No one seems to be mentioning this. I know its still plastic, but its not the same material as on the S3 right? Aren't many case manufacturers making their cases out of this material? Now the S4 will have the nice metal edge plus this back and gorilla glass 3. I'd say that's nice and sturdy.

Any ideas of the advantages? Will this silence a lot of the people complaining about the plastic?
    03-15-2013 10:43 AM
    I highly doubt it's going to silence anyone complaining about the plastic. I know the Droid DNA is made of the same material, except the S4's battery cover is removable, which means if you drop it it'll more than likely come off. However, I'm just fine with that. It makes the phone cheaper in the long run. I'm very careful and very passionate when it comes to my phone, so I doubt I'll drop it too much. However, no phone I've ever had has been as sturdy as a Samsung. I think it'll be fine.
    03-15-2013 10:58 AM
    It is the same plastic that is on the S3. Yes, many manufacturers are using this on their phones but most of them are switching to more premium materials on their high end flagship phones. Samsung seems to be the one stuck in a plastic mold. Also, that nice metal edge that you reference is just metallic looking plastic, yes, more plastic.

I think that Samsung does make a sturdy phone even though it is plastic but I've been waiting for them to come up with more cutting edge form factor and materials and they seem to keep failing in both of those areas. I may or may not be buying the S4 because other high end phones have deal breakers for me. The HTC One has no SD slot and a non-removable battery. I've had an iPhone and it's just not the phone for me (not knocking quality here, just my preference in OS). I've also been looking at the Nokia Lumia 920 series but don't know if I really want to go back to a Windows phone. MS has done a nice job along with Nokia on their high end phones but it still seems like they are a step or two back from Android and IOS. Maybe in a year or two they will be caught up.

The things I like about the S4 are the screen size, the SD slot, the removable battery and the screen quality. I'll have to look at it, hands on, before I decided what I'm going to end up doing.
    AlphaVictor87 likes this.
    03-15-2013 11:01 AM
    It is the same plastic that is on the S3. Yes, many manufacturers are using this on their phones but most of them are switching to more premium materials on their high end flagship phones. Samsung seems to be the one stuck in a plastic mold. Also, that nice metal edge that you reference is just metallic looking plastic, yes, more plastic.

I think that Samsung does make a sturdy phone even though it is plastic but I've been waiting for them to come up with more cutting edge form factor and materials and they seem to keep failing in both of those areas. I may or may not be buying the S4 because other high end phones have deal breakers for me. The HTC One has no SD slot and a non-removable battery. I've had an iPhone and it's just not the phone for me (not knocking quality here, just my preference in OS). I've also been looking at the Nokia Lumia 920 series but don't know if I really want to go back to a Windows phone. MS has done a nice job along with Nokia on their high end phones but it still seems like they are a step or two back from Android and IOS. Maybe in a year or two they will be caught up.

The things I like about the S4 are the screen size, the SD slot, the removable battery and the screen quality. I'll have to look at it, hands on, before I decided what I'm going to end up doing.
    Nice points there. I agree with you. I was wanting Samsung to develop something with a more premium feeling, but I wasn't expecting them to. I'm not sure which phone I'll choose yet, but currently I'm leaning toward the S4. The One does look pretty nice though (unless when it comes to Verizon they make horrible changes to it lol).
    03-15-2013 11:06 AM