This is why I think the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: This is why the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

Sure it's easier nobody's disputing that. But the quality between a phone camera and a DSLR is massive. I spent $10k on my trip to the Greek islands with my family last year and there's no way in he11 I would trust those memories to a point and click phone camera. Unlike you, my phone barely left my suitcase, but my DSLR was with me everywhere.

Yeah however, a smartphone camera is not meant to replace a DSLR but what it does do, is complement it.

DSLR owners, I am one of them, need both. A DSLR brings quality to photos but is bulky, may require lens changes, and can take longer to setup for a shot depending on, specific use. Quick impromptu shots/scenes can get missed if, you use a DSLR only. You will very rarely find me take a shot using "auto" with a DSLR (what's the point) so, imagine the time it takes to capture a moment. That is when the camera phone comes into play or a P&S.

Depending on how old your smart device is, the camera quality, certainly, can be more than adequate for most occasions. Bad shots can be taken with a DSLR as easily as with a smart device or P&S which is why, multiple shots should always be taken to get at that "perfect shot" regardless, of the type of camera used. Although, DSLR's in general, can be more "forgiven" when used by amateur photographers versus lower grade cameras (I'm not saying your an amateur by any means).

For me personally, I use a smartphone camera on most occasions, and as a compliment to my DSLR when, I bring it along for the trip.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm surprised no one mentioned HTC dual speaker bar at the front of the phone. not a huge plus but a + imo.
I think it's pretty cool and writings so far say it makes it the best sounding smartphone to date.
i have the nexus 4 and i really dont like the speaker on the back and sounds ok but not great.

glad to hear someone mention the camera and how it stacks up against the S4.

I thought some of the software features in the presentation was cool... definitely like it's 4.2.2... but that sw i feel can be copied eventually by apps. the other stuff really looks like bloatware to me and a gimmick to get people to focus and fall in love with those samsung features and off stock android for when they are ready to release tezin with all the samsung features and try to move people off android. i personally would like more of a stock jelly bean os... but I guess that's why I am rocking a Nexus 4 ;)

I want to see if the Google X will be real and if not the One is at the top of my list.

I wanna play this time, too.
  • Processor is the same. Same model number, same SKU. Samsung has clocked theirs .2 GHZ higher.
  • Google the phrase Samsung Galaxy S3 SDcard problems. It returns 9,600,000 hits. You get almost 400 hits right here at AC. SD cards suck, I'll never buy an Android phone with one now that I have a choice.
  • The camera on the HTC One simply blows the camera on the Galaxy S4 away.
  • Neither camera is remotely close in their feature set to a digital camera.
  • Even Samsung downplayed the size of the screen by calling it 4.99-inches.
  • HTC One has an LED
  • Buggy bloatware that I can't uninstall without root.
  • Gonna need that bigger battery with the higher clock CPU
  • If you don't like Swiftkey and the 28MB of space it uses, you're stuck with it anyway.

There are always two sides. People should stop caring about how many other people agree with them and buy whatever the hell they like.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I am able to remove my battery from my Evo

Sent from my Coconut Wireless
the new evo 4g lte? I'm not talking about the old school one, because I was able to do it on that phone, but I am speaking of the new one.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I disagree that the majority of those people are buying based on sd

I do not know what the percentage is but I know a lot do BUT, I think that number is coming down. Anecdotally of course, but I am one of them. Not till I bought my Nexus 4 have I even LOOKED at an android phone without removable battery and micro SD card. I still wish the Nexus 4 had a 32GB model. I would have not problem getting the One based on the specs it see. Does not mean I will get it over the S4 but at least I would look at it now.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Apple is the only company that can get away with not using an SD card slot or a non removable battery on the iPhone. They have the best cloud service and the iPhone has always had good battery life. Besides, people don't buy the iPhone because it may or may not have certain features. They buy the iPhone because of its complete ecosystem. HTC or Google have no reason to not offer SD cards or removable batteries on their devices. For years Android users bragged about how much better android was over ios because android oems made devices that allowed you to remove batteries and expand memory and now nobody cares about it anymore because Nexus phones don't offer them anymore? With that being said, many people still use sd cards and spare batteries and the GS4 is an all-around better phone than the HTC One but the One has a better design. That's the one and only category the The HTC ONE one-ups the GS4: build quality

Psst...make sure you do not look at the Nexus 4 sales numbers. No SD card slot or removable battery. They could not keep the thing in stock for MONTHS. I could still probably sell it for more than I paid even after 2.5 months. Can't do that with many phones.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I completely disagree on the SD card argument. Phone Storage is miles better than an sd card memory. I have a galaxy s3 right now with an sd card and when i load the Gallery, it takes a couple of seconds to load the pictures on the SD card. meanwhile the memory on the phone is faster and loads right away. Another thing is that you cannot install apps onto an SD card unless you root your phone which most people don't. On phone storage you can install and download anything on.

The Galaxy S4 camera is inferior to the ultrapixel of the HTC ONE. more megapixels DOES NOT equal better quality. check out a comparison made in technobuffalo website with the S4 and the HTC ONE, the HTC one comes on top.

And all of the extra features are just gimmicks, although i admit some are really cool like the scrolling without touching the screen and eye pause, in the end many people will rarely use those. Only if they want to show off to friends and never use them afterwards.

Bigger battery does not equal to a better battery life because samsung increased the screen to 5 inches plus all of those extra software features will make the battery life average. The HTC ONE has a smaller battery at 2300mah but the screen is smaller at 4.7 inches which will use less battery drain.

I agree that internal storage is the best and then SD card and then the cloud. The cloud, which many offer up when the phone has low storage (Nexus 4) is really slow even with a good connection on wifi. For me 32 GB of internal storage would be enough. Have it on my Nexus 7 and ipad and have have plenty of space for me.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

the funny thing is most of the power users will just put aosp on the phone anyways so you loose all of those gimmicks.

Which is silly and pointless.

AOSP is ok, but why buy a feature rick phone only to strip it of the features?

If they'd fix AOSP to be able to add the features back great, but until then what's the point of buying a device with those abilities?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

wilfreb

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

A phone with a bigger battery, a bigger and better screen, removable battery, micro sd card slot in a thinner, more light and with the same dimensions as the predecessor, for me that's really design engineering.

TouchWiz is the most feature-rich, user-friendly and up to date OS of them all [excluding stock Android of course]

it is a fully no compromise phone, with the GS4 you have ABSOLUTELY all the features you can have, and that's excellent overall design.

the GS4 will be my next phone for sure.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

If they'd fix AOSP to be able to add the features back great, but until then what's the point of buying a device with those abilities?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

I love AOSP. I wouldn't be so quick to suggest "feature rich" in the GS4's favor. People are too quick to mention the phone's features without considering their actual day to day usefulness. It doesn't appear many of them, if any honestly, will be useful day to day. They're mostly marketing gimmicks. And there are so many that combined with the already chaotic looking Touchwiz just make a confusing, cluttered experience. And the point of putting AOSP is to have a superior software experience (up to opinion) on your shiny new hardware.

A phone with a bigger battery, a bigger and better screen, removable battery, micro sd card slot in a thinner, more light and with the same dimensions as the predecessor, for me that's really design engineering.

TouchWiz is the most feature-rich, user-friendly and up to date OS of them all [excluding stock Android of course]

it is a fully no compromise phone, with the GS4 you have ABSOLUTELY all the features you can have, and that's excellent overall design.

the GS4 will be my next phone for sure.

Having the same form factor, build materials and look as last year's phone is not design ingenuity no matter how you slice it. Components and technology naturally improve from year to year, so putting better internals in the same form factor isn't a tall task compared to actually innovating and providing a newer, better form. When compared with the completely reinvented HTC One, it just falls flat. And as for Touchwiz, see above.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you Hustleman! That would be like renting a luxury hotel room and stripping off the luxury amenities after, lol!

P.S. - Was going to do a suped up car being stripped to stock analogy but didn't want the AOSP camp getting their panties twisted so I went with the latter, lol!

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

. It doesn't appear many of them, if any honestly, will be useful day to day. They're mostly marketing gimmicks. And there are so many that combined with the already chaotic looking Touchwiz just make a confusing, cluttered experience.

Having the same form factor, build materials and look as last year's phone is not design ingenuity no matter how you slice it. Components and technology naturally improve from year to year, so putting better internals in the same form factor isn't a tall task compared to actually innovating and providing a newer, better form.

You might not see daily usefulness, doesn't mean millions of people won't. Same goes for your view of touchwiz. It's clearly user friendly enough to have 50+ million regular (read: not techy) people using it daily.

Bigger and better hardware, same popular size. That is absolutely design improvement. You don't have to change your construction totally every year. While a lot of us prefer different materials, again, Samsung took better goods and kept them in a form factor they knew to be popular. That's is a improvement AND holds to their brand image.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Personally don't care for MicroSD.

Ha ha ha. I appreciate everyone's opinion but this made me laugh. "I hate having the option to expand my storage". I just don't get it. What's the downside? Is it not entirely upside just to have the slot? If you don't need it, fine. If you do its there.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Ha ha ha. I appreciate everyone's opinion but this made me laugh. "I hate having the option to expand my storage". I just don't get it. What's the downside? Is it not entirely upside just to have the slot? If you don't need it, fine. If you do its there.

Why have useless parts, when the resources and $ can be better used elsewhere?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

not as small as it used to be.

Still a minute fraction of overall users. I'm sure it's growing as you say, but very rarely do I talk to people who knows what a ROM is. Countless times I have to help people learn to check voicemail, download an app, or change their font.

It's still obvious that the vast majority will not remove TW on the S4. No sane, informed person would argue otherwise.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Kinda like using gimmicky aluminum to build a device.

If you wanna play that game, every feature will be "gimmicky." Realistically, MicroSD is not an important option for most of the phone buying population. It's a resource that can be replaced with internal storage for most people. The OS itself is built with not having it being the preferred choice.

I get that that may not be your preference, but companies build for the masses, not the small groups dead set on one or two particular needs.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Psst...make sure you do not look at the Nexus 4 sales numbers. No SD card slot or removable battery. They could not keep the thing in stock for MONTHS. I could still probably sell it for more than I paid even after 2.5 months. Can't do that with many phones.

They could not keep it in stock because they did not build enough, and the price is cheap.

You can sell it for double the price because again there is not enough stock, and the phone is not available worldwide.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

You might not see daily usefulness, doesn't mean millions of people won't. Same goes for your view of touchwiz. It's clearly user friendly enough to have 50+ million regular (read: not techy) people using it daily.

Bigger and better hardware, same popular size. That is absolutely design improvement. You don't have to change your construction totally every year. While a lot of us prefer different materials, again, Samsung took better goods and kept them in a form factor they knew to be popular. That's is a improvement AND holds to their brand image.

We're not average consumers; we're geeks on an Android forum discussing the merits of these new "features". Who cares if the public will eat it up? Nobody is doubting that. But that's not a legitimate way to dismiss criticisms of their actual usefulness. And the public will also not get much out of these gimmicks. The functionality is just not there. Tilting to scroll? Subpar photo editing on your phone? Using multiple S4's as a sound system (lol)? S-Translate/Navigation (super lol)? Can you honestly tell me that these features will be highly useful or even work as advertised 100% or even most of the time? THIS is the reason there are 50+ million regular users:

u84842700_13c2225c0fcg2_blog.png

Don't tell me for one second it's because the Samsung phone has a pedometer and accompanying health software.

And as for the design, it's absolutely lazy, especially when compared with the improvements HTC has made. It may still be fine, but it's not on the same level as its competitor.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

There are absolutely downsides.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

We're not average consumers; we're geeks on an Android forum discussing the merits of these new "features". Who cares if the public will eat it up? Nobody is doubting that. But that's not a legitimate way to dismiss criticisms of their actual usefulness. And the public will also not get much out of these gimmicks. The functionality is just not there. Tilting to scroll? Subpar photo editing on your phone? Using multiple S4's as a sound system (lol)? S-Translate/Navigation (super lol)? Can you honestly tell me that these features will be highly useful or even work as advertised 100% or even most of the time? THIS is the reason there are 50+ million regular users:

Don't tell me for one second it's because the Samsung phone has a pedometer and accompanying health software.

And as for the design, it's absolutely lazy, especially when compared with the improvements HTC has made. It may still be fine, but it's not on the same level as its competitor.

Who cares about the design?

It's about function over form

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae