Why so much hate?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Who buys a smartphone just for the display and the case build materials? Only those that are fans of those brands and value style over performance. The improvements to the internal hardware, user interface, the camera and JB 4.2.2 gives the GS4 the edge in the user experience which is really what counts. It is really impressive how a 5 inch HD display was fit in the same space as its predecessor. Complaints of the GS3 were non HD display and the battery life wasn't great; both aspects were improved. Some will never see the big picture and some will never be happy.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Almost every article about the Galaxy S4 I go to, there seems to be a mob of people attacking the phone and praising the HTC One or Xperia Z. Anyone who posts something positive is bombarded with ridicule. My question is: why so much hate? After all, aren't we are all fans of Android?

Imho....when you get on top, like Apple did, naturally the cultish hatred will ensue. Maybe the force of hate will get so strong that HTC will naturally take number one. Then the minions can gather their clans and the force of hate can shift to HTC.

Joking aside, the expectations for samsung are far greater than HTC. That is what happens when everyone expects Samsung to keep blowing the doors off the competition.

The iphone 5 was a joke of an update. Ar least Samsung made more progress in that dept.

I hate you with a passion you dirty rotten samsung, ewww. I need a shower.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think people have unrealistic expectations for one thing. Not just for this phone but for others. Technology only advances so far and this is arguably the most feature packed device in terms of hardware and software you can buy today.
However the HTC One has shown a premium build that is close to or equivalent to the iPhone 5 for the first time in an Android device and Samsung has gone with the same plasticky build and look. I think that's part of it.
FYI people who say the iPhone 5 is the same as the 4 and 4s simply don't know what they are talking about.

Almost every article about the Galaxy S4 I go to, there seems to be a mob of people attacking the phone and praising the HTC One or Xperia Z. Anyone who posts something positive is bombarded with ridicule. My question is: why so much hate? After all, aren't we are all fans of Android?

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone? The display is the device for all intents and purposes. People like the feel of quality materials not cheap plasticky devices with flimsy poorly fitting buttons. Makes sense.
Would you want a car that is cheap and plasticky or one that is well made?
Agree that fitting the 5 inch display into the existing chassis is nice.

Who buys a smartphone just for the display and the case build materials? Only those that are fans of those brands and value style over performance. The improvements to the internal hardware, user interface, the camera and JB 4.2.2 gives the GS4 the edge in the user experience which is really what counts. It is really impressive how a 5 inch HD display was fit in the same space as its predecessor. Complaints of the GS3 were non HD display and the battery life wasn't great; both aspects were improved. Some will never see the big picture and some will never be happy.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

People that have questionable priorities.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Samsung has become the Apple of Android manufacturers. So they now get the scrutiny and fans of other devices are getting tired of Samsung fans because they are becoming like Apple fans by thinking everything Samsung does is gold and everything else sucks. What goes around, comes around. And even we're all using the same platform it's still a rivalry because Samsung's success doesn't help HTC or any other company making Android devices.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has become the Apple of Android manufacturers. So they now get the scrutiny and fans of other devices are getting tired of Samsung fans because they are becoming like Apple fans by thinking everything Samsung does is gold and everything else sucks. What goes around, comes around. And even we're all using the same platform it's still a rivalry because Samsung's success doesn't help HTC or any other company making Android devices.

To be fair HTC fans act like everything Samsung makes sucks.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
People are inherently insecure; having a different opinion frightens some (scary that this phenomenon includes cell phones).
Who cares what others think, buy what you like and use it.
As far as the S4, meh, looks like the S2, S3 and Note2. Great features and software, just wish they would have updated the form factor and build quality.
I'm sure it's a great phone.
Lastly, I certainly hope they addressed the intermittent GPS issues like they have on the Verizon S3.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No, HTC is trying to be the Apple of the Android world. Every flaw the Apple phones have, HTC copies. Locked battery. No SD card slot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Not sure something intended by design is a "flaw". Also one could argue again that Samsung is trying to be the new Apple.... you know, incremental upgrades from year to year but no real leaps and bounds over last year. A person can spin things anyway they want. And it's silly.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure something intended by design is a "flaw". Also one could argue again that Samsung is trying to be the new Apple.... you know, incremental upgrades from year to year but no real leaps and bounds over last year. A person can spin things anyway they want. And it's silly.
Not really. Have you ever seen Apple put in so many features at once? And I mean ones that are noticeable or even talked about. At most they put in one feature that is 2 years behind and only so people will but their next model. Or something they took from someone else and improved on but then claim they invented it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
To be fair HTC fans act like everything Samsung makes sucks.

I agree. But again, that's the backlash that Samsung gets now. Just like Android fans would bash any and everything Apple even if they never used one. HTC fans are doing it to Samsung and they use build quality and their argument. So I agree, but it's the same story, just a different fan base toward another company. And it's just more deliberate and outspoken than it ever was because 2 years ago HTC and Samsung were on an even play field so HTC fans didn't have to be as aggressive. Now that Samsung has surpassed them in every way they are now more vocal about their displeasure.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree. But again, that's the backlash that Samsung gets now. Just like Android fans would bash any and everything Apple even if they never used one. HTC fans are doing it to Samsung and they use build quality and their argument. So I agree, but it's the same story, just a different fan base toward another company. And it's just more deliberate and outspoken than it ever was because 2 years ago HTC and Samsung were on an even play field so HTC fans didn't have to be as aggressive. Now that Samsung has surpassed them in every way they are now more vocal about their displeasure.

I disagree about the first part, plenty of Android fans don't bash apple every chance they get. They just don't talk about it obviously so you don't hear them as much.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It is hard to have breakthrough devices every year. Some will be incremental improvements. If you want the HTC One or the Experia 7 get them. I am happy for the new stuff which raises the bar. I am a Samsung fan. I might not get the S4 but that does not mean I do not like or respect Samsung just because the S4 is an incremental improvement.

My Note 2 is the best device on the market period IMO, so I can wait for the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
At the event, was that the finished product? Sometimes they will have a good enough version to show but not the 100% working phone.. if it's the finished product... why the lag?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It is hard to have breakthrough devices every year. Some will be incremental improvements. If you want the HTC One or the Experia 7 get them. I am happy for the new stuff which raises the bar. I am a Samsung fan. I might not get the S4 but that does not mean I like or respect Samsung just because the S4 is an incremental improvement.

My Note 2 is the best device on the market period IMO, so I can wait for the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Just thought I'd point out, I think you mean "doesn't mean I don't like or respect Samsung" unless you meant to say you don't like or respect them.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Not really. Have you ever seen Apple put in so many features at once? And I mean ones that are noticeable or even talked about. At most they put in one feature that is 2 years behind and only so people will but their next model. Or something they took from someone else and improved on but then claim they invented it.

Not sure what you are saying but my point to the other user was that something you call a flaw, isn't necessarily the case. It's just designed a specific way for a purpose that you may not like. Doesn't make it a "flaw".

And with regards to the latter part of your statement, when did I say Apple didn't do those things? I just said like Apple, Samsung is doing an incremental update to an already successful phone. I'm actually not mad at that, but it's the reality of the situation. And I don't really remember Apple claiming to be the inventor of much BUT innovation doesn't mean being the creator. Apple fans probably do. But innovation also means taking technology that is already existent and making it usable in a new and different way or advancing it. What most of these companies are doing isn't new....... they are just creative new ways to do it. So my point was not to praise Apple for doing anything but to point out that Samsung is pretty much following suit. Not by design but it's just seems to be the most logical step. And I actually don't have a problem with that.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I disagree about the first part, plenty of Android fans don't bash apple every chance they get. They just don't talk about it obviously so you don't hear them as much.

Never said ALL android fans bash Apple every chance they get. I'm talking about those apply and there is a hefty population of those users just like there a lot that like both iOS and Android and some that couldn't care less. But I never said ALL.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Never said ALL android fans bash Apple every chance they get. I'm talking about those apply and there is a hefty population of those users just like there a lot that like both iOS and Android and some that couldn't care less. But I never said ALL.

Fair enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34