S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
2933997-898377-mobile-phone-and-a-magnifying-glass-set-in-gold-are-shown-in-the-image.jpg

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
From GSMARENA review
http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913p3.php

Comparing HTC one and GS4 display
The pixel densities of both are ridiculously high (441ppi for the S4, 469ppi for the One), but honestly anything over 400ppi looks the same. One thing is for sure though, there is a difference between the 400+ppi screens and the 300+ppi screens of the last generation, though it's not a Retina-scale revolution.

Still, it should be noted that the Super AMOLED on the Galaxy S4 uses a PenTile matrix, which means there are fewer sub-pixels in total (two per pixel instead of three). The high pixel density and the odd arrangement of the subpixels does a great job at hiding that, though. So, while the 306ppi Super AMOLED on the Galaxy S III showed some jaggies up close, this one doesn't.
Many people complain about the oversaturated colors of AMOLED screens (while others prefer them), but Samsung quells such complaints with the special Adobe RGB mode for the display, which greatly improves color accuracy.

Excellent viewing angles and contrast are typical advantages of AMOLEDs and the Galaxy S4 screen is a great example.

The HTC One's screen on the other hand is very much in the running for the best LCD - it has great colors and impressive contrast and viewing angles. There's a slight contrast loss at very wide angles, but you'll probably never notice. Black levels are good and the maximum brightness goes up pretty high.

Where the One runs into a problem is sunlight legibility - it's good, but not great. It's comparable to that of a Sony Xperia Z and noticeably better than that of the HTC Butterfly. However, the Galaxy S4 screen is just less reflective, giving it better sunlight legibility even if the maximum brightness is lower.

Winner: Samsung Galaxy S4. The Samsung flagship takes this one, as its screen is bigger, with better sunlight legibility, while still offering you the option to have accurate colors thanks to Adobe RGB mode. The HTC One screen is impressive, too, but the higher pixel density can't really make up for the lower native contrast and slightly inferior sunlight legibility.

[Note]Even if this review is slightly based on opinion it shows that the GS4 display is closing the gap on display quality. Either display is a win though[/note]

Is it really so bad I feel passionately about quality?

Samsung should be blasted by every person. There are zero people that could look at both phones and say the PenTile display looks clearer.

Pentile is clearly an inferior product.

Trying to figure out why you think IPS is bad, when it's a pretty great form of LCD technology.

And yes, LCD isn't as good at blacks, but it's so much better at everything else that it's contrast ratio is higher. Brightness is more important than black level as long as the black level is "good enough" in the LCD. In the SLCD2 it was really good (best display of last year).

AMOLED is over saturated. LCD is more accurate in that regard. PenTile is not just one particular type of sub pixel arrangement. It covers multiple forms of non-RGB stripe layouts. "diamond" matrix sure does sound like a great marketing term. It gets people to stop saying PenTile. Smart of Samsung (or whoever made it up).

Still no links...

I think the comments from both sides are pretty extremist.

I had an S3 and I personally did find text in particular have a certain 'grain' to them and weren't as crisp as text on the iPhone 5 or HTC One X. Not sure if that was due to pentile or not.

At the resolution the S4 has, I don't think grain should be an issue. However, sunlight visibility, web browsing battery life and colour accuracy are important to me, which are areas I feel that LCD excel over AMOLED.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
From GSMARENA review
http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_vs_htc_one-review-913p3.php

Where the One runs into a problem is sunlight legibility - it's good, but not great. It's comparable to that of a Sony Xperia Z and noticeably better than that of the HTC Butterfly. However, the Galaxy S4 screen is just less reflective, giving it better sunlight legibility even if the maximum brightness is lower.

Winner: Samsung Galaxy S4. The Samsung flagship takes this one, as its screen is bigger, with better sunlight legibility, while still offering you the option to have accurate colors thanks to Adobe RGB mode. The HTC One screen is impressive, too, but the higher pixel density can't really make up for the lower native contrast and slightly inferior sunlight legibility.

Well, finally someone has reviewed both devices!

Although I was in the fence between these two devices, I felt the S4 was the best phone for me. Now I know the Galaxy SIV will be my next device.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to ****!) using Android Central Forums

hung2900

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Pentile also brings with it a noticeable decrease in sharpness (less subpixels per inch). It is still apparent (admittedly only with close observation) that the S4 is not as sharp compared to its 1080p LCD peers. Check out the phone arena comparisons. Not as bad as the SIII (which looked pretty bad in comparison) but the problem is still there.

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/130061-image/screen-comparison-galaxy-s4.jpg

They have a zoomed in comparison on their page as well. The problem is much more apparent there. Still, don't think this will be too visible in everyday use.

If you say so, I can say iPhone 5 is sooooooooo pixelated, but can you see any pixel in the real life?. Man, it's under the microscope. You're watching on a screen with at least 15 inch, and no matter how you see the screen closely it's cannot be that big as you can see on screen. You can try to look at screen further and try to recognize the pixels, ok?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
This is what I hated about the Rezound - how reflective the screen was. Does this have something to do with LCDs vs. AMOLED or is it just the glass over top of the display that is so reflective?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Still, it should be noted that the Super AMOLED on the Galaxy S4 uses a PenTile matrix, which means there are fewer sub-pixels in total (two per pixel instead of three).
OK, now I understand why I read that the pentile screens for any given number of subpixels have higher resolution - it's because they have 2 subpixels per pixel. If resolution is pixels per inch (ppi) and each AMOLED pixel has only 2 subpixels per pixel compared to an LCD screen which has 3 subpixels per pixel, then for any given number of subpixels a pentile screen will have more pixels and therefore higher resolution.

But that seems worse for the viewer since it decreases sharpness, no?

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Pentile also brings with it a noticeable decrease in sharpness (less subpixels per inch). It is still apparent (admittedly only with close observation) that the S4 is not as sharp compared to its 1080p LCD peers. Check out the phone arena comparisons. Not as bad as the SIII (which looked pretty bad in comparison) but the problem is still there.

They have a zoomed in comparison on their page as well. The problem is much more apparent there. Still, don't think this will be too visible in everyday use.

This is meaningful if you routinely use a loupe to view your screen. If, like 99.9999999999% of phone users you use your naked eye, you'll never see the difference. In other words, it's a stupid, meaningless comparison.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This is what I hated about the Rezound - how reflective the screen was. Does this have something to do with LCDs vs. AMOLED or is it just the glass over top of the display that is so reflective?

The glass

OK, now I understand why I read that the pentile screens for any given number of subpixels have higher resolution - it's because they have 2 subpixels per pixel. If resolution is pixels per inch (ppi) and each AMOLED pixel has only 2 subpixels per pixel compared to an LCD screen which has 3 subpixels per pixel, then for any given number of subpixels a pentile screen will have more pixels and therefore higher resolution.

You are still thinking in old pentile ways. Please refer to post #177 of this thread you will see they have more subpixels because the new subpixels are much smaller and fills in more gaps evenly.

How is contrast important to a viewer?
Higher contrast ratio gives you a larger color gaumet because they're are more shades of grey.
When you have a low color ratio you are limited on how saturated a color can be.

Some people say oled screens are over saturated but like I mentioned before that was by Samsungs design to have dramatic effect to their screens but as you see in gsm arenas review that you can get true color replication by simply changing color tuning to adobe rgb scale.

What does this mean?
I think they just meant that retina was a huge leap in display resolution technology. where now despite being very effective they changes are not as dramatic

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
WTF? Why would they put such a reflective piece of glass over the display?

I just took that from the review that you posted.

I have never seen the rezound in person.
Tvs do this. Some get glass over them and look awesome in the dark, until you turn on a light in the room and it becomes a mirror lol

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So it makes it brighter indoors and less usable outdoors?

I guess ,remember in not an expert in all things display lol

If you ever see anti glare screen protects they are not glossy. It's a matte finishe that refracts the light but the imagine quality of the screen is greatly reduced.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Forgive me if ive got this wrong, but wouldnt it be 2-1/2 sub pixels? Isn't each whole pixel basically sharing a green sub pixel with its neighbor?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie