This is why I think the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: This is why the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

I wouldn't say you'll have nothing but trouble, but if your SD card randomly goes bad and can't be read anymore then blame the phone. Also, I'm not sure what third party music players work well with Samsung's implementation of the SD card. Some will look in the right place, some won't. Basically support for the SD card is being "hacked in" by Samsung. Android doesn't support it, and Google doesn't build for it.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung releases a tablet with 4.2.2 and multi-user support. SD cards don't play well with that at all. Actually, I'm not sure it can be done after having a few conversations with people smarter than me.

So if I don't use the SD card slot can I also completely remove all the code and support Samsung had to add to the OS to make it work so that I can more easily get updates? Or, more importantly to some, build a pure AOSP rom for it, which won't have support for the SD card?

"If" it goes bad, of course (and "if" my car blows a gasket and "if" I slip on a banana peel and fracture my spine, etc., etc. . . .) Plus, unless people are lying, both native and third-party music apps play well with the SD card, at least on the Note 2 and S3, from what I've read.

I understand why some people object to its mere presence, and I recognize the problems its presence presents for multi-user support. However, until 128GB internal storage is an option, I want the SD card slot as an option. So I for one am glad Samsung has it, even if it means "hacking in" to Android.

That said, I suppose I could get a 64GB HTC One and do what I did with my 64GB tab and edit my music collection down to fit. But why should I? After email and phone, music is my most frequently used app.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I come to these forums for advice. It makes it hard to find out about a phone with all the noise in here. Then, once I find real information, it's hard to determine if it's fact or fiction.

I'm thinking about replacing my Galaxy Nexus. I come here for information. My phone requirements are pretty simple and minimalistic, really. 1) Must be Verizon. Don't tell me how bad Verizon is or judge me for that choice, it's Verizon and that's not negotiable. 2) Android OS. 3) Replaceable battery. That's not negotiable, with wifi tethering I can burn through a battery in about 3 hours. I don't care much about aesthetics. I can see from this thread that the One won't work for based on one or two of my minimalistic requirements. I think I've narrowed my choice to S4 or Note 2. Gonna have to wait and see.

I just picked up the Note 2. Man, that is a NICE phone. I put a Ringke Slim case on it to protect the back and for those times I lay it face down - mostly to hide the LED at night - to keep it from laying on the glass. It's fast, it has an SD slot, you can swap battery - although the battery seems to last forever, definitely longer than the S3. If you can deal with the size and you want a super phone right now, I'd get it. I like the size. It fits my pocket OK with the Ringke on it, and the screen is edging into truly generally useful territory without splitting my pocket seams.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

"If" it goes bad, of course (and "if" my car blows a gasket and "if" I slip on a banana peel and fracture my spine, etc., etc. . . .) Plus, unless people are lying, both native and third-party music apps play well with the SD card, at least on the Note 2 and S3, from what I've read.

I understand why some people object to its mere presence, and I recognize the problems its presence presents for multi-user support. However, until 128GB internal storage is an option, I want the SD card slot as an option. So I for one am glad Samsung has it, even if it means "hacking in" to Android.

That said, I suppose I could get a 64GB HTC One and do what I did with my 64GB tab and edit my music collection down to fit. But why should I? After email and phone, music is my most frequently used app.

I've never disputed the fact that people WANT storage. Not everyone NEEDS the storage they say they want, though. 128gb in phones isn't going to happen until the NAND is invented. It's a physical space thing.

I have a limited data plan. I have a 16gb Nexus 4. I use the cloud (Google Music, Pandora, Slacker) and have never had a problem going over my limit. When I'm on wifi I pin and unpin different playlists on Google Music. I understand that wouldn't work for everyone (once you get the playlists made, it's really easy and takes a few seconds), but it would work for most. Some would call it laziness to want your entire music collection with them all the time. I used to want mine with me, too. I don't think it's lazy, I think it's convenience. But what about the people with terabytes worth of music? What will they do?

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

I've never disputed the fact that people WANT storage. Not everyone NEEDS the storage they say they want, though. 128gb in phones isn't going to happen until the NAND is invented. It's a physical space thing.

