Let's Talk about the Galaxy S4. exciting? buy it or pass it

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
GS4LT.png

My thoughts on the Galaxy S4. will you be picking this up? or will your GS3 or Note II hold you down another year?

Spec
Processor: 1.6GHz Octa-core Exynos processor / 1.9GHz Quad-core Qualcomm processor (different by market)
Memory: 2GB
Display: 5 inch Full HD Super AMOLED
Resolution: 1,920 x 1,080
Glass: Gorilla Glass 3
Pixel Density: 441 ppi
Storage: 16 / 32 / 64 GB User memory + microSD slot (up to 64GB)
Battery: 2,600mAh
Primary Camera: 13mp
Secondary Camera: 2mp
Cellular: GSM/EDGE/UMTS/DC-HSPA+/LTE Cat 3 (different by market)
WiFi: WiFi 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n, HT80
Bluetooth: 4.0 LE
Connectivity: NFC / MHL 2.0 / IR LED

Lymie

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I think that this year's android lineup isn't going to have a clear "winner".
Between the Xperia Z, HTC One and the S4, their specs are not too far from each other and it's just a question of brand loyalty in the end.
Do I think the S4 will do well this year? Definitely.
Is it an exciting new phone? Not really- the galaxy phones have always been really good and sturdy phones- design-wise, however- they all "look the same".
Would I buy one?
No, I already ordered the Xperia Z.

atomic_squid

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Pass. No quality build, no buy. I personally couldn't care less about removable battery or SD card, I've never needed them. I also hate TouchWiz. Really, I see HTC being more daring with the One, which is totally different from its predecessors, and Samsung's offering which looks like a bigger S3. Good luck to those many who pull the trigger, but it's not for me.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I think they have done all they can to be fair. Better camera, faster processor and more ram. A few new features from Samsung. Compared to apple you get everything on android so it's hard to give you more. Its up to Google now to give us a better android update from jellybean. I think if you want to keep replaceable batteries and micro sd cards then the phone will be plastic so you can get the back off.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't get over the fact that it looks like a big s3.....
And the s3 looked like a big s2......

It just, to me gets boring. I'd rather save my money and get a now cheaper s3 and because I don't feel the s4 is head and shoulders above it, or the rest of the pack (one, z, DNA) etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

swartzz

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The S3 and 4 reminds me of the iphone 4 to the 4S. Minor changes. Not much changed.. I wasn't impressed, I was hoping for a different design, maybe something sturdier... Either way, I'll pass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Pass

I don't mind the build quality 'issues' - I was quite happy with the s3 and that was more plastic than the s4 will be... But other than the air view nothing mentioned has me interested, and even that doesn't get me excited. The octa core processor is out spec'd by the competing flagships, since it's actually two quad cores that are chosen at run time based on load, for battery life not performance.

The software improvements are getting pushed out to the s3 where tech allows so the "that's quite cool I guess" dual camera facilities will be available on the s3.

The design is like the s3, I'd have preferred something you could look at and instantly say "it's an s4".

All in all it feels like a galaxy s3.5 - so not this year.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
BUY. The only thing that would change that would be if in the store, it doesn't make the grade after actually driving it for a while. I am not dismissing it sight unseen.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

atrix2noob

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The reason it seems like a s3.5 is because with the note 2's size they honestly didn't have much to work with and needed to keep the 2 separated size wise, the hot size for flagships is 4.8-5' right now

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Pass. The galaxy S3s, oh pardon me, the S4 could've used a face lift and a better build. I'll stick with my note 2.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Buy it. It's upgrade time and I need a new phone after almost two years. It's either the S4, the One, or the Xperia. They all have their pluses and minuses. While I might be able to live without a removable battery, I need an SD card/expandable storage that supports 64GB. That rules out all but the S4. If it weren't for that, there's a possibility I'd go for the One, which looks gorgeous. But utility always wins in the end for me as far as technology goes. I already married gorgeous.

TRSpeed3

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
PASS, first thing I thought when I read the specs was Galaxy SIII s. (Like so many others) Honestly not a fan of touchwiz, and I'm sure the purchase price will be close to 600 without a contract. No thanks, I like having no contract and vanilla android to much. I'll stick to my N4!

If I was in the position to upgrade and was fine with a contract, I would probably go with the GS4.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna have to pass. I will keep the S3 for now and get a nexus device this year I think. I hate the hone button. Sadly it's a deal breaker for me.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy SIII

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I had been waiting for this phone since I sold my s3 but I think I will pass. I know it has new features but it feels too much like buying the same phone again. I'll wait for something else to tickle my fancy

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Looks like a larger S3 or a smaller Note 2. Great specs, but that's to be expected with every NEW high end device and several will be released this each year. I think HTC did better with the One. It looks sharp and is quite a change from their past devices. However, I think hype and media will keep the S4 at the top.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought the DNA to use until the S4 came out, but I'm going to save my money and stick with my DNA until something that Wow's me comes along.

Sent from my DNA

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The S3 and 4 reminds me of the iphone 4 to the 4S. Minor changes. Not much changed.. I wasn't impressed, I was hoping for a different design, maybe something sturdier... Either way, I'll pass.

I wouldnt liken it to the iphone 4 and 4s. At least samsung increased the size and screen quality.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums