This is why I think the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

vhew

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: This is why the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

Here's my 2cents on why I'll likely choose the Galaxy S4 over HTC One. I think the hardware is better for MY purposes.

I currently have a Galaxy S2 running Cyanogen 10.1, and I am looking for the best phone to get next. My shortlist is the Galaxy S4 32GB international and the HTC One (M7) 64GB.

I will install Cyanogenmod or some other ROM when I can. This makes the installed software and updates schedule irrelevent.

BENEFITS OF GALAXY S4
---------------------
note: These are all JUST ASSUMPTIONS until the comparative reviews come out.

1. BETTER BATTERY LIFE
- the new AMOLED screen with this PHOLED thing should be more power efficient than the One's SLCD
- The Exynos 5410 should be more power efficient than the Snapdragon 600 (used by the One and the US Galaxy S4 variant). I do not care for LTE right now, so Exynos is ideal for battery.
- Larger capacity battery (2600mAh vs. 2300mAh). There is also the option to install a larger capacity battery at the expensive of making the currently thin phone thicker.

2. DURABILITY
- Plastic casing. To me this is a feature over the One. Plastic is more robust, replacable, lighter and cheaper than aluminium (or glass). I will have a simple TPU case to absorb the impact from drops. I see no point paying extra for the aluminium whcih I will not touch or notice in everyday use.
- Gorilla Glass 3. I hate screen protectors, and Gorilla Glass 3 is three times more scratch resistant than Gorilla Glass 2 (the one used on the One).

3. RESALE (admittedly not important, but added since it is a differentiator)
- Replacable battery increases resale dramatically
- the resale difference between a 16GB, 32GB or 64GB is not huge. It's always more cost efficient to get the cheaper model. I can save money upfront getting the 16GB or 32GB variant of the S4 and add slower memory (microSD) for media when I need it. When I sell, my "loss" on the 16GB/32GB will not be as big as loss on the 64GB version.

BENEFITS OF HTC ONE
-------------------
Things I love about the One, but are not as important as my requirement for battery life and durability:

A. CAMERA ULTRAPIXEL. HTC's focus on the low light aspect of the camera is very important. Having a low megapixel count, while also being able to get the shot (i.e. low light performance), is perfect for a phone camera due reduced file sizes, which is ideal to store more photos on the phone and to lower network usage. I carry a dedicated prime lens camera and can use that for higher resolution work. I will still use the phone camera for wide angle shots, and other things I want to share quickly. However, I do have my reservations how hard it is for ROMs like Cyanogen to quickly support such a camera.

B. SOUND: Boomsound is great, but still of limited use. But if I'm on the go, I'll still use headphones for better quality and to not disturb others. When I'm home it'll be of use. I'll be interested in a review of the quality of the headphone amp in this phone vs. the output in the S4.

C. CALL QUALITY. HTC has done a great job in adding an additional microphone to help with noise-cancellation/adaptive-volume. Unfortunately, I rarely talk on the phone.

MORE INFO PLEASE
----------------

RECEPTION/ATENNA
I would like some comparative review on the quality of the reception of these phones. Why does no one mention this nowadays? Reception quality is important for borderline coverage cases and is also related to battery life.

Last edited:

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

**Cough**It's Plastic**Cough**TouchWiz:(**Cough**

I better get this flu checked out. Still not a bad looking phone though, but pass.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Nope. All the points he made apply no matter what you use it for.

What he posted is absolutely true. MicroSD is dead in android and Samsung has a horrible implentation of it. If you truly have that much music, then you'll also know how frustrating load times on microSD cards can be when they're full.

Case in point: on my old S3 I had about 30 gigs of music on my SD card. Every single time I went into the music player the lag was ridiculous as the phone tried to read the card and as I scrolled through the library at the same time. It was so bad that I had to actually stop using music on the device.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have had absolutely no problem with "load times" or anything else using/swapping out two 32GB SD cards literally full of nothing but music, but then again, I have not been using a Samsung device. So are you saying I'm in for nothing but trouble if I buy an S4 and put all of that music on a single 64GB card?

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Sammy phones are notorious for borking sd cards! Not to mention that godawful, horrendous looking pentile display!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

This argument is going to be vastly overshadowed this summer if the latest X phone rumors end up being true. Custom build your own phone specs straight from the manufacturer with no carrier lock or ware, and a couple other things and a starting price point of $200 That's 10x more innovative and useful than the touchwiz and sense gimmicks combined. Game over. You'd be insane to buy either phone when the announcement for this will be in May.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I have had absolutely no problem with "load times" or anything else using/swapping out two 32GB SD cards literally full of nothing but music, but then again, I have not been using a Samsung device. So are you saying I'm in for nothing but trouble if I buy an S4 and put all of that music on a single 64GB card?

I wouldn't say you'll have nothing but trouble, but if your SD card randomly goes bad and can't be read anymore then blame the phone. Also, I'm not sure what third party music players work well with Samsung's implementation of the SD card. Some will look in the right place, some won't. Basically support for the SD card is being "hacked in" by Samsung. Android doesn't support it, and Google doesn't build for it.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung releases a tablet with 4.2.2 and multi-user support. SD cards don't play well with that at all. Actually, I'm not sure it can be done after having a few conversations with people smarter than me.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

If you wanna play that game, every feature will be "gimmicky." Realistically, MicroSD is not an important option for most of the phone buying population. It's a resource that can be replaced with internal storage for most people. The OS itself is built with not having it being the preferred choice.

I get that that may not be your preference, but companies build for the masses, not the small groups dead set on one or two particular needs.

You're right. Companies build for the masses. Except HTC. I would venture to say that more people use SD cards than cloud storage. I don't have any data to back that up, but cloud storage is still in the early adoption phase of it's existence as companies just now are tapping into it. SD cards have been around so long, that they are in more homes. When it comes to technology, the majority of people generally are not early adopters. With an SD card, you can stil use cloud storage. Without an SD card slot, you can ONLY use cloud storage. I went with Android because I want options. I don't want Apple (HTC) telling me what I do or do not need.

The reason I say HTC doesn't build for the masses, is because they choose a material that feels good and provides false security, but it causes production issues so they can't meet demand. Samsung might go with polycarbonate that feels cheaper, but the product is still solid and they can "build for the masses" by providing devices for the high demand that they ALWAYS have. Your last sentence could easily describe both of us. Let's keep that in mind.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site

You're right. Companies build for the masses. Except HTC. I would venture to say that more people use SD cards than cloud storage. I don't have any data to back that up, but cloud storage is still in the early adoption phase of it's existence as companies just now are tapping into it. SD cards have been around so long, that they are in more homes. When it comes to technology, the majority of people generally are not early adopters. With an SD card, you can stil use cloud storage. Without an SD card slot, you can ONLY use cloud storage. I went with Android because I want options. I don't want Apple (HTC) telling me what I do or do not need.

The reason I say HTC doesn't build for the masses, is because they choose a material that feels good and provides false security, but it causes production issues so they can't meet demand. Samsung might go with polycarbonate that feels cheaper, but the product is still solid and they can "build for the masses" by providing devices for the high demand that they ALWAYS have. Your last sentence could easily describe both of us. Let's keep that in mind.

Cloud is all well and fine, if you have unlimited data. I love my SD cards.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

There are absolutely downsides.

Worst case scenario, it's there and you don't use it. How is that a downside? If you want it, it's there. If you don't, you wont use it. There may be downsides when you try to load 64 GB of music and video files or whatever. But if you don't want it, at least the manufacturer is offering choice for those who might want it.

JonCBK

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

There's way more than comes into play here, from f-stop to ISO to shutter speeds. So while a greater megapixel count does not equal a better picture, it doesn't equal a worse picture, either.

Yes, but it becomes increasingly more challenging to get a good picture when you add megapixels at this level. So in the end it is much more likely that the phone is worse for being a 13 megapixel phone than if Samsung had used the same amount of skills on a 8 megapixel phone. And the only advantage will be on the rare rare moments when you want to crop a teeny part of the picture out and blow it up. Which you still won't be able to do and make a good picture unless you took the picture with the phone attached to a tripod since the cropped detail will show the shake from your hand.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

1. Licensing to Microsoft.
2. Need to use a depreciated file system to be compatible with desktop computers.
3. It's very insecure. In fact, it completely ignores the Android user/group/sandbox model, and gives everyone in the world access to the data stored there -- even via the web browser.
4. It's not supported by Android, and so far not supported by Samsung. It's just there. Samsung needs to get it integrated into the system much better.
5. They are slow, and prone to corrupt data.

I won't suggest that users don't need a lot of storage, but not from an SD card.

That is a good list of potential problems with the SD card itself, but what I am wondering, is how is it a bad thing to have the option to use one? If the things you listed are too much of a sacrifice compared to the "benefits" of using an SD card, you simply don't use it and STILL have the same access to cloud storage that any other device would have. My point, is when someone says a knock on the S4 is that it has the slot, they're being ridiculous. UNLESS the manufacturer offered lower internal storage because they chose to offer a mini sd. Otherwise, no one is forcing people to use it and it doesn't change anything.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't say you'll have nothing but trouble, but if your SD card randomly goes bad and can't be read anymore then blame the phone. Also, I'm not sure what third party music players work well with Samsung's implementation of the SD card. Some will look in the right place, some won't. Basically support for the SD card is being "hacked in" by Samsung. Android doesn't support it, and Google doesn't build for it.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung releases a tablet with 4.2.2 and multi-user support. SD cards don't play well with that at all. Actually, I'm not sure it can be done after having a few conversations with people smarter than me.

PowerAmp works perfectly with SD Cards....its what I use all the time

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

I find it very fascinating that people feel so strongly against the S4, a product that isn't even out, that they feel the need to come to S4 forums and tell others that something else is better. It's an odd phenomena that I find it hard to explain? Is it some sort of insecurity? What's the point of this? Do they go to strangers on the street and tell them they chose the wrong spouse?

I don't get that kind of behavior. Can someone explain this to me?

Everybody has reasons for the choices they made, whether it's a phone or a spouse, why do some feel compelled to pass judgement on them?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I find it very fascinating that people feel so strongly against the S4, a product that isn't even out, that they feel the need to come to S4 forums and tell others that something else is better. It's an odd phenomena that I find it hard to explain? Is it some sort of insecurity? What's the point of this? Do they go to strangers on the street and tell them they chose the wrong spouse?

Everybody has reasons for the choices they made, whether it's a phone or a spouse, why do some feel compelled to pass judgement on them?

Because knocking others (Android vs. iPhone, or HTC vs. Samsung) probably makes people feel better about themselves.

It's funny.

Defending one corporation (whose goal is to take your money) while blasting a competing corporation (whose goal is also to take your money). Fanboys will be fanboys, I guess. It's even better - one side doesn't like your opinion so they call you a fanboy. Ridiculous.

And it's even funnier that this S4 vs. One comparison is going on while neither device has been widely release yet.

Spec war!

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Because knocking others (Android vs. iPhone, or HTC vs. Samsung) probably makes people feel better about themselves.

It's funny.

Defending one corporation (whose goal is to take your money) while blasting a competing corporation (whose goal is also to take your money). Fanboys will be fanboys, I guess. It's even better - one side doesn't like your opinion so they call you a fanboy. Ridiculous.

And it's even funnier that this S4 vs. One comparison is going on while neither device has been widely release yet.

Spec war!

I agree. Its just like the echoes of "I hate touchwhiz, sense, blur etc. I like stock."

A lot of it is because of this I'm going to hate whatever is popular so I look cool.

I've got a friend that only listens to music no one else listens to. Everyone wants to be "cutting edge."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

It's funny.

Spec war!

I come to these forums for advice. It makes it hard to find out about a phone with all the noise in here. Then, once I find real information, it's hard to determine if it's fact or fiction.

I'm thinking about replacing my Galaxy Nexus. I come here for information. My phone requirements are pretty simple and minimalistic, really. 1) Must be Verizon. Don't tell me how bad Verizon is or judge me for that choice, it's Verizon and that's not negotiable. 2) Android OS. 3) Replaceable battery. That's not negotiable, with wifi tethering I can burn through a battery in about 3 hours. I don't care much about aesthetics. I can see from this thread that the One won't work for based on one or two of my minimalistic requirements. I think I've narrowed my choice to S4 or Note 2. Gonna have to wait and see.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

I agree. Its just like the echoes of "I hate touchwhiz, sense, blur etc. I like stock."

A lot of it is because of this I'm going to hate whatever is popular so I look cool.

I've got a friend that only listens to music no one else listens to. Everyone wants to be "cutting edge."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't really care what others choose, I only care about facts to help me choose. In fact, on my Galaxy Nexus I chose the AOKP rom over AOSP simply because it was NOT stock and it's filled with features. I don't care what the guy sitting next to me is doing and I probably won't show him my phone. Often I sit in a room full of iPhone people and they really don't care about features or they wouldn't have chosen an iPhone to begin with. Bragging about my phone only pi$$es them off and what's the point of that?

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

That is a good list of potential problems with the SD card itself, but what I am wondering, is how is it a bad thing to have the option to use one? If the things you listed are too much of a sacrifice compared to the "benefits" of using an SD card, you simply don't use it and STILL have the same access to cloud storage that any other device would have. My point, is when someone says a knock on the S4 is that it has the slot, they're being ridiculous. UNLESS the manufacturer offered lower internal storage because they chose to offer a mini sd. Otherwise, no one is forcing people to use it and it doesn't change anything.

Did you even read his list? There are downsides to implementing it. He just listed them.

And another who misses the point of this forum.

Then why are you in here questioning them? The whole point of being here is freely voicing and discussing opinions, just as you are doing right now. You simply dismiss their criticisms by reiterating the obvious. Of course everybody has the choice to buy whatever they want. If you have no substantive response to their opinions then don't respond at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463