels that you can't see them unless you're putting your phone under a microscope? So unless you plan to do that, why does it matter? Let's not pretend like you can actually see the pixels.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Your point?

And at the end of the day the S4 pentile display is going to be pixelated and grainy.

Here's MY point. The S3 doesn't look grainy or pixilated at all. The S4 won't either. At this resolution no one will EVER believe that anyone can see sub pixels with the naked eye.

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

You can't say that the S III screen was poor because of its Pentile display and then link to the 3-year-old Samsung Galaxy S to iPhone 4 comparison shot as proof...

These days I think it comes down more to preference. The new LCD panels look so good that they are almost unbelievable; it looks like images are printed onto the phone. The Galaxy S III looks great, but it doesn't look "real". I like the viewing angles and really like the true black when using the phone at night (this last is especially nice when reading books).

I'm not entirely certain, but the AMOLED display is also the reason they can keep the phone so thin, and it doesn't look like Samsung wants to give that up.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You can't say that the S III screen was poor because of its Pentile display and then link to the 3-year-old Samsung Galaxy S to iPhone 4 comparison shot as proof...

These days I think it comes down more to preference. The new LCD panels look so good that they are almost unbelievable; it looks like images are printed onto the phone. The Galaxy S III looks great, but it doesn't look "real". I like the viewing angles and really like the true black when using the phone at night (this last is especially nice when reading books).

I'm not entirely certain, but the AMOLED display is also the reason they can keep the phone so thin, and it doesn't look like Samsung wants to give that up.
That's his idea of proving his blind opinions about stuff when he hasn't even tried it himself.

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site

Your point?

Stop looking at your phone magnified. You must have lost your mind if you think the display is going to look pixelated. I will be buying the HTC One as it should be released first, when the S4 is released I will purchase it if the HTC does not meet my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.