Why so much hate?

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Almost every article about the Galaxy S4 I go to, there seems to be a mob of people attacking the phone and praising the HTC One or Xperia Z. Anyone who posts something positive is bombarded with ridicule. My question is: why so much hate? After all, aren't we are all fans of Android?

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Almost every article about the Galaxy S4 I go to, there seems to be a mob of people attacking the phone and praising the HTC One or Xperia Z. Anyone who posts something positive is bombarded with ridicule. My question is: why so much hate? After all, aren't we are all fans of Android?

It's very simple. HTC and Sony's new offerings are gorgeous phones. Both Samsung diehards as well as some fence sitters hoping for more equal range of choices this year were really hoping that Samsung would abandon their current design for something to outplay the others and they didn't, and now there's backlash. In short, they basically "pulled an Apple" without having the iPhone's less fickle fanbase.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's every OEM's goal to get you to buy their device AND have your next device to be from them as well. The lines are being drawn.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
All you have to do is look at the htc one and people will assume its better than the s4. The outside always gives the first impression. The s4 is ugly personally as it is plagued with these weird dots. Also, creating little gimmicks is not innovating. The s4 will be a hit no doubt, but build quality is becoming more important these days as specs begin to max out.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The hate for Samsung is so strong people would trade their precious SD cards and removable batteries for the One. Funny I was led to believe that those things plus locked bootloaders were supposed to be the reason HTC was failing. Seriously anything Samsung would've done would be called gimmicky or ripping off of the Note series.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The hate for Samsung is so strong people would trade their precious SD cards and removable batteries for the One. Funny I was led to believe that those things plus locked bootloaders were supposed to be the reason HTC was failing. Seriously anything Samsung would've done would be called gimmicky or ripping off of the Note series.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

The hate for Samsung is all talk.

Samsung will still outsell everyone.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Until another OEM comes along with a bigger marketing campaign on its flagship device it will be hard to shut down Samsung. Even if Samsung's new S4 isn't everyone's cup of tea it will still sell big and its due to the massive amount dropped into advertising the heck out of it. Its a smart move, the average non techy forum consumers look at these commercials, ads in magazines, online and word of mouth about the Samsung Galaxy line and they assume it has to be the best when they don't hear nearly as much from HTC, LG and others...

Last edited:

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not hate it's disappointment. The screen is pentile like the S3's. It's grainy, ect. It's not like the awesome RGB screen on the Note 2.

That's my only real issue with the S4 and the reason I wouldn't buy one. The style is fine but what's the thing you look at when using you're phone... The display and the fact that they went pentile really sucks. I'm just happy I didn't wait and got a Note 2.

That's something allot of people are doing now that they know the true specs of the S4. Why get an S4 when you can get the Note 2. Yeah the screen on the S4 is 1080p but it's pentile.

The fact that 441ppi isn't even needed on a 5" device and the fact that the Note 2's screen is better looking and bigger then the S4's screen is what drives me nuts.

I'm sure that's what is causing all the Hate. Because people waiting for the S4 are now just going to buy the Note 2. I'm sure some people will be talked into buying the S4 due to sales reps and commission along with all the marketing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Samsung is the new apple.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

No, HTC is trying to be the Apple of the Android world. Every flaw the Apple phones have, HTC copies. Locked battery. No SD card slot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying its a bad phone, its just not a big improvement. Also, most of the new features are coming to the s3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

The Galaxy S3 isn't a bad phone either.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Not all of the features are coming to the S3, as some of them rely on new sensors and other possible new additions to the phones chipset. I would say most of the features that are software based will see it, yes.

As for the look of the phone, Samsung knows what it is doing. They introduced the S3 with a different look from the S2. The S4 is as close to the S3 as they want it to be, but with a slightly larger screen. They are building their line with brand recognition. Apple does this by not changing the iphone drastically for years on end.

They want people to see the design and know if it is a Samsung Galaxy device. This is the reason why the Note phones and tablet as well as the tab line of tablets are all starting to look alike. It is a growing ecosystem. No one will be able to say "Is that an iphone or a galaxy S4?".

As for the colors, people complained about having black phones for so long, now that they come in colors, people are like "oh my gosh, where is my black phone that we used to have". I just wish they would bring the red versions out first sometimes or at least make them available at launch instead of waiting for christmas or valentine's day.

The screen is another gripe a lot of people have complained about. Frankly, a pentile screen at 441 ppi seems like a reasonably good screen. I am not going to break out my microscope to count jaggies on the screen instead of enjoying what is in front of me. Take HTC's washed out LCD screen that strains to show deeper black color or brighter colors. And also, as screens get bigger, the amoint of ppi does matter, even for pentile screens as it helps to make the resolution denser to the naked eye. Technically, to coin a Apple word, retina.

Will this screen see the Note 3, probably not. Unless Wacom can make their digitizers qork on 1080p screens. They work best in the 720p range.

But people are still going to hate because there is no Apple on the back, or HTC logo, or Moto insignia, etc.

Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for my next. Decisions, decisions.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No, HTC is trying to be the Apple of the Android world. Every flaw the Apple phones have, HTC copies. Locked battery. No SD card slot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I think moto phones have locked batteries.. . Nexus 4 the same exact way. It's better that way. My opinion.

but that not what I meant. Just everyone hated apple just because. Now people are feeling that way about Samsung. Same boring plastic design... And if some features come to the note 2 and s3. What is the point of upgrading when you will eventually get it?.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I was hating on the S4 before it was released but I actually kind of dig it. I like how they fit the bigger screen in basically the same size package as the S3. I still won't get it due to touchwiz. It's really a deal breaker for me and I can't stand having 3rd party launchers or roms. I'm still on the fence about the One. I love the look of it but have never liked sense either. Might just have to wait for the N5.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... Poor and outdated design, plastic, wtf pen tile, touch wiz still blows, exynos chip hard to develop for. Should I keep going?