This is why I think the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: This is why the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

We're not average consumers; we're geeks on an Android forum discussing the merits of these new "features". Who cares if the public will eat it up? Nobody is doubting that. But that's not a legitimate way to dismiss criticisms of their actual usefulness. And the public will also not get much out of these gimmicks. The functionality is just not there. Tilting to scroll? Subpar photo editing on your phone? Using multiple S4's as a sound system (lol)? S-Translate/Navigation (super lol)? Can you honestly tell me that these features will be highly useful or even work as advertised 100% or even most of the time? THIS is the reason there are 50+ million regular users:

Don't tell me for one second it's because the Samsung phone has a pedometer and accompanying health software.

And as for the design, it's absolutely lazy, especially when compared with the improvements HTC has made. It may still be fine, but it's not on the same level as its competitor.

Marketing may get people to buy a phone, but it won't get them to keep it, or to word of mouth advertise it to their friends and families.

You continue to assert what the general public will/will not use. The problem is, they don't generally look at things like us "geeks" do. Any you can't honestly say those features won't turn out to be useful or funcional, so there's no point to blast them before even getting to use them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the design issue, you seem to only think your version of improvement is an improvement.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

Wow I'm really finding funny that people are mad about choice. Let's look at it this way I spend 199 for a gs4 16gig ( if its that price) buy a 64 gig card for what 70 bucks max and have over 70 gigs with of space. You buy an HTC one let's say the its 250 for the 64 gig model and you have 58 gigs Max of space. Now let's talk about the battery. You give me a 9.3mm device that goes to 4.7mn on the edge of the phone with a 2360 math battery. Or a 7.7ish km device with a 2600 math battery. But guess what I can remove my battery if it goes bad if I'm a power user I can buy a backup battery and easily swap batteries. Sorry but I would prefer the second option. I understand everyone has their personal preference but I prefer function over form . Shoot I'm happy Samsung was able to expend the screen pack in more tech and still make the device smaller. That is true innovation and that's what I would rather have. All the features may seems like gimmicks but it shows that Samsung is thinking of new thinks you can do with your phone and I will never fault them for it

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Which is silly and pointless.

AOSP is ok, but why buy a feature rick phone only to strip it of the features?

If they'd fix AOSP to be able to add the features back great, but until then what's the point of buying a device with those abilities?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

I agree. I like the TW features of the phone.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

We're not average consumers; we're geeks on an Android forum discussing the merits of these new "features". Who cares if the public will eat it up? Nobody is doubting that. But that's not a legitimate way to dismiss criticisms of their actual usefulness. And the public will also not get much out of these gimmicks. The functionality is just not there. Tilting to scroll? Subpar photo editing on your phone? Using multiple S4's as a sound system (lol)? S-Translate/Navigation (super lol)? Can you honestly tell me that these features will be highly useful or even work as advertised 100% or even most of the time? THIS is the reason there are 50+ million regular users:

Don't tell me for one second it's because the Samsung phone has a pedometer and accompanying health software.

And as for the design, it's absolutely lazy, especially when compared with the improvements HTC has made. It may still be fine, but it's not on the same level as its competitor.

Hey, navigation is plenty useful. Unless you carry one of those gasoline station maps from the old days to take on trips, navigation works wonders. Also, the phone as surround sound is actually pretty cool.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

-.2ghz is negligible... Any benefit remains to be seen. I'd take the Snapdragon 600 at 1.7 ghz (ala One) or 1.9 ghz over the Exynos Octa
-Better camera? lol. No possible way to tell at this point in time.
-Bigger display and microSD are fair
-Is it really stock? Or are they just incorporating some Swiftkey features into the stock keyboard? Either way, gonna get Swiftkey 4 on any new phone I get asap.

The HTC One has a build quality within another stratosphere, most likely a much, much better screen, and most likely better speakers and mic. I'd take Sense 5 over Touchwiz any day of the week.

So according to me, you're factually wrong :) (SARCASM ALERT)

Benchmark Tests
361fa5d8c5d04fd6.jpg

6e4896c037b2f60.jpg

Swiftkey
- The Galaxy S4 Keyboard is built with Swiftkey, so all the predictive texting will be as good as swiftkey

I will agree that the HTC One may have a better screen and also better speakers...and yes HTC Sense 5 is better than Touchwiz....but I can just use a launcher, I don't use touchwiz anyways

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Who cares about the design?

It's about function over form

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

Anybody who ever picks up the phone. It's pretty telling when you have something that's the same price but constructed of much higher-grade materials and with a much better quality. It's important and is something you notice everytime you pick up your device. Not saying the SIV is badly built (and again I haven't held one) but will most likely fall short of its competitors.

Marketing may get people to buy a phone, but it won't get them to keep it, or to word of mouth advertise it to their friends and families.

You continue to assert what the general public will/will not use. The problem is, they don't generally look at things like us "geeks" do. Any you can't honestly say those features won't turn out to be useful or funcional, so there's no point to blast them before even getting to use them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the design issue, you seem to only think your version of improvement is an improvement.

Again I will assert that like everybody here, I haven't used the phone and will reserve final judgement until I do. However, you can't say with a straight face that "features" like All cast aren't gimmicky. When are you ever going to be in situation with 5 or 6 other SIV users, and not only want to but have the drive and time to set it up? And when would you ever need to? It's a completely worthless feature, and is extremely situational at best.

I'm not asserting what the general public will/will not use. But from what I've seen, it's hard to come up with any practical use for most all of the features they've demonstrated. It'd be difficult to get use out of them either as a tech geek like myself, or as a member of the general public (hell, even more so for them). Keeping with S-voice with the advent of Google Now is a completely ridiculous decision, given how bad it is. S-Translate is simply not ever going to be useful, and I highly doubt it'll work the level you'd need it to if you ever did use it. Not to mention signal being an issue with a cloud based service. Given Samsung's marketing budget, which is outrageous, as well as the focus of the recent SIV reveal, it's pretty obvious what they're shooting for. And that's completely off-putting, at least for me.

See above for further elaboration on design. It's lazy, no other way about it. Components and technology improve greatly over a year. Fitting the better components into the same space is nothing compared to actually focusing on making a new, ergonomic and well-built handset constructed from premium materials. I'm not saying the Galaxy SIV is badly designed. But I certainly would've liked to have seen more, and that's coming from somebody who is strongly considering the handset and looking forward to it.

Wow I'm really finding funny that people are mad about choice. Let's look at it this way I spend 199 for a gs4 16gig ( if its that price) buy a 64 gig card for what 70 bucks max and have over 70 gigs with of space. You buy an HTC one let's say the its 250 for the 64 gig model and you have 58 gigs Max of space. Now let's talk about the battery. You give me a 9.3mm device that goes to 4.7mn on the edge of the phone with a 2360 math battery. Or a 7.7ish km device with a 2600 math battery. But guess what I can remove my battery if it goes bad if I'm a power user I can buy a backup battery and easily swap batteries. Sorry but I would prefer the second option. I understand everyone has their personal preference but I prefer function over form . Shoot I'm happy Samsung was able to expend the screen pack in more tech and still make the device smaller. That is true innovation and that's what I would rather have. All the features may seems like gimmicks but it shows that Samsung is thinking of new thinks you can do with your phone and I will never fault them for it

Make no mistake - I never bashed choice. It's the glory of being an Android user. If that's what's important to you, then go for it. Removable battery and MicroSD are complete nonfactors for me, so that makes my choice a little easier.

Hey, navigation is plenty useful. Unless you carry one of those gasoline station maps from the old days to take on trips, navigation works wonders. Also, the phone as surround sound is actually pretty cool.

Navigation is absolutely a cornerstone of my smartphone usage. But I highly doubt the shoddy S-Voice can do it better than Google can.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

People care to much about phones now a days lol..

Each phone will be good. I have zero doubt the S4 will be great and the HTC One will be great as well.. Each will have features unique to it.. Because if it was the exact same then it wouldn't matter what phone you get.

So Sheesh. Guys chill.. You can't argue someone's opinion. That's like me trying to convince my one friend that Android is better than iPhone when he is a die hard Apple lover and his opinion will never be like mine... It's pointless. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Lol @ people talking build quality

How do you know the build quality when it isn't released yet?

We only know the build material

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Ha ha ha. I appreciate everyone's opinion but this made me laugh. "I hate having the option to expand my storage". I just don't get it. What's the downside? Is it not entirely upside just to have the slot? If you don't need it, fine. If you do its there.

1. Licensing to Microsoft.
2. Need to use a depreciated file system to be compatible with desktop computers.
3. It's very insecure. In fact, it completely ignores the Android user/group/sandbox model, and gives everyone in the world access to the data stored there -- even via the web browser.
4. It's not supported by Android, and so far not supported by Samsung. It's just there. Samsung needs to get it integrated into the system much better.
5. They are slow, and prone to corrupt data.

I won't suggest that users don't need a lot of storage, but not from an SD card.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

2. Need to use a depreciated file system to be compatible with desktop computers.
3. It's very insecure. In fact, it completely ignores the Android user/group/sandbox model, and gives everyone in the world access to the data stored there -- even via the web browser.
4. It's not supported by Android, and so far not supported by Samsung. It's just there. Samsung needs to get it integrated into the system much better.

I won't suggest that users don't need a lot of storage, but not from an SD card.

All those points don't really show that its better without and SD Card....I think when you look at it overall, the option to have a MicroSD Card is much more valuable

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

All those points don't really show that its better without and SD Card....I think when you look at it overall, the option to have a MicroSD Card is much more valuable

Someone asked what the downsides were to having an SD card. I listed a few of them.
If these downsides make it "much more valuable" to you, that's your decision.

rubiksbotes

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
-.2ghz is negligible... Any benefit remains to be seen. I'd take the Snapdragon 600 at 1.7 ghz (ala One) or 1.9 ghz over the Exynos Octa
-"Features"... Define that, will you? Almost none of those look to be actually useful or perform well in the real world
-LED Notifier... what do you mean by that?
-More "features"... see above
-Bigger battery - Real world battery life remains to be seen. Between two different phones a difference of 300mah isn't enough to draw any reasonable conclusion from
-Is it really stock? Or are they just incorporating some Swiftkey features into the stock keyboard? Either way, gonna get Swiftkey 4 on any new phone I get asap.

The HTC One has a build quality within another stratosphere, most likely a much, much better screen, and most likely better speakers and mic. I'd take Sense 5 over Touchwiz any day of the week.

Excuse me sir the s4 is pounding with a 13 mp camera far bettwer than what the one has to offer with a 4 mega pixels

- - - Updated - - -

-"Features"... Define that, will you? Almost none of those look to be actually useful or perform well in the real world
-LED Notifier... what do you mean by that?
-More "features"... see above
-Bigger battery - Real world battery life remains to be seen. Between two different phones a difference of 300mah isn't enough to draw any reasonable conclusion from

Excuse me sir the s4 is pounding with a 13 mp camera far bettwer than what the one has to offer with a 4 mega pixels

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Actually the one has a 4 ULTRAPIXEL camera which Jerry says ,"The camera on the HTC One simply blows the camera on the Galaxy S4 away."

Samsung Galaxy S 4 Vs HTC One - Quick Camera Comparison | TechnoBuffalo

- - - Updated - - -

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

How in the world are people saying the S4's camera is better than the One's because it has more megapixels? This is wrong. Megapixels do not determine picture quality! More megapixels does not mean that the camera will be better!

Last edited:

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

Galaxy S4 Pro Points over the HTC One
- Faster Processor ***
- MicroSD Card slot ***
- Better Camera
- WAY Better camera features (More close to a digital camera)
- Bigger Display
- LED Notifier ***
- Creative features (Dual Shot, Multi Phone Speaker, Air Touch Preview)
- Bigger Battery
- SwiftKey used for Stock Keyboard

HTC One Pro Points over Galaxy S4
- Design
- Better front facing camera
- Better stock UI

OVERALL WINNER: Samsung Galaxy S4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am ;)

This...sucked. Why can't people ever connect the dots when they think anymore, was it really hard to put some thought behind your list and flesh things out while making more sense of your list?

Better design and front facing camera....on who's merit, say something. Better stock UI...why, why not highlight something they do well here.

Faster processor....does that mean it has been taken advantage of, or you will use it? Do you need a faster one to send texts...how does this help? Why is the camera better, and what makes the features better if you don't use them? Is bigger better when it comes to display, what about resolution, aspect ratio, and how colors as shown?

LED is generally a good thing to have, but what creative features does the HTC have....don't tell me none.

Bigger battery...so what, if it has a bigger screen it needs a bigger battery right? So it is only natural, doesn't make it a good point, usually a smaller battery is better, it means you are doing more with less.

When did swift key become great? Sounds like a cop out for typing and becoming a better human being.

Also, you have mentioned nothing about reliability, warranty, update schedule....think more buddy

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

- Faster Processor ***
- MicroSD Card slot ***
- Better Camera
- WAY Better camera features (More close to a digital camera)
- Bigger Display
- LED Notifier ***
- Creative features (Dual Shot, Multi Phone Speaker, Air Touch Preview)
- Bigger Battery
- SwiftKey used for Stock Keyboard

- Design
- Better front facing camera
- Better stock UI

OVERALL WINNER: Samsung Galaxy S4

Could you have written a more biased post? You sound entirely uninformed on the devices and come across as unqualified to compare them appropriately.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Worthless post for those of us who use SD cards for nothing but music, of which I have a veritable sh!t ton.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

- Faster Processor *** Yes by .2 GHZ, will it really make that big of a difference?
- MicroSD Card slot *** Thats a debatable better feature. Not everyone needs one, some do.
- Better CameraWe will see once people actually get it in their hand.
- WAY Better camera features (More close to a digital camera)See above
- Bigger DisplayOnce again thats debatable and comes down to prefereance.
- LED Notifier ***And the HTC One has one too!!! So that's one their even on.
- Creative features (Dual Shot, Multi Phone Speaker, Air Touch Preview)Once again, we will see just how good it works
- Bigger BatteryJust because it's bigger doesn't mean it better
- SwiftKey used for Stock KeyboardThat's debatable as well. If you don't like it, you can't delete it so it is wasted space.Guess it is good their is a sd card slot.

- DesignAgain debatable. Aluminum dents and scracthes. Plastic breaks and scratches, but holds up to drops better.
- Better front facing cameraTo most I doubt it matters. I don't know anyone that uses it
- Better stock UIPersonal Preference.

OVERALL WINNER: Samsung Galaxy S4That's the one for you. Not necessarily the best phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech