Why so much hate?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
People have likened smartphone to cars a lot lately, so here's my attempt:

4 Vehicles: Lamborghini with top speed 230 mph under controlled conditions. Honda Civic with top speed 107 mph under controlled conditions. Hummer H3 with top speed 106 mph before it tips over. Yamaha moped, top speed 46 mph.

In a 25 mph school zone, assuming all 4 follow the speed limits, which one is faster? A better question, since they all go <= 25mph, is which one is more comfortable and easier to maneuver in order to drive safely?

End of analogy. Point is: We don't have software that uses 10% of what most of these devices can handle... the lag you see is the same lag cars see when shifting gears, which happens even at low speeds. Benchmarks would only matter if we were trying to top these things out in the salt flats. Since we're driving them on every day speeds, and of course all of us follow posted speed limits, the one that matches the features and design that you want is the best.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
But you will never be able to tell, so none of that matters. How many people do you know that use their phone exactly the same as you like in a lab test environment.

But with benchmarks you can get an idea of how potentially fast a phone can be speedwise compared to each other, never mind the daily use because the phone isnt really out yet
The S4 has been labeled the fastest phone in the world because it has the highest benchmark speeds compared to the One and other phones...that doesn't necessarily mean every S4 will be faster than every HTC One, but overall its a faster phone

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

4 Vehicles: Lamborghini with top speed 230 mph under controlled conditions. Honda Civic with top speed 107 mph under controlled conditions. Hummer H3 with top speed 106 mph before it tips over. Yamaha moped, top speed 46 mph.

In a 25 mph school zone, assuming all 4 follow the speed limits, which one is faster? A better question, since they all go <= 25mph, is which one is more comfortable and easier to maneuver in order to drive safely?

End of analogy. Point is: We don't have software that uses 10% of what most of these devices can handle... the lag you see is the same lag cars see when shifting gears, which happens even at low speeds. Benchmarks would only matter if we were trying to top these things out in the salt flats. Since we're driving them on every day speeds, and of course all of us follow posted speed limits, the one that matches the features and design that you want is the best.

The Lamborghini is the best.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
But with benchmarks you can get an idea of how potentially fast a phone can be speedwise compared to each other, never mind the daily use because the phone isnt really out yet
The S4 has been labeled the fastest phone in the world because it has the highest benchmark speeds compared to the One and other phones...that doesn't necessarily mean every S4 will be faster than every HTC One, but overall its a faster phone

I'll concede that it might be marginally useful to someone trying to choose a smartphone who doesn't know much about them and doesn't know the reality of how irrelevant those results are to actual use.

But then again, people like that wouldn't know about geekbench2 in the first place.

Hang on... I think I just ended up staying they're useless again outside of lab tests, didn't I? Yep, I think I did! :D

You won't even be able to tell the difference between how fast the s4 opens apps, scrolls, navigates through the UI etc and even one of last year's quad core phones like the LGOG, let alone this year's. None of the apps in Play Store utilize that much juice, nor do the OEM skins. The potential you mentioned won't even get realized in actual practice. You just got suckered in by spec-race marketing.

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll concede that it might be marginally useful to someone trying to choose a smartphone who doesn't know much about them and doesn't know the reality of how irrelevant those results are to actual use.

But then again, people like that wouldn't know about geekbench2 in the first place.

Hang on... I think I just ended up staying they're useless again outside of lab tests, didn't I? Yep, I think I did! :D

You won't even be able to tell the difference between how fast the s4 opens apps, scrolls, navigates through the UI etc and even one of last year's quad core phones like the LGOG, let alone this year's. None of the apps in Play Store utilize that much juice, nor do the OEM skins. The potential you mentioned won't even get realized in actual practice. You just got suckered in by spec-race marketing.

Lol well I can admit that in actual practice it wont be noticeable because both are really fast...both are really good phones and the difference will not be noticeable to the human eye when doing basic things.

When it comes as a choice between the two (or anything for that matter), I will always choose the one with the better specs, even if it is a minor difference. You never know when u play a game and that little extra speed will come in handy

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Lol well I can admit that in actual practice it wont be noticeable because both are really fast...both are really good phones and the difference will not be noticeable to the human eye when doing basic things.

When it comes as a choice between the two (or anything for that matter), I will always choose the one with the better specs, even if it is a minor difference. You never know when u play a game and that little extra speed will come in handy

That's something I can agree with. I've noticed that console games are beginning to push the upper limit of current ps3 and Xbox hardware lately. It's only a matter of time for it to happen on Android too which is why I'm holding on a wee bit longer for this year's nexus 7 or whatever they end up calling it.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The s3 and s4 don't have the same chipset. Thats like saying my Nexus and my vivid had the same chipset because they are both Qualcomm snapdragon chipsets. At least if we're talking us, the galaxy s3 had a snapdragon s4 dual core, the new one has a snapdragon 600 quad with the much better gpu, and better power management. That being said other than that power management, I don't think anyone will notice a difference. Android is tapped out for now, and no game really pushes hardware limits right now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

That's a good analogy. But I don't plan to "drive" my phone in a 25mph zone all the time. If I did, my GS2 would be good enough and I wouldn't want a new phone ever. After all ot handles any typical, average task just fine. But sometimes I'm not doing typical, average tasks. Sometimes I'm scrolling and zooming around in a 3 gig pdf file, or doing the same with a 3D cad file, etc.

I don't think it's right to suggest that the extra speed is worthless as a blanket statement.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Right, but the part you're not getting is that it's faster : on BENCHMARKS. That's not the same thing as saying it's faster in actual daily use, which you won't be able to tell with the naked eye.

Do me a favor, guys. Go get an app called System Panel. Check clock rates. Then tell me how often your CPU is actually RUNNING at max clock rate, which is what is being thrown around willy-nilly here. Clock rates are like horsepower ratings on cars. They tell you balls to the wall specs. My Mazda has 170HP. Know what it's using at 70mph on the freeway? 15. So, even if it had some 12 cylinder 750HP motor in it, in daily use it would make absolutely no difference. I'd still be using 15HP to go 70 on the freeway.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've never really understood the point of these types of threads. Who cares what somebody else prefers! I have friends with iphones and they love them. I have friends with HTC phones and they love them. I love my S3. The only time it really mattered was when I met "her". I liked hers and she liked mine so we decided to get married and now we share them with each other, and you can take that anyway you like!

Peoples overwhelming sense of need to be right, or change someone else's mind who does not agree.... Ultimately, people just want to feel justified in how they think, but are not willing to concede to other people viewpoints, which is not a problem, but then feel they need to change opposing views to again justify their position.

addyco

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung would appear 2 b the new Apple so it stands 2 reason they are 2 be knocked down. Samsung have put together good hardware packages. When r Apple going 2 get their act together? Never as far as I am concerned. Not interested in the "fad bandwagon". Hardware rules every time.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The funny thing is this isn't the first time I've seen mobile devices being compared using cars on this forum.

We're guys. Everything is like a car. A girlfriend starts out fast like a Lamborghini. Once they become your wife, they often end up wanting to be minivans. wtf?

Good restaurant -- Ferrari. Fast food joint -- frickin' Pinto. Except maybe In-&-Out Burger ... has a Rolls Royce's reputation amongst its fans, but it still tastes like a greasy but delicious Audi to me.

This web site -- definitely a BMW. Other Android sites -- some are Beemers; others are Hondas. A few smaller sites are definitely Fiats.

My HTC Rezound -- an older, unappreciated Benz. The hot new phones -- can't afford 'em (at full retail price), yet. So, I stick with the old Benz.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung would appear 2 b the new Apple so it stands 2 reason they are 2 be knocked down. Samsung have put together good hardware packages. When r Apple going 2 get their act together? Never as far as I am concerned. Not interested in the "fad bandwagon". Hardware rules every time.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Ummm NO!! Samsung doesn't try to control what you put in your device.....period!! You can do whatever the $%^& you want with a Samsung device.....heck ANY Android device! Go have fun in that walled garden!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
We're guys. Everything is like a car. A girlfriend starts out fast like a Lamborghini. Once they become your wife, they often end up wanting to be minivans. wtf?

Good restaurant -- Ferrari. Fast food joint -- frickin' Pinto. Except maybe In-&-Out Burger ... has a Rolls Royce's reputation amongst its fans, but it still tastes like a greasy but delicious Audi to me.

This web site -- definitely a BMW. Other Android sites -- some are Beemers; others are Hondas. A few smaller sites are definitely Fiats.

My HTC Rezound -- an older, unappreciated Benz. The hot new phones -- can't afford 'em (at full retail price), yet. So, I stick with the old Benz.
Nothing wrong with Fiats, just funny when people take them on the highway. Replace that with Ford.