S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Either way at 441ppi you arent going to see these pixels unless you jam the screen in your eyes or use a microscope. The S3 at 306ppi you really have to get close to the screen to see the pixels so an extra 135 ppi you really arent going to see the pixels

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
WTF? Why would they put such a reflective piece of glass over the display?

I just took that from the review that you posted.

The glass has nothing to do with it. On the rezound the issue was that the glass was not laminated to the lid, which created an air gap that then allowed the light to refract and create glare. The DNA screen is not reflective at all. Certainly not like the rezound. I have a hard time taking anything GSMArena writes seriously because they have been so seriously in the bag for Samsung in the past. The One will be just like the DNA, which has zero problems in sunlight.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The glass has nothing to do with it. On the rezound the issue was that the glass was not laminated to the lid, which created an air gap that then allowed the light to refract and create glare. The DNA screen is not reflective at all. Certainly not like the rezound. I have a hard time taking anything GSMArena writes seriously because they have been so seriously in the bag for Samsung in the past. The One will be just like the DNA, which has zero problems in sunlight.

they must tell all lies huh

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
i agree with you,when i first got my DNA i seen the note 2 and the iphone 5 on display at the verizon store i was about 8 feet away from the display they where on and the DNA screen caught my eye,but it was how real the picture looked,the note 2 looked to saturated to me,but once again it's preference,to me people that prefer Samsung often Knock HTC,for lack of updates non removable batteries and no sd cards, which for me are not an issue,but like you ranting at them they also cannot back up their statements about how the one will perform.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have never seen the rezound in person.
Tvs do this. Some get glass over them and look awesome in the dark, until you turn on a light in the room and it becomes a mirror lol

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Exactly. I don't know if this is still the case....but for TV's it was matte vs glossy screens. I never had an HDTV with a matte screen and on sunny days I either wish I did or wish I had some curtains, drapes. If the One screen is reflective like the Rezound.....I already know I wont like it.

I got 2 lines open on my family plan......hopefully I can add the GS4 and One. Even tho some phones have things I don't like....I like to keep my family plan diverse. I might lose my mind and add BB, the iPhone or WP instead....lol.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Unless you were specifically looking for it you wouldn't notice and even then it's really hard to see a difference. To me my s3s screen looks exactly the same as my sisters DROID and my mom's evo.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Looking at my brothers S3, I don't notice anything "horrible". Looks okay to me. I'm sure the S4 will solve this imaginary issue you keep brining up.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I don't know if this is still the case....but for TV's it was matte vs glossy screens. I never had an HDTV with a matte screen and on sunny days I either wish I did or wish I had some curtains, drapes. If the One screen is reflective like the Rezound.....I already know I wont like it.

I got 2 lines open on my family plan......hopefully I can add the GS4 and One. Even tho some phones have things I don't like....I like to keep my family plan diverse. I might lose my mind and add BB, the iPhone or WP instead....lol.

If it's anything like the One X it'll be really easy to use in sunlight.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What it really comes down to is actually seeing the displays hands on and side by side before making decisions and judgments off of past pentile displays.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
What it really comes down to is actually seeing the displays hands on and side by side before making decisions and judgments off of past pentile displays.
True but the reviews are done by people who actually have the device in hand so those are helpful, too. As for the outdoors visibility, you can't take the phones outdoors when they are in the store but if a rep has a device, they usually will take it outside for you to see.

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I get extremely pissed off at pixellated Pentile Scamtrix screens. I can spot the substandard bugscreen mesh even as I approach it from feet away. The biggest joke is it looks worse than a high quality LCD IPS except for the better viewing angles.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Unless masses of people complain there is not incentive for them to change. I would guess 99% of people buying the GS4 will never know (and don't care) that it has a pentile screen. It's only us phone nerds that really care:cool:.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I've had the One and S4 side by side and I don't know how anyone can say they see the Pentile Matrix of the S4. If you can, you have microscopic focus. LOL. Stop using the Pentile buzz word until you actually view side by side. I will say the One is considerably brighter than the S4. As for clarity and sharpness, there is no difference. It will clearly be up to the user to determine which display they want to use for the long haul.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
As for clarity and sharpness, there is no difference. It will clearly be up to the user to determine which display they want to use for the long haul.
There is a difference, by definition; because of the inferior sub-pixel arrangement, the S4 has less clarity versus an LCD of the same size and resolution. The fact that the ONE is a bit smaller makes it sharper still. Being on Verizon, I'll be getting the S4. That doesn't mean I'll pretend the clarity is just as good, it's not.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
One picture should easily settle the 'clarity' debate:

BXUR7hI.jpg

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
DISPLAYMATE S4 SHOOT-OUT

... when Automatic Brightness is turned on, the Peak Brightness becomes significantly brighter in high ambient lighting than is possible with Manual Brightness, up to as high as 475 cd/m2, which is 34 percent higher than is possible with Manual Brightness. The Galaxy S4 display is a major enhancement and improvement over the Galaxy S III ? a good reason to consider trading up. The screen has Full HD 1920x1080 resolution with more than double the number of pixels and with 44 percent higher Pixels Per Inch than the Galaxy S III. It is 25 percent brighter (and up to 68 percent brighter with Automatic Brightness) and the display is 20 percent more power efficient. The Galaxy S4 also has 5 user selectable Screen Modes and delivers much better picture quality and color accuracy.

The Galaxy S4 performs very well in high ambient lighting in spite of its typically lower screen brightness because it has one of the smallest screen Reflectance values of any display we have ever tested, and its more saturated colors can help cut through the reflected light glare. When Automatic Brightness is turned on, the screen brightness increases considerably at high levels of ambient lighting as mentioned above. The Galaxy S4 is then comparable or brighter than most LCD Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.