S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If I set my note 2 to movie mode, it pulls even more color and further de saturates it. As long as I have the option to set it to my liking and control the saturation. I kinda like the saturation of colors though. I think most amoled fans do.

The best viewing amoled experience I have had is a note 2, natural mode set to 90% brightness. The real kicker, I can go 16 to 20 hours heavy use with on screen times of 5 plus hours.

I think all these things need to be considered in the "viewing experience."

Droidxcon, if amoled gets better than whats on the note 2, which it will, then I think we have busted this thread, and the truth is the display on the s4 is going to be quite nice as stated by AC administration.

Last edited:

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If I set my note 2 to movie mode, it pulls even more color and further de saturates it. As long as I have the option to set it to my liking and control the saturation. I kinda like the saturation of colors though. I think most amoled fans do.

The best viewing amoled experience I have had is a note 2, natural mode set to 90% brightness. The real kicker, I can go 16 to 20 hours heavy use with on screen times of 5 plus hours.

I think all these things need to me considered in the "viewing experience."

Droidxcon, if amoled gets better than whats on the note 2, which it will, then I think we have busted this thread, and the truth is the display on the s4 is going to be quite nice as stated by AC administration.

How do you put the Note 2 in movie mode?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

OLED screens will get absolutely better, i've said it before and ill say it again, OLEDs are in their infancy comparing it to LCD is like putting a seasoned player vs a rookie and despite this fact OLED is holding its own.
Also when you compare OLED vs LCD its completely different technology, its like comparing a Bird to an Airplane (of equal size). Both can fly, both look similar but they way they work is very different.

I understand where people have a different opinion of the technologies, i think what bothers me the most is they use the Term AMOLED as the fault with the displays. they are using as a blanket statements. AMOLED's are bad. When the architecture of the device is what they are refering to. Galaxy displays are just scratching the surface of the OLED technology.

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED is over saturated. LCD is more accurate in that regard.

I partially agree, although look at how most people view their TVs, usually on a standard/dynamic mode and contrast/picture set high rather than a calibrated reference setting. Most prefer a dynamic contrast even if it's not the most accurate.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I KNEW you couldn't stay away DroidxCon! Lol

Yes people prefer colors that "pop" which is probably why Samsung does that.

I look forward to the day that we have a better display than what HTC is using right now.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
OLED screens will get absolutely better, i've said it before and ill say it again, OLEDs are in their infancy comparing it to LCD is like putting a seasoned player vs a rookie and despite this fact OLED is holding its own.
Also when you compare OLED vs LCD its completely different technology, its like comparing a Bird to an Airplane (of equal size). Both can fly, both look similar but they way they work is very different.

I understand where people have a different opinion of the technologies, i think what bothers me the most is they use the Term AMOLED as the fault with the displays. they are using as a blanket statements. AMOLED's are bad. When the architecture of the device is what they are refering to. Galaxy displays are just scratching the surface of the OLED technology.

Bout time ha ha!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Haven't we hit the point where there are so many pixels that you can't see them unless you're putting your phone under a microscope? So unless you plan to do that, why does it matter? Let's not pretend like you can actually see the pixels.

I am inclined to agree. What the hell? Looking at your phone with a magnifying glass? That would be the only way I could see any kind of pixel discrepancy. I am dreadfully nearsighted and by the time I got my screen so close to my eyes my vision went blurry before I saw any degradation of the screen image.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
To the people that think that the pixels are so small that it is not possible to see the difference in display technology, I strongly urge you to look at two phones side by side with differing display technologies. At normal viewing distance, the difference is clear.

The subpixels and pixels are the building blocks of the image the display produces.

Any display that uses non-uniform subpixels is a display that compromises display clarity.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
To the people that think that the pixels are so small that it is not possible to see the difference in display technology, I strongly urge you to look at two phones side by side with differing display technologies. At normal viewing distance, the difference is clear.

The subpixels and pixels are the building blocks of the image the display produces.

Any display that uses non-uniform subpixels is a display that compromises display clarity.

I assure you, my life will not have full meaning until I do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.