I have a limited data plan. I have a 16gb Nexus 4. I use the cloud (Google Music, Pandora, Slacker) and have never had a problem going over my limit. When I'm on wifi I pin and unpin different playlists on Google Music. I understand that wouldn't work for everyone (once you get the playlists made, it's really easy and takes a few seconds), but it would work for most. Some would call it laziness to want your entire music collection with them all the time. I used to want mine with me, too. I don't think it's lazy, I think it's convenience. But what about the people with terabytes worth of music? What will they do?

People will always make excuses and argue about which phone is better or not. But one thing for sure is you can never tell a person they don't "need" something. If they're paying for the phone they choose no one has a right to tell Em that you'll be fine with non removable memory. In fact, most people that I deal with turn down the HTC phones because of that, and because they had so many problems with their OG evo 4G lol. Anyways that's my rant!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

128GB in phones isn't going to happen anytime soon? Samsung is already on the case: Samsung Begins Mass Producing Industry?s Highest Density (128GB) Embedded NAND Storage

I've got all of my music uploaded to Google Music, but of course there are times when one doesn't have a connection (airplanes, most notably). You can argue that I might be happier with a 128GB iPod, but I wouldn't -- I like having all of my music with me on my phone, and don't want to carry a separate device. Yes, it is convenience -- isn't that a large part of what it's all about? So until we do get 128GB phones -- and I think that will happen soon enough -- people like me who have a decent-sized music collection (as well as mkv Blu-ray rips, but that's another story) need the SD card slot.

The only people with terabytes of music are certifiably insane Deadheads who have downloaded the entirety of archive.org and have all of their other voluminous archival releases in FLAC format. I'm actually a fairly serious Deadhead myself, but even I only have 256 hours of their music (number of songs is unhelpful when talking about the Dead, which is one reason I'm thrilled that Google Music imposes a number-of-songs rather than a GB limit). I think when you get beyond my level of collecting music, you're pretty much into teeny-tiny minority territory, and those people will have to cope. I just need the option to go over 64GB to cope.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

People will always make excuses and argue about which phone is better or not. But one thing for sure is you can never tell a person they don't "need" something. If they're paying for the phone they choose no one has a right to tell Em that you'll be fine with non removable memory. In fact, most people that I deal with turn down the HTC phones because of that, and because they had so many problems with their OG evo 4G lol. Anyways that's my rant!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Feeling like you need something and actually needing it are different. That's what I was trying to say. I used to think that about removable batteries, but then I realized that I never actually change it anyway. I just charge the phone when it needs it. So after some time I realized that I didn't need it, and it went from being a "need" to being a "nice to have" to being "doesn't matter anymore". Same with SD cards for me. Those things just became less important to me over time, and as I educated myself more.

Just like with anything, given enough time we'll adapt to use something that might not work the way we want, or have the features we want because at the end of the day we have to prioritize what's more important in a device. For me it became software updates. I'm a huge hardware nut, and was reluctant to replace my AT&T One X with the Nexus 4 because of the drop in display and camera quality. But the longer AT&T held back the JB update the more important software updates became. Hence I changed to a Nexus.

Point is, things that were extremely important to us just a year ago could change given the right circumstances.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Benchmarks are one thing, real-world performance is another.

Samsung Galaxy S4 hands-on - YouTube

Have a look from 0:50 swiping through screens. Looks pretty laggy to me.

Might be pre-release hardware/software, but that's not very comforting to watch. Especially when it's supposed to be on the super-duper powerhouse Exynos 5 octa.

And if the video isn't enough, some impressions from Gizmodo: Samsung Galaxy S IV Hands On: Everything New Is Old Again | Gizmodo Australia

"I had the HTC One with me during my hands on time, and the difference is like night and day. For starters, the One is noticeably faster in every context. When flicking between screens, opening apps and taking photos, there was clear lag on the Galaxy S IV, whereas everything was almost instantaneous on the One."

My only guesses are either that the software/hardware isn't optimised properly and the final product will have lag issues sorted out, or that Samsung have bloated TouchWiz so much that it just doesn't perform well.

