This is why I think the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: This is why the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

i beg to differ.

Let's take the GS3 sales figures and say that the GS4 sells the same amount of phones (which I think they will sell more). 1% of 40 million is 400,000. You think there will be more than 400,000 users that will not just put a custom ROM on there, but specifically AOSP? 400,000 AOSP installs on the GS4? I highly doubt it.

You have to keep in mind that users on Android Central make up a VERY tiny minority of the general public. Most people won't even use a third-party launcher, much less figure out how to root and install a custom ROM.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Let's take the GS3 sales figures and say that the GS4 sells the same amount of phones (which I think they will sell more). 1% of 40 million is 400,000. You think there will be more than 400,000 users that will not just put a custom ROM on there, but specifically AOSP. 400,000 AOSP installs on the GS4? I highly doubt it.

Every time this argument has come up at XDA, you can usually find a survey quoted from somewhere on the web that puts the number of modders out of total android smartphone owners worldwide at around 2%. Real life anecdotal analogies tend to support this. If you take any large community, for example a large workplace, you'll find that there will perhaps be about 1 or 2 of you into doing so. If I take my workplace of around 1000 people, there are about 6 of us that are "techie geeks". Out of those 6, I'm the only one who unlocks/roots his android and there's 2 other guys who jailbreak their iPhones. That's actually 10x less than commonly quoted numbers.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Yes but a phone camera is so much more convenient. Last week on spring break I took and uploaded over 100 shots of my family having fun etc to the cloud. My wife took her Canon 60D and I think she broke it out once.

No argument of the quality of pics but the phones take pretty good pics and life just gets in the way of lugging a slr around. And I have not even mentioned 1080p video...just my 2 cent s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
For me is the convenience of the phone that makes it better. I take a lot of pictures with my phone whenever I travel; for example, this weekend I went to Vegas and I took a lot of pictures with my phone. For me it is easier than carrying a camera.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

For me is the convenience of the phone that makes it better. I take a lot of pictures with my phone whenever I travel; for example, this weekend I went to Vegas and I took a lot of pictures with my phone. For me it is easier than carrying a camera.
Sure it's easier nobody's disputing that. But the quality between a phone camera and a DSLR is massive. I spent $10k on my trip to the Greek islands with my family last year and there's no way in he11 I would trust those memories to a point and click phone camera. Unlike you, my phone barely left my suitcase, but my DSLR was with me everywhere.

wbrianw8

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

S4 has a larger display so your theory is incorrect, but as long as the phone can make it through the whole day does it matter if one can last 30 minutes (that you don't even need because its on the charger anyway) than the other?

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Yes the op is correct on his opinion and those who feel the opposite are correct on their opinion. Next. These threads are getting ridiculous. I have a new phone so won't be getting either but got the one I like best, not because it was the most popular. That's why I've never been to imore.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Galaxy S4 Pro Points over the HTC One
- Faster Processor ***
- MicroSD Card slot ***
- Better Camera
- WAY Better camera features (More close to a digital camera)
- Bigger Display
- LED Notifier ***
- Creative features (Dual Shot, Multi Phone Speaker, Air Touch Preview)
- Bigger Battery
- SwiftKey used for Stock Keyboard

HTC One Pro Points over Galaxy S4
- Design
- Better front facing camera
- Better stock UI

OVERALL WINNER: Samsung Galaxy S4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am ;)

I wanna play this time, too.
  • Processor is the same. Same model number, same SKU. Samsung has clocked theirs .2 GHZ higher.
  • Google the phrase Samsung Galaxy S3 SDcard problems. It returns 9,600,000 hits. You get almost 400 hits right here at AC. SD cards suck, I'll never buy an Android phone with one now that I have a choice.
  • The camera on the HTC One simply blows the camera on the Galaxy S4 away.
  • Neither camera is remotely close in their feature set to a digital camera.
  • Even Samsung downplayed the size of the screen by calling it 4.99-inches.
  • HTC One has an LED
  • Buggy bloatware that I can't uninstall without root.
  • Gonna need that bigger battery with the higher clock CPU
  • If you don't like Swiftkey and the 28MB of space it uses, you're stuck with it anyway.

There are always two sides. People should stop caring about how many other people agree with them and buy whatever the hell they like.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

With my nexus 4 @16gb I'm not bothered by it any more I bought a WiFi hard drive 1tb for all my storage needs. Non removable battery plus plus just power button and volume button to hard reboot. I love the nexus4 just wished it had vzw lte. And like mentioned all that fancy bloat wear is crud. First thing I do is unlock if possible root and strip it clean. Since original droid days I've never run the manufacturer os bloat. And do remember when u do this u loose all those cool camera features.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Very debatable.

Apple hasn't had a "remuviblke battry and Sd C4rdz" for years and nobody gives a crap.

I give a crap and it's 2 of the reasons I will buy samsung long before I buy iphone or the bigger screened iphone aka htc. I need not mention unlocked boot loaders and freedom to set my phone up how I like it...oops I just did.

Another thing not pertaining to the quote, is what's the big deal with an aluminum unibody phone when 90% of high end smartphone users just put a case over it?

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

I give a crap and it's 2 of the reasons I will buy samsung long before I buy iphone or the bigger screened iphone aka htc. I need not mention unlocked boot loaders and freedom to set my phone up how I like it...oops I just did.

Another thing not pertaining to the quote, is what's the big deal with an aluminum unibody phone when 90% of high end smartphone users just put a case over it?

Well if SD Cards and removable batteries are your thing, then cool. It's your choice.

And people pay a lot of money for nicely built things. It's pretty telling when you have two phones that are the same price and one is constructed with premium materials and excellent quality, while the other is plastic. It really goes a long way. When Im holding a flagship, id really like to feel like it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

how about removable battery? I don't know if you can remove the battery from the HTC One because you could not for the HTC Evo. If that's the case, I prefer the s4 by a long shot.

I am able to remove my battery from my Evo

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Really, I just think we should wait for the One and the S4 to come out, then compare.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I don't, so I guess we're tied now for the anecdotal prize.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

And people pay a lot of money for nicely built things. It's pretty telling when you have two phones that are the same price and one is constructed with premium materials and excellent quality, while the other is plastic. It really goes a long way. When Im holding a flagship, id really like to feel like it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

This^

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I don't, so I guess we're tied now for the anecdotal prize.

I know, I just felt obligated to reply when you said "nobody gives a crap"...millions if not tens of millions of people would disagree with you...we need choice and not all follow the same iphone build model, samsung is giving us that choice and it should be praised rather than hated even if you don't like it.

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

I wanna play this time, too.
  • Processor is the same. Same model number, same SKU. Samsung has clocked theirs .2 GHZ higher.
  • Google the phrase Samsung Galaxy S3 SDcard problems. It returns 9,600,000 hits. You get almost 400 hits right here at AC. SD cards suck, I'll never buy an Android phone with one now that I have a choice.
  • The camera on the HTC One simply blows the camera on the Galaxy S4 away.
  • Neither camera is remotely close in their feature set to a digital camera.
  • Even Samsung downplayed the size of the screen by calling it 4.99-inches.
  • HTC One has an LED
  • Buggy bloatware that I can't uninstall without root.
  • Gonna need that bigger battery with the higher clock CPU
  • If you don't like Swiftkey and the 28MB of space it uses, you're stuck with it anyway.

There are always two sides. People should stop caring about how many other people agree with them and buy whatever the hell they like.

So, I guess it won't be useful reading your GS4 review.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I know, I just felt obligated to reply when you said "nobody gives a crap"...millions if not tens of millions of people would disagree with you...we need choice and not all follow the same iphone build model, samsung is giving us that choice and it should be praised rather than hated even if you don't like it.

I disagree that the majority of those people are buying based on sd

adiaz973

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Apple is the only company that can get away with not using an SD card slot or a non removable battery on the iPhone. They have the best cloud service and the iPhone has always had good battery life. Besides, people don't buy the iPhone because it may or may not have certain features. They buy the iPhone because of its complete ecosystem. HTC or Google have no reason to not offer SD cards or removable batteries on their devices. For years Android users bragged about how much better android was over ios because android oems made devices that allowed you to remove batteries and expand memory and now nobody cares about it anymore because Nexus phones don't offer them anymore? With that being said, many people still use sd cards and spare batteries and the GS4 is an all-around better phone than the HTC One but the One has a better design. That's the one and only category the The HTC ONE one-ups the GS4: build quality

Will Rosario

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

- Trust me if u used a MicroSD Card you would be much more satisfided than using phone storage....Could easily back up quickly incase you want to do a factory reset
- Camera Based on quality...The HTC One Screen may be better, but overall photos, when tranfered to a PC would be better with a GS4
- Creative features are actually useful...Dual Shot video chatting...instead of always switching back and forth between cameras...imagine if Skype used this..WIN!
- Bigger Battery supports better battery life, but it all depends on how the phone is used

I completely disagree on the SD card argument. Phone Storage is miles better than an sd card memory. I have a galaxy s3 right now with an sd card and when i load the Gallery, it takes a couple of seconds to load the pictures on the SD card. meanwhile the memory on the phone is faster and loads right away. Another thing is that you cannot install apps onto an SD card unless you root your phone which most people don't. On phone storage you can install and download anything on.

The Galaxy S4 camera is inferior to the ultrapixel of the HTC ONE. more megapixels DOES NOT equal better quality. check out a comparison made in technobuffalo website with the S4 and the HTC ONE, the HTC one comes on top.

And all of the extra features are just gimmicks, although i admit some are really cool like the scrolling without touching the screen and eye pause, in the end many people will rarely use those. Only if they want to show off to friends and never use them afterwards.

Bigger battery does not equal to a better battery life because samsung increased the screen to 5 inches plus all of those extra software features will make the battery life average. The HTC ONE has a smaller battery at 2300mah but the screen is smaller at 4.7 inches which will use less battery drain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane