S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'll take Taiwanese "crap" ANY DAY over S Korean turds. Everything Samsung I've owned has been cheaply made and fallen apart.

They won't get another dime from me.

Oh and LG is the same way...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'll take Taiwanese "crap" ANY DAY over S Korean turds. Everything Samsung I've owned has been cheaply made and fallen apart.

I have had at least 5 Samsung devices my wife has had 3 and not one of them fell apart. I bricked one while flashing a bootloader because I dropped it in the middle of the flash but that's not samsungs fault lol.

Are you running over your devices with a car? Or tieing it naked to a rope and dragging it through the town while riding a horse?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I have had at least 5 Samsung devices my wife has had 3 and not one of them fell apart. I bricked one while flashing a bootloader because I dropped it in the middle of the flash but that's not samsungs fault lol.

Are you running over your devices with a car? Or tieing it naked to a rope and dragging it through the town while riding a horse?

Yep that's exactly what I did after my devices broke. There are a lot of people out there who wouldn't buy Samsung again. They make a beautiful product but don't support it if you have problems. I'm happy for you that you have not had problems...hopefully you won't.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
^if you put SLCD next to PenTile you could easily tell them apart from normal viewing distances.

Probably true in some viewing conditions. But that's not a deal breaker to me. If it looks great on its own, I don't care how it looks compared to another. I'm not going to be holding the two side by side constantly for my whole contract, languishing the fact that my 1080 HD screen looks ever so slightly different from another 1080 HD screen. If I did that, I'd have a seizure trying to buy a new tv with them all lined up.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

You probably are comparing old Samsung devices to HTC's newest. If you owned a high end Samsung that was late 2011 or newer, I would bet it didn't "fall apart". And if it did, you probably had something happen that would have broken any phone. I may prefer one manufacturer over another, but I won't lie and say one fell apart. Multiple times.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the AMOLED will more than likely be a very nice screen on its own. But it will definitely fall short next to an SLCD-3. The choice is clear if you want the best screen on your smartphone these days.

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
You probably are comparing old Samsung devices to HTC's newest. If you owned a high end Samsung that was late 2011 or newer, I would bet it didn't "fall apart". And if it did, you probably had something happen that would have broken any phone. I may prefer one manufacturer over another, but I won't lie and say one fell apart. Multiple times.

Are you calling me a liar?

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
OH NO! The horror! Our phones won't look good when we want to use a microscope to look at them!

It didn't bother me on the SGS3 and it won't bother me on the SGS4. I had a HTC One X also.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is. Compared to the HTC One and Sony, the S4 is going to have horrible pixelation up close.

Your point?

The iPhone is from the last generation of phones. It competed with the S3 and had more PPI.
Blackberry Z10 is a lost cause.

The whole thing comes down to what the S4 competes with: the HTC One. And at the end of the day the S4 pentile display is going to be pixelated and grainy.

I don't think it will be all that bad. It is 1920x1080, so it should look good. I will make my final decision when I can hold it in my hands. Hey I wear glasses and I don't have eagle eyes. So we shall see....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you calling me a liar?

Sort of I guess. I mean it's possible all your Samsung devices fell apart. But if they ALL did, then you were doing something with them that would have destroyed any brand of electronic device. Because Samsung wouldn't be so popular with such great reviews if EVERYTHING they make falls apart.

OR you bought a ton of low end electronics which is a bad idea no matter who makes them. So either it was one of those scenarios, or I just do not believe you.

People constantly embellish the "truth" to try and make a point. But if you took reasonably good care of high end Samsung electronics they would not all fall apart. Maybe a dud here or there, but not every single one you've ever owned.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The SLCD looks blurry to me.

173560-image_AMOLED_vs_LCD.jpg

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Sort of I guess. I mean it's possible all your Samsung devices fell apart. But if they ALL did, then you were doing something with them that would have destroyed any brand of electronic device. Because Samsung wouldn't be so popular with such great reviews if EVERYTHING they make falls apart.

OR you bought a ton of low end electronics which is a bad idea no matter who makes them. So either it was one of those scenarios, or I just do not believe you.

People constantly embellish the "truth" to try and make a point. But if you took reasonably good care of high end Samsung electronics they would not all fall apart. Maybe a dud here or there, but not every single one you've ever owned.

Well I had two older flip phones (v205 and SCH-A900) and a R225 and C207 that didn't hold up very well. I understand that's a whole different category. Also had a LCD TV that lasted two years. Wife had a SGSII that had to be replaced three times before we wound up just getting her an iPhone 4S. Did every one literally fall apart? No, but I had an issue with every one of them so I just used a generalization to state that I am not impressed with their product quality at all.

Need anymore details?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I had two older flip phones (v205 and SCH-A900) and a R225 and C207 that didn't hold up very well. I understand that's a whole different category. Also had a LCD TV that lasted two years. Wife had a SGSII that had to be replaced three times before we wound up just getting her an iPhone 4S. Did every one literally fall apart? No, but I had an issue with every one of them so I just used a generalization to state that I am not impressed with their product quality at all.

Need anymore details?

What issues did you have with the gs2? Replacement phones usually have problems.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It's a good thing I don't hold my phone 1/2" from my face while using it. Otherwise, I'd be terribly disappointed by the graininess of the screen.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My 2 cents I have to throw into this conversation is...

Originally on the HOX, Phil and many others were in love with the LCD display. They liked the S3 but couldn't help but give it a small thumbs down for the pentile display but by no means was it horrible. Now were up against the HTC One and the S4. Again we are at these same cross roads deciding which is better.

Regardless of whichever device you choice as the winner in your opinion hasn't our standards gotten a bit out of control? It wasn't a little over a year ago and we had much less quality displays which we used to brag about and say they were the best thing. Now technology has yet advanced again and we have become so picky. IMO, I have seen and used the HOX, my wife has the S3.. They are all awesome devices, one with a tad better display quality.

Personally I think there is much bigger areas of a device to tear apart than the small difference in display technology/quality. Things like overall battery life, responsiveness, software, OEM & carrier support (including trying to stay up to date on OS).

Anyhow.. Just my 2 cents.. To me and probably most of the common public aside from us techy people here in the forums they look at the HOX/The One vs S3/S4 and they probably wouldn't even notice a difference in displays unless you made comment to them. They look at things like how user friendly the software and interface is and ultimately the price for what they are getting.

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Original phone started to not allow my wife to answer incoming phone calls. The replacements screen would randomly go black requiring a restart several times a day. The final replacement had an issue where you couldn't end a phone call without restarting phone...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Original phone started to not allow my wife to answer incoming phone calls. The replacements screen would randomly go black requiring a restart several times a day. The final replacement had an issue where you couldn't end a phone call without restarting phone... Just saying

These are Common problems with smart phones. Your odds of getting problems when you get phone replacements go way up. Htc and other companies suffer from similar issues.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363466714380.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363466714380.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363466727340.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363466727340.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363466737543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363466737543.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 41

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
These are Common problems with smart phones. Your odds of getting problems when you get phone replacements go way up. Htc and other companies suffer from similar issues.

Dude do you work for Samsung? Geez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21