S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I thought Pentile would be a problem w/ the S3 as well....haven't noticed it at all...

At the S4's higher res, I doubt most people would notice unless you have magnifying glasses for eyes...

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^Spend 5 minutes with a RGB LCD and you'll see what you've been missing.

PenTile absolutely SUCKS! Compare a HTC One X/EVO LTE to a GS3. They has the same resolution and screen size, yet the HTC One X/EVO LTE look amazingly better. Why? Because for clarity, LCD >>>>>>>>>>>>>PENTILE:
173560-image_AMOLED_vs_LCD.jpg

PenTile and Snapdragon in the US, plus there is no telling if Samsung has fixed the Antenna issues that has been on all their phones (except the N2, apparently). All have me holding out.

I'll be buying a Note 2 now off contract for ~$500 and sit on my upgrade to see what winter brings (Moto X, Note 3, etc).

I also really wish they would have incorporated front facing speakers...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh my....the pentile debate:banghead: the s4 is better than the s3, and the s3 is gorgeous. Going to have to stop in and lo at one of these atrocities tomorrow so I can speak truth.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Good thing nobody told me that before I started using my Note 2 outdoors. I didn't know I had a problem with it.

Well, I feel the same, but dropping down the np and increasing the brightness may be to much for some. Most of sammys devices come turned way down otb.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
where is that shot taken from? I have an S3 and never have experienced a display that looks that horrible. All of my videos and pick look very clear. I'd say in some videos the iPhone display looks almost 'lifelike', but the comparison above seems highly exaggerated to me.
That photo is of the S, not the S3 ... ignore it ;)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So your worried about seeing pixels at 50x zoom on your phone? U won't even notice any pixels when using it like one would normally use a phone. On the gnex you can't really see pixelation unless u rub your cornea right onto the screen. u should have known they would be going the amoled route

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
^Spend 5 minutes with a RGB LCD and you'll see what you've been missing.

PenTile absolutely SUCKS! Compare a HTC One X/EVO LTE to a GS3. They has the same resolution and screen size, yet the HTC One X/EVO LTE look amazingly better. Why? Because for clarity, LCD >>>>>>>>>>>>>PENTILE:
http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/2012/7/173560-image_AMOLED_vs_LCD.jpg

PenTile and Snapdragon in the US, plus there is no telling if Samsung has fixed the Antenna issues that has been on all their phones (except the N2, apparently). All have me holding out.

I'll be buying a Note 2 now off contract for ~$500 and sit on my upgrade to see what winter brings (Moto X, Note 3, etc).

I also really wish they would have incorporated front facing speakers...

Far more than just pentile sub pixel layout plays a role in the SLCD2/3 looking better than current AMOLED displays.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Far more than just pentile sub pixel layout plays a role in the SLCD2/3 looking better than current AMOLED displays.

Do these displays perform better? I mean fps, cpu usage, battery life, choking or clipping apps that dont hit HD well yet? I think the note2 is the perfect blend of beautiful and running my android and apps with stunning performance backed up by killer battery life. I am so biased.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Samsung has lost their minds! Who in the world puts a Pentile display on a phone in 2013?

They shot themselves in the foot here.

Something tells me the OP has never actually used the screen on an S3, or he wouldn't be whining about this. The S4 screen promises to be even better. No one who actually has an S3 complains about the screen.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Do these displays perform better? I mean fps, cpu usage, battery life, choking or clipping apps that dont hit HD well yet? I think the note2 is the perfect blend of beautiful and running my android and apps with stunning performance backed up by killer battery life. I am so biased.
Keep in mind PenTile and AMOLED are different terms. The Note 2 display is AMOLED, but its not PenTile. The S3 is AMOLED and PenTile. Its a funny thing, the Note 2 looks better than the S3, even with the lower ppi, why? No awful PenTile.

Something tells me the OP has never actually used the screen on an S3, or he wouldn't be whining about this. The S4 screen promises to be even better. No one who actually has an S3 complains about the screen.
No person in their right mind would put a PenTile panel up to a LCD panel and choose the PenTile as the winner for clarity. There is zero reason to use PenTile.

Last edited:

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Knowing several folks with Galaxies, but not actually having owned one I have often wondered about how great of a concern the "burn-in" or color degradation on AMOLED is vs LCD?
Still love my Rezound's display (imho the most impressive screen to have slipped under the tech radar) even though it doesn't hold a candle to the SLCD2's and 3's found on the newer HTC devices, but I do feel a bit of envy at times when I see the nice blacks and vibrant colors on AMOLED.

wickedcontra

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Lol.... really it's about competition? I thought Samsung was in it to make a profit. At the end of the day its what Samsung sees fit to make money. People dont know what they dont know. I did not buy the sgs3 to have the best phone or rhe best screen. I wanted this phone because I would see my self enjoying this better then any orher phone. I also see my self enjoying the sgs4. The secret is marketing. best phone or worst phone sgs4 is going to outsell the sgs3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind PenTile and AMOLED are different terms. The Note 2 display is AMOLED, but its not PenTile. The S3 is AMOLED and PenTile. Its a funny thing, the Note 2 looks better than the S3, even with the lower ppi, why? No awful AMOLED.

I know lol. No worries;) pentile drove me bonkers on my bionic. I think since the s3, the pentile debate has expired. Everything released is looking good on these flagships. I highly doubt we see "awful s4 screen posts." Thinking the trolls need to get the jabs in now before the device hits and squashes the ney sayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol