S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
What exactly does having a pentile arrangement do? I know it's different then rgb but what does it do? Better color saturation?

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

OLED materials are still in development., in the early 90s a red material would be activated and die(or degrade) within seconds. Now red materials live millions of hours , while green lasts less longer and Blue degrades the fastest.

In an RGB layout all subpixels are of equal size so if a certain color degrades faster it would be noticeable. Think of it like red green and Blue are each a tank of gas . Red tank would stay full the longest and Blue may run out of gas long before the other two.

With pentile they were able to make different size subpixels instead of being uniform like in an RGB layout. So basically giving blue a bigger gas tank so it would go longer to keep up with red and green.

Since increasing the size of blue subpixel left obvious gaps they compensated by splitting up green and filling gaps this Became known as a RGBG layout.

Then then the next question would be why were they able to use rgb on the note 2. Since the resolution was only 720p they were able to use larger size pixels.

But in order to do 1080p they would need to reduce the size of the subpixels which caused the original problem of blue dying quickly(the whole small tank analogy).

With the S4 they configured the subpixels differently to fillin more gaps and create a higher resolution while protecting the lifetime of each color.

I hope this makes sense I broke it down as simple as I could think of it.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
OLED materials are still in development., in the early 90s a red material would be activated and die(or degrade) within seconds. Now red materials live millions of hours , while green lasts less longer and Blue degrades the fastest.

In an RGB layout all subpixels are of equal size so if a certain color degrades faster it would be noticeable. Think of it like red green and Blue are each a tank of gas . Red tank would stay full the longest and Blue may run out of gas long before the other two.

With pentile they were able to make different size subpixels instead of being uniform like in an RGB layout. So basically giving blue a bigger gas tank so it would go longer to keep up with red and green.

Since increasing the size of blue subpixel left obvious gaps they compensated by splitting up green and filling gaps this Became known as a RGBG layout.

Then then the next question would be why were they able to use rgb on the note 2. Since the resolution was only 720p they were able to use larger size pixels.

But in order to do 1080p they would need to reduce the size of the subpixels which caused the original problem of blue dying quickly(the whole small tank analogy).

With the S4 they configured the subpixels differently to fillin more gaps and create a higher resolution while protecting the lifetime of each color.

I hope this makes sense I broke it down as simple as I could think of it.

Boy, you have taught me more about OLED in the past two weeks...
A big thanks goes out to you.

Harry

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, but is what I said true about pentile v. RGB?

For any given brightness, lower power consumption. And for any given number of subpixels, higher resolution.

Yes because since green pixels are more efficient and more abundant you can receive a brighter image without cranking up the power.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes because since green pixels are more efficient and more abundant you can receive a brighter image without cranking up the power.
What about the second part - for any given number of subpixels, higher resolution. I wasn't sure if that was correct, but I read it on a manufacturer's website so I thought it had to be.

Here is where I read it
Pentile Technology - What Does It Do?

Last edited:

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Pentile also brings with it a noticeable decrease in sharpness (less subpixels per inch). It is still apparent (admittedly only with close observation) that the S4 is not as sharp compared to its 1080p LCD peers. Check out the phone arena comparisons. Not as bad as the SIII (which looked pretty bad in comparison) but the problem is still there.

screen-comparison-galaxy-s4.jpg

They have a zoomed in comparison on their page as well. The problem is much more apparent there. Still, don't think this will be too visible in everyday use.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I also notice on my GNex that whites look bluish when viewed from an angle but not when viewed straight on. What causes that effect?

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Pentile also brings with it a noticeable decrease in sharpness (less subpixels per inch). It is still apparent (admittedly only with close observation) that the S4 is not as sharp compared to its 1080p LCD peers. Check out the phone arena comparisons. Not as bad as the SIII (which looked pretty bad in comparison) but the problem is still there.

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/130061-image/screen-comparison-galaxy-s4.jpg

They have a zoomed in comparison on their page as well. The problem is much more apparent there. Still, don't think this will be too visible in everyday use.
Good enough for me. To me the One only wins by a small amount overall with the Xperiz in a close second.and the S4 in a close third.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
What about the second part - for any given number of subpixels, higher resolution. I wasn't sure if that was correct, but I read it on a manufacturer's website so I thought it had to be.

Here is where I read it
Pentile Technology - What Does It Do?
I think since they are talking about RGBW in that article and not RGBG that same principle does not apply.

I also notice on my GNex that whites look bluish when viewed from an angle but when viewed straight on. What causes that effect?

I am not a display expert nor am I privy to Samsungs device structures or materials they use. I am on the team that Develops phosphorus OLED molecules and structures. So ill tell you what may be the reasons.
1. Since blue degrades the quickest (as mentioned earlier in the thread) they not only make it the largest subpixel but they also optimize the screen to accommodate it. So in the earlier screens white has bluish tint in general.
2. There is something called angular dependency. Color can shift at certain angles depending on the substrate they are grown on, and the optics they use to deliver light emission(even clear screen protectors can effect optics). This dependence can be reduced by adjusting thickness layers of material around the emissive layers of OLEDs. I don't think Samsung is concerned with angular dependency as they are with material lifetime.

But all devices suffer from these dependencies on some level. LCDs get dark depending on the viewing angle.

Like I said I don't know details about samsungs display structures so I can answer that question with any type of certainty

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
This has gone from being an acrimonious attack on the S4 display to getting pretty educational and interesting - an utter reversal of the usual Internet discussion group thread evolution (devolution?). Awesome :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Good enough for me. To me the One only wins by a small amount overall with the Xperiz in a close second.and the S4 in a close third.

On color alone both galaxies would tie for dead last. Brightness, the S4 would be second to last and the S3 last.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
lol next we are going to start to argue over sub atomic particles , keeping the discussion on what our eyes can actually see would be silly

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I was brave and went up to my local VZW store tonight (the reps there are mean, rude, pushy and scary) and checked out the DNA's screen. I held my GNex next to it and wow, the DNA does have a nice screen compared to my GNex. It is just so much clearer and brighter. But I would have to see it outside to know if the glass was reflective or not.

Still, I love my GNex's make believe colors.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has lost their minds! Who in the world puts a Pentile display on a phone in 2013?

They shot themselves in the foot here.
Really...what different does it make to the average user ??? most of the people are not experts like you ............ most of us want a good phone with good features better than the previous one ............. most of the people is interested in battery life, better camera, better reception, SD card and removable battery.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I was brave and went up to my local VZW store tonight (the reps there are mean, rude, pushy and scary) and checked out the DNA's screen. I held my GNex next to it and wow, the DNA does have a nice screen compared to my GNex. It is just so much clearer and brighter. But I would have to see it outside to know if the glass was reflective or not.

Still, I love my GNex's make believe colors.

Gnex has a PPI of like 200 vs DNA is up in the 440s DNAs screen will stomp it all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae