06-21-2013 08:56 PM
341 12345 ...
tools
    . It doesn't appear many of them, if any honestly, will be useful day to day. They're mostly marketing gimmicks. And there are so many that combined with the already chaotic looking Touchwiz just make a confusing, cluttered experience.

Having the same form factor, build materials and look as last year's phone is not design ingenuity no matter how you slice it. Components and technology naturally improve from year to year, so putting better internals in the same form factor isn't a tall task compared to actually innovating and providing a newer, better form.
    You might not see daily usefulness, doesn't mean millions of people won't. Same goes for your view of touchwiz. It's clearly user friendly enough to have 50+ million regular (read: not techy) people using it daily.

Bigger and better hardware, same popular size. That is absolutely design improvement. You don't have to change your construction totally every year. While a lot of us prefer different materials, again, Samsung took better goods and kept them in a form factor they knew to be popular. That's is a improvement AND holds to their brand image.
    03-16-2013 12:29 PM
    Personally don't care for MicroSD.
    Ha ha ha. I appreciate everyone's opinion but this made me laugh. "I hate having the option to expand my storage". I just don't get it. What's the downside? Is it not entirely upside just to have the slot? If you don't need it, fine. If you do its there.
    20blks likes this.
    03-16-2013 12:35 PM
    Ha ha ha. I appreciate everyone's opinion but this made me laugh. "I hate having the option to expand my storage". I just don't get it. What's the downside? Is it not entirely upside just to have the slot? If you don't need it, fine. If you do its there.
    Why have useless parts, when the resources and $ can be better used elsewhere?
    03-16-2013 12:40 PM
    not as small as it used to be.
    Still a minute fraction of overall users. I'm sure it's growing as you say, but very rarely do I talk to people who knows what a ROM is. Countless times I have to help people learn to check voicemail, download an app, or change their font.

It's still obvious that the vast majority will not remove TW on the S4. No sane, informed person would argue otherwise.
    03-16-2013 12:43 PM
    Why have useless parts, when the resources and $ can be better used elsewhere?
    Kinda like using gimmicky aluminum to build a device.
    03-16-2013 12:44 PM
    Kinda like using gimmicky aluminum to build a device.
    If you wanna play that game, every feature will be "gimmicky." Realistically, MicroSD is not an important option for most of the phone buying population. It's a resource that can be replaced with internal storage for most people. The OS itself is built with not having it being the preferred choice.

I get that that may not be your preference, but companies build for the masses, not the small groups dead set on one or two particular needs.
    03-16-2013 12:48 PM
    Psst...make sure you do not look at the Nexus 4 sales numbers. No SD card slot or removable battery. They could not keep the thing in stock for MONTHS. I could still probably sell it for more than I paid even after 2.5 months. Can't do that with many phones.
    They could not keep it in stock because they did not build enough, and the price is cheap.

You can sell it for double the price because again there is not enough stock, and the phone is not available worldwide.
    The Hustleman likes this.
    03-16-2013 12:53 PM
    You might not see daily usefulness, doesn't mean millions of people won't. Same goes for your view of touchwiz. It's clearly user friendly enough to have 50+ million regular (read: not techy) people using it daily.

Bigger and better hardware, same popular size. That is absolutely design improvement. You don't have to change your construction totally every year. While a lot of us prefer different materials, again, Samsung took better goods and kept them in a form factor they knew to be popular. That's is a improvement AND holds to their brand image.
    We're not average consumers; we're geeks on an Android forum discussing the merits of these new "features". Who cares if the public will eat it up? Nobody is doubting that. But that's not a legitimate way to dismiss criticisms of their actual usefulness. And the public will also not get much out of these gimmicks. The functionality is just not there. Tilting to scroll? Subpar photo editing on your phone? Using multiple S4's as a sound system (lol)? S-Translate/Navigation (super lol)? Can you honestly tell me that these features will be highly useful or even work as advertised 100% or even most of the time? THIS is the reason there are 50+ million regular users:

Don't tell me for one second it's because the Samsung phone has a pedometer and accompanying health software.

And as for the design, it's absolutely lazy, especially when compared with the improvements HTC has made. It may still be fine, but it's not on the same level as its competitor.
    03-16-2013 01:12 PM
    There are absolutely downsides.
    03-16-2013 01:13 PM
    We're not average consumers; we're geeks on an Android forum discussing the merits of these new "features". Who cares if the public will eat it up? Nobody is doubting that. But that's not a legitimate way to dismiss criticisms of their actual usefulness. And the public will also not get much out of these gimmicks. The functionality is just not there. Tilting to scroll? Subpar photo editing on your phone? Using multiple S4's as a sound system (lol)? S-Translate/Navigation (super lol)? Can you honestly tell me that these features will be highly useful or even work as advertised 100% or even most of the time? THIS is the reason there are 50+ million regular users:

Don't tell me for one second it's because the Samsung phone has a pedometer and accompanying health software.

And as for the design, it's absolutely lazy, especially when compared with the improvements HTC has made. It may still be fine, but it's not on the same level as its competitor.
    Who cares about the design?

It's about function over form

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    bp3dots and Christopher Salse like this.
    03-16-2013 01:29 PM

Marketing may get people to buy a phone, but it won't get them to keep it, or to word of mouth advertise it to their friends and families.

You continue to assert what the general public will/will not use. The problem is, they don't generally look at things like us "geeks" do. Any you can't honestly say those features won't turn out to be useful or funcional, so there's no point to blast them before even getting to use them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the design issue, you seem to only think your version of improvement is an improvement.
    03-16-2013 02:18 PM
    Wow I'm really finding funny that people are mad about choice. Let's look at it this way I spend 199 for a gs4 16gig ( if its that price) buy a 64 gig card for what 70 bucks max and have over 70 gigs with of space. You buy an HTC one let's say the its 250 for the 64 gig model and you have 58 gigs Max of space. Now let's talk about the battery. You give me a 9.3mm device that goes to 4.7mn on the edge of the phone with a 2360 math battery. Or a 7.7ish km device with a 2600 math battery. But guess what I can remove my battery if it goes bad if I'm a power user I can buy a backup battery and easily swap batteries. Sorry but I would prefer the second option. I understand everyone has their personal preference but I prefer function over form . Shoot I'm happy Samsung was able to expend the screen pack in more tech and still make the device smaller. That is true innovation and that's what I would rather have. All the features may seems like gimmicks but it shows that Samsung is thinking of new thinks you can do with your phone and I will never fault them for it
    03-16-2013 02:28 PM
    Which is silly and pointless.

AOSP is ok, but why buy a feature rick phone only to strip it of the features?

If they'd fix AOSP to be able to add the features back great, but until then what's the point of buying a device with those abilities?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    I agree. I like the TW features of the phone.
    03-16-2013 02:28 PM

Hey, navigation is plenty useful. Unless you carry one of those gasoline station maps from the old days to take on trips, navigation works wonders. Also, the phone as surround sound is actually pretty cool.
    03-16-2013 02:32 PM
    -.2ghz is negligible... Any benefit remains to be seen. I'd take the Snapdragon 600 at 1.7 ghz (ala One) or 1.9 ghz over the Exynos Octa
    -Better camera? lol. No possible way to tell at this point in time.
    -Bigger display and microSD are fair
    -Is it really stock? Or are they just incorporating some Swiftkey features into the stock keyboard? Either way, gonna get Swiftkey 4 on any new phone I get asap.

The HTC One has a build quality within another stratosphere, most likely a much, much better screen, and most likely better speakers and mic. I'd take Sense 5 over Touchwiz any day of the week.

So according to me, you're factually wrong (SARCASM ALERT)
    Benchmark Tests

Swiftkey
    - The Galaxy S4 Keyboard is built with Swiftkey, so all the predictive texting will be as good as swiftkey

I will agree that the HTC One may have a better screen and also better speakers...and yes HTC Sense 5 is better than Touchwiz....but I can just use a launcher, I don't use touchwiz anyways
    03-16-2013 02:45 PM
    Who cares about the design?

It's about function over form

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Anybody who ever picks up the phone. It's pretty telling when you have something that's the same price but constructed of much higher-grade materials and with a much better quality. It's important and is something you notice everytime you pick up your device. Not saying the SIV is badly built (and again I haven't held one) but will most likely fall short of its competitors.

Marketing may get people to buy a phone, but it won't get them to keep it, or to word of mouth advertise it to their friends and families.

You continue to assert what the general public will/will not use. The problem is, they don't generally look at things like us "geeks" do. Any you can't honestly say those features won't turn out to be useful or funcional, so there's no point to blast them before even getting to use them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the design issue, you seem to only think your version of improvement is an improvement.
    Again I will assert that like everybody here, I haven't used the phone and will reserve final judgement until I do. However, you can't say with a straight face that "features" like All cast aren't gimmicky. When are you ever going to be in situation with 5 or 6 other SIV users, and not only want to but have the drive and time to set it up? And when would you ever need to? It's a completely worthless feature, and is extremely situational at best.

I'm not asserting what the general public will/will not use. But from what I've seen, it's hard to come up with any practical use for most all of the features they've demonstrated. It'd be difficult to get use out of them either as a tech geek like myself, or as a member of the general public (hell, even more so for them). Keeping with S-voice with the advent of Google Now is a completely ridiculous decision, given how bad it is. S-Translate is simply not ever going to be useful, and I highly doubt it'll work the level you'd need it to if you ever did use it. Not to mention signal being an issue with a cloud based service. Given Samsung's marketing budget, which is outrageous, as well as the focus of the recent SIV reveal, it's pretty obvious what they're shooting for. And that's completely off-putting, at least for me.

See above for further elaboration on design. It's lazy, no other way about it. Components and technology improve greatly over a year. Fitting the better components into the same space is nothing compared to actually focusing on making a new, ergonomic and well-built handset constructed from premium materials. I'm not saying the Galaxy SIV is badly designed. But I certainly would've liked to have seen more, and that's coming from somebody who is strongly considering the handset and looking forward to it.

Wow I'm really finding funny that people are mad about choice. Let's look at it this way I spend 199 for a gs4 16gig ( if its that price) buy a 64 gig card for what 70 bucks max and have over 70 gigs with of space. You buy an HTC one let's say the its 250 for the 64 gig model and you have 58 gigs Max of space. Now let's talk about the battery. You give me a 9.3mm device that goes to 4.7mn on the edge of the phone with a 2360 math battery. Or a 7.7ish km device with a 2600 math battery. But guess what I can remove my battery if it goes bad if I'm a power user I can buy a backup battery and easily swap batteries. Sorry but I would prefer the second option. I understand everyone has their personal preference but I prefer function over form . Shoot I'm happy Samsung was able to expend the screen pack in more tech and still make the device smaller. That is true innovation and that's what I would rather have. All the features may seems like gimmicks but it shows that Samsung is thinking of new thinks you can do with your phone and I will never fault them for it
    Make no mistake - I never bashed choice. It's the glory of being an Android user. If that's what's important to you, then go for it. Removable battery and MicroSD are complete nonfactors for me, so that makes my choice a little easier.

Hey, navigation is plenty useful. Unless you carry one of those gasoline station maps from the old days to take on trips, navigation works wonders. Also, the phone as surround sound is actually pretty cool.
    Navigation is absolutely a cornerstone of my smartphone usage. But I highly doubt the shoddy S-Voice can do it better than Google can.
    03-16-2013 02:54 PM
    So, I guess it won't be useful reading your GS4 review.
    Went right over your head, didn't it?
    03-16-2013 02:57 PM
    People care to much about phones now a days lol..

Each phone will be good. I have zero doubt the S4 will be great and the HTC One will be great as well.. Each will have features unique to it.. Because if it was the exact same then it wouldn't matter what phone you get.

So Sheesh. Guys chill.. You can't argue someone's opinion. That's like me trying to convince my one friend that Android is better than iPhone when he is a die hard Apple lover and his opinion will never be like mine... It's pointless. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    TomsAndroid and jeffrey10000 like this.
    03-16-2013 02:58 PM
    Lol @ people talking build quality

How do you know the build quality when it isn't released yet?

We only know the build material

TomsAndroid and TheOtherBill like this.
    03-16-2013 03:02 PM
    1. Licensing to Microsoft.
    2. Need to use a depreciated file system to be compatible with desktop computers.
    3. It's very insecure. In fact, it completely ignores the Android user/group/sandbox model, and gives everyone in the world access to the data stored there -- even via the web browser.
    4. It's not supported by Android, and so far not supported by Samsung. It's just there. Samsung needs to get it integrated into the system much better.
    5. They are slow, and prone to corrupt data.

I won't suggest that users don't need a lot of storage, but not from an SD card.
    craZDude likes this.
    03-16-2013 03:14 PM
    1. Licensing to Microsoft.
    2. Need to use a depreciated file system to be compatible with desktop computers.
    3. It's very insecure. In fact, it completely ignores the Android user/group/sandbox model, and gives everyone in the world access to the data stored there -- even via the web browser.
    4. It's not supported by Android, and so far not supported by Samsung. It's just there. Samsung needs to get it integrated into the system much better.
    5. They are slow, and prone to corrupt data.

I won't suggest that users don't need a lot of storage, but not from an SD card.
    All those points don't really show that its better without and SD Card....I think when you look at it overall, the option to have a MicroSD Card is much more valuable
    03-16-2013 03:29 PM
    All those points don't really show that its better without and SD Card....I think when you look at it overall, the option to have a MicroSD Card is much more valuable
    Someone asked what the downsides were to having an SD card. I listed a few of them.
    If these downsides make it "much more valuable" to you, that's your decision.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    03-16-2013 03:36 PM
    -.2ghz is negligible... Any benefit remains to be seen. I'd take the Snapdragon 600 at 1.7 ghz (ala One) or 1.9 ghz over the Exynos Octa
    -"Features"... Define that, will you? Almost none of those look to be actually useful or perform well in the real world
    -LED Notifier... what do you mean by that?
    -More "features"... see above
    -Bigger battery - Real world battery life remains to be seen. Between two different phones a difference of 300mah isn't enough to draw any reasonable conclusion from
    -Is it really stock? Or are they just incorporating some Swiftkey features into the stock keyboard? Either way, gonna get Swiftkey 4 on any new phone I get asap.

The HTC One has a build quality within another stratosphere, most likely a much, much better screen, and most likely better speakers and mic. I'd take Sense 5 over Touchwiz any day of the week.

Excuse me sir the s4 is pounding with a 13 mp camera far bettwer than what the one has to offer with a 4 mega pixels

- - - Updated - - -

-"Features"... Define that, will you? Almost none of those look to be actually useful or perform well in the real world
    -LED Notifier... what do you mean by that?
    -More "features"... see above
    -Bigger battery - Real world battery life remains to be seen. Between two different phones a difference of 300mah isn't enough to draw any reasonable conclusion from

Excuse me sir the s4 is pounding with a 13 mp camera far bettwer than what the one has to offer with a 4 mega pixels
    03-16-2013 05:31 PM
    Actually the one has a 4 ULTRAPIXEL camera which Jerry says ,"The camera on the HTC One simply blows the camera on the Galaxy S4 away."

Samsung Galaxy S 4 Vs HTC One - Quick Camera Comparison | TechnoBuffalo

- - - Updated - - -

03-16-2013 05:35 PM
    Regardless, I'm bored with the samsung galaxy... Going for the black HTC One wooot
    03-16-2013 05:45 PM
341 12345 ...