S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
That's nice but using the S4 in the mall after using the One for the past three days, I can't see any difference between the two except brightness. And no black bars...
Your experience in the mall vs the image displayed...one is more scientific. Opinion aside, SLCD clarity is superior.

Because of the sub-pixel arrangement, the S4 is incapable of producing a crisp edge straight line. This sub-pixel arrangement is literally, the very foundation of the clarity flaw in the S4 and its predecessors. No amount of debate can defeat the facts.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Your experience in the mall vs the image displayed...one is more scientific. Opinion aside, SLCD clarity is superior.

Sure it is superior but since I can only tell the difference by blowing up the images on the screen it's a non factor for me. Just more padding the stat sheet for most.

iJITSU

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have both the GS4 and the HTC One. As expected, the screen on the One is brighter. But I have to admit that the pentile matrix (something I loathe) on the GS4 is not noticeable and the text, etc. is sharp. At it's highest brightness, the screen looks really good. This makes my choice in phone much more difficult. But this is a problem I'm glad to have. :)

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Because of the sub-pixel arrangement, the S4 is incapable of producing a crisp edge straight line. This sub-pixel arrangement is literally, the very foundation of the clarity flaw in the S4 and its predecessors. No amount of debate can defeat the facts.

Dude do you have magnifying glasses for eyes or something? who is going to be able to see those pixels!!! Sure it looks more clear in that picture you posted, but to the human eye you can't tell the difference. And if you say you can, then i know you're just messing with people for the fun of it which is stupid.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Dude do you have magnifying glasses for eyes or something? who is going to be able to see those pixels!!! Sure it looks more clear in that picture you posted, but to the human eye you can't tell the difference. And if you say you can, then i know you're just messing with people for the fun of it which is stupid.
I can see it. It's not as noticeable as on the S3. But remember the "human eye can't see it" argument was used with the S3 as well. If the very foundation is flawed, how can whole not be?

I criticize the integrity (or eyesight) of anyone that can hold the One next to the S4 and see zero difference. Is it a deal breaker? No. Should we all pretend there isn't a difference? Absolutely not.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol, "first world problems"...

This new electronic gadget can give you the answer to practically any question ever asked by mankind in a matter of seconds... It can identify, download and play any song you can hear in minutes. It can play films in HD, or can direct you anywhere using satellites. You can ask it questions or ask it to send messages or remind you to do things, and it will carry out your request. It's screen is so high-res that you cannot see individual pixels in it and you don't need to even pay for it as long as you pay a few percent of your wages each month to use it. Its so small and light you won't even notice it in your pocket.

And yet people are still ******** about it over points that are totally irrelevant?

When I was nine a friend of my brothers came over with the latest gadget, an Atari VCS. They shut themselves in the front room and drew the curtains so me and my mates couldn't see, and spent the afternoon playing space invaders. We stood by the windows hoping for a glimpse, which we finally got, and I thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. It was like magic. The year was 1979....

Guys, you are living through a golden age, be grateful that your not going to war.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^I baked you a cake, there's only a very small turd in the batter...it's such a amazing cake with delicious frosting. It even comes with ice cream. What's the problem? A lot of people don't even get a meal...your getting cake.

BS to overlook issues simply because your in a better position than others. By that measure you should buy a feature phone and donate the difference. Please.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Lol, "first world problems"...

This new electronic gadget can give you the answer to practically any question ever asked by mankind in a matter of seconds... It can identify, download and play any song you can hear in minutes. It can play films in HD, or can direct you anywhere using satellites. You can ask it questions or ask it to send messages or remind you to do things, and it will carry out your request. It's screen is so high-res that you cannot see individual pixels in it and you don't need to even pay for it as long as you pay a few percent of your wages each month to use it. Its so small and light you won't even notice it in your pocket.

And yet people are still ******** about it over points that are totally irrelevant?

When I was nine a friend of my brothers came over with the latest gadget, an Atari VCS. They shut themselves in the front room and drew the curtains so me and my mates couldn't see, and spent the afternoon playing space invaders. We stood by the windows hoping for a glimpse, which we finally got, and I thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. It was like magic. The year was 1979....

Guys, you are living through a golden age, be grateful that your not going to war.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I want to turn this into a sig LOL!!!!

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
One picture should easily settle the 'clarity' debate:

http://i.imgur.com/BXUR7hI.jpg

I can see it. It's not as noticeable as on the S3. But remember the "human eye can't see it" argument was used with the S3 as well. If the very foundation is flawed, how can whole not be?

I criticize the integrity (or eyesight) of anyone that can hold the One next to the S4 and see zero difference. Is it a deal breaker? No. Should we all pretend there isn't a difference? Absolutely not.

I ask this question: which screen is the Droid X2 and which is the Droid X? X is non Pentile, X2 is Pentile... and remember the X2 and Bionic had what some called horrible screens....
X2-2338.jpg

Notice how I dont have pics that are zoomed in 1000 times... but more closer to real life.

Notice the same two pics zoomed in closer:
X2-2137.jpg

X2-2143.jpg

Notice the difference when zoomed in vs not zoomed in? Thats the point many are trying to get across.

Some of us can hold our phone farther away, some have to hold them closer. Some of us have better eyesite than others.. so yea...each persons viewing distance and eyesite will play a factor. At my normal viewing distances....my RAZR, G Nex, Droid X were so similar...I had to hold them..........closer than normal..... to really see the differences in each.

About the pic in your post I quoted, looking at it on my phone and not my PC:

I cant make out Pentile effects on the GS3 until I hold my phone closer to my face.
The Lumia 920 doesnt look as sharp as the GS4. The GS4 looks sharper than both the iPhone 5 and 920
Why do the Amoled screens have a green background? Like the battery icon in the pics I posted green and green backgrounds made the Pentile effect more noticeable for text for some reason. Is that background on purpose or does it look like that because its Amoled?

And on my phone the One and Z both look almost identical. See, taking the zoomed in pic you posted and looking at it on my phone tells a lil different story... Even a person taking their current phone and holding it up to the closer to real life pic I posted.... One could even zoom their web browser on their PC to match the size better for the pic I posted

I dont know about other ppl but I have a 23" 1080p monitor. Are these pics gonna even look the same for everyone with different monitors? Do we all have our monitors at the same resolution? Sooo sooo many variables to say what person A sees is what we all see or should see.

Last edited:

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has lost their minds! Who in the world puts a Pentile display on a phone in 2013?

They shot themselves in the foot here.

How can I say this politely?
Nope I cant. You are a anally retentive ********* if the subpixels on a 1080 screen offend you. Read any reviews on the screen yet?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Why do the Amoled screens have a green background? Like the battery icon in the pics I posted green and green backgrounds made the Pentile effect more noticeable for text for some reason. Is that background on purpose or does it look like that because its Amoled?
It's PenTile AMOLED doesn't use a uniform sub-pixel arrangement. It causes inconsistencies in the image displayed:

10534151564913879.jpg

x2QNriu.jpg

The PenTile clarity inferiority is not an opinion. It is a fact. There is no debate.

From now on, I'm just going to start quoting myself. This thread has started going in circles. I've already presented the facts, I can't force you fanboys to accept them.
One picture should easily settle the 'clarity' debate:

http://i.imgur.com/BXUR7hI.jpg

Last edited:

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's PenTile AMOLED doesn't use a uniform sub-pixel arrangement. It causes inconsistencies in the image displayed:

http://imageshack.us/a/img213/1614/10534151564913879.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/x2QNriu.jpg

The PenTile clarity inferiority is not an opinion. It is a fact. There is no debate.

From now on, I'm just going to start quoting myself. This thread has started going in circles. I've already presented the facts, I can't force you fanboys to accept them.

Haha... Trolling people, calling them fanboys. Trite.

Btw here is the excert to go with that picture of yours...

As you know, basically every display which has a pixel density of more than 300 ppi is very sharp, but hey, these 400+ ppi monsters we have today are really pushing the boundaries to the extreme. There's so much resolution that you can't even tell that the Galaxy S4 has a PenTile matrix pixel arrangement. You can examine the pixel arrangement of each display in the super-close-up images with the word ?Classic."

I played with the S4 not 4 hours ago, then with the HTC One, then with them side by side.

I then played the Lion King Trailer in HD on both....

Verdict: The S4 screen actually looked better! The colors popped more, and seems cleaner.

Let me know how using your phone smashed against your face all day works for you. Cant imagine you are very productive day to day.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Haha... Trolling people, calling them fanboys. Trite.

Btw here is the excert to go with that picture of yours...

I played with the S4 not 4 hours ago, then with the HTC One, then with them side by side.

I then played the Lion King Trailer in HD on both....

Verdict: The S4 screen actually looked better! The colors popped more, and seems cleaner.

Let me know how using your phone smashed against your face all day works for you. Cant imagine you are very productive day to day.
Just remember....people like you diligently defended the S3 screen as well.
Opinion aside, SLCD clarity is superior.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

You CAN see the difference. The problem with pentile manifests itself in text heavy settings,and in situations with gradients. A pentile screen, no matter the resolution, will never be as clear or sharp as a screen with an RGB stripe.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Just remember....people like you diligently defended the S3 screen as well.

That dude is a complete fanboy. I would say he is a borderline troll. he is also the guy who claims there are 100 S3's at his office, and NONE have issues with weak signals..... So yeah, take what he says and compare it to a flaming bag of dog crap.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Somebody can't think for himself. Sure, at a very small scale, the diamond matrix will produce a jagged edge in a horizontal or verticle line. But the evenly striped lcd will produce a jagged edge in a 45-degree line. Anti-aliasing algorithms can reduce the harshness of these jaggies by tricking our eyes, but at such pixel densities as we're now seeing it isn't even worth implementing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.