InB4Gizmodoisbiasedaccusations

Exactly you should know Giz is biased....ANYTHING Android they have something bad to say but when it comes to iPhone its like Oh Praise the Heavens! I stopped reading them a while ago it got annoying

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

Exactly you should know Giz is biased....ANYTHING Android they have something bad to say but when it comes to iPhone its like Oh Praise the Heavens! I stopped reading them a while ago it got annoying

He wasnt comparing the s4 to an iphone though. Didnt see much bias in there. They are reviewing two different android phones. I though it was a pretty good comparison review.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Benchmarks dont mean anything for realworld use. Your point is invalid.

Is that the case? I know it is for my PC, but my phone, a Galaxy Nexus, has some annoying lag time. Have the new phones reached the "no lag" point where we don't care about speed any more?

If so, then that's great. One less thing to worry about in comparisons.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

Is that the case? I know it is for my PC, but my phone, a Galaxy Nexus, has some annoying lag time. Have the new phones reached the "no lag" point where we don't care about speed any more?

If so, then that's great. One less thing to worry about in comparisons.

Im running sense 5 and 4.1.2 on my dna and dont notice any lag. If it is there, I dont see it. Lol.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

He wasnt comparing the s4 to an iphone though. Didnt see much bias in there. They are reviewing two different android phones. I though it was a pretty good comparison review.

I know, but my experience with Gizmodo is to make the iPhone look good when its bad, and when it comes to Android, they point out all the bad things
As for their review, it was somewhat better than their previous ones I will admit

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Cmon guys!!!!!! Please stop with the "well this phone is better than the other" Has anyone touched either phones?? No! From the look of both they are equal.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I know, but my experience with Gizmodo is to make the iPhone look good when its bad, and when it comes to Android, they point out all the bad things
As for their review, it was somewhat better than their previous ones I will admit

They pointed out plenty of bad with the iPhone. They also have said point blank that the One is their favorite smartphone hands down right now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

They pointed out plenty of bad with the iPhone. They also have said point blank that the One is their favorite smartphone hands down right now.

It's hilarious. The Verge review of the one calls it the "gold-standard" for Android. But the average Android fanboy will still say things like "The Verge is biased (against Android)" or "The Verge loves Apple".

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

It's hilarious. The Verge review of the one calls it the "gold-standard" for Android. But the average Android fanboy will still say things like "The Verge is biased (against Android)" or "The Verge loves Apple".

Yeah I don't get it. Just because they also like the iPhone, surely they must be biased. (Even though the iPhone review said that iOS is stale and boring and you can't do as much as you can with android)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Cool. Good thing the comparison was between the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 then.

I don't know why you're forcefully bringing the iPhone into this when the article isn't comparing the S4 to the iPhone. It's comparing the HTC One to the Galaxy S4.

They're saying that HTC One performed faster than the S4. Benchmarks can say whatever they want, but from videos I've seen and impressions I've read, the S4 is laggy.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Cool. Good thing the comparison was between the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 then.

I don't know why you're forcefully bringing the iPhone into this when the article isn't comparing the S4 to the iPhone. It's comparing the HTC One to the Galaxy S4.

They're saying that HTC One performed faster than the S4. Benchmarks can say whatever they want, but from videos I've seen and impressions I've read, the S4 is laggy.

I know but I just had to point it out :)
I don't consider Giz a fair reviewer anyways for anything
I also feel they are biased against Samsung after the Samsung v. Apple trial...but thats just me

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I know but I just had to point it out :)
I don't consider Giz a fair reviewer anyways for anything
I also feel they are biased against Samsung after the Samsung v. Apple trial...but thats just me

It is just you. If anything they've been biased AGAINST apple since they blackballed gizmodo from their press events for life. This is also the same gizmodo that posted at least two dozen stories about antennagate in the span of a week to try and force a story out of it, and routinely posts things that bash various apple products or software for no reason.

I also find it interesting that the only ones that claim Apple bias from a variety of media sources are android fans. Its like they have a chip on their shoulder or an inferiority complex.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Overstew

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

He has a point, the modding community is a very tiny fraction of the entire number of smartphone owners.

This is such an oblivious statement to make. You have no idea how large the modding community is. For example, take a look at the top free/paid apps. Some of them are apps that require root. This should imply that the modding community is larger than people make it out to be.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae