This is why I think the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: This is why the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

My One is a 64 Gig Dev model, so I don't think that will be a problem.

One other difference I noticed between the two: You can pause video on the GS4 and resume, which is very nice. On the One, you can only stop and restart. Recorded audio seems to be louder on the GS4, too.

Are u serious? You can't pause/resume a video??

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site

Are u serious? You can't pause/resume a video??

You can't pause/resume on the One while recording. In all fairness, I rarely see that feature anywhere. The GS4 has it and I used it the other day. It's really nice when you're recording something that happens off and on and want one video. I checked my One and it doesn't do that.

Last edited:

soritong

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I spent a lot of time with the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 going back and forth. I ended up with the Galaxy S4 because of the following:

1) I like having the menu button, replaceable battery and expandable storage.
2) I don't mind TouchWiz
3) I never play music straight from my device, so I don't care about the built in stereo speakers

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I like both phones, I have a one for about a week now and love it but feel like I'm missing out so I ordered a s4 tonight ,benefit to tmobiles upgrade anytime! I may return one of the phones or may keep both! Being new to android! Took off the apple glasses can I easily switch back and forth, I know the SIM yes but will my accounts like Google, dropbox,etc stay synced

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Galaxy S4 Pro Points over the HTC One
- Faster Processor ***DOESNT MATTER WHEN YOUR SOFTWARE DOESN'T FLOW NICLEY
- MicroSD Card slot ***DROPBOX, GOOGLEPLUS, GOOGLE LIVE STREAM, AMAZON CLOUD ETC ETC
- Better Camera - NOT REALLY
- WAY Better camera features (More close to a digital camera) THIS IS FALSE
- Bigger Display - BARELY
- LED Notifier *** FALSE
- Creative features (Dual Shot, Multi Phone Speaker, Air Touch Preview) - USELESS
- Bigger Battery - BARELY
- SwiftKey used for Stock Keyboard - WHO CARES

HTC One Pro Points over Galaxy S4
- Design
- Better front facing camera
- Better stock UI
- ZOE
- BEATS AUDIO
- FRONT FACING SPEAKERS BOOM SOUND
- BLINK FEED
- MORE PIXELS
- BETTER COLORS
- LOWER COST
- FUN FUN FUN

WIN HTC ONE! thanks for sharing :-*

OVERALL WINNER: HTC ONE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am ;)

you are wrong sorry to break your heart. <3

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site

I have both and I am so torn as to which to return.

The One, IMO, is the better device. I like the UI 1000 times better than the GS4 (I think the GS4 phone app was inspired by the movie "The Birdcage"). But the button layout of the One is horrendous. I just dont get why HTC did this. Talking about fixing something that isnt broken by making it worse! To make it even harder to accept, my home button will sometimes stop responding. I have to turn the phone off and then turn it back on to get it to work. On the other hand, the GS4 button layout is great. I happen to really like a physical home button which allows me to wake the phone, unlock it and start using it without having to shift it around in my hand. Think about how many times we turn our phones on a day!

Also, the GS4 has wireless charging coming, which I really liked when I used my Nokia 920. I also like the GS4 for the screen size. These phones are both about the same size, but the screen on the GS4 feels much bigger. Finally, the weight. Everybody rails on the Samsung for their build quality, but I like the fact that this phone is as light as an Iphone. I have an Incipio feather case on it and it looks sweet but still so light I barely know its in my pocket.

Guess there are worse problems to have, but I am really struggling deciding which way to go here. They are both fantastic devices!

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I have both and I am so torn as to which to return.

The One, IMO, is the better device. I like the UI 1000 times better than the GS4 (I think the GS4 phone app was inspired by the movie "The Birdcage"). But the button layout of the One is horrendous. I just dont get why HTC did this. Talking about fixing something that isnt broken by making it worse! To make it even harder to accept, my home button will sometimes stop responding. I have to turn the phone off and then turn it back on to get it to work. On the other hand, the GS4 button layout is great. I happen to really like a physical home button which allows me to wake the phone, unlock it and start using it without having to shift it around in my hand. Think about how many times we turn our phones on a day!

Also, the GS4 has wireless charging coming, which I really liked when I used my Nokia 920. I also like the GS4 for the screen size. These phones are both about the same size, but the screen on the GS4 feels much bigger. Finally, the weight. Everybody rails on the Samsung for their build quality, but I like the fact that this phone is as light as an Iphone. I have an Incipio feather case on it and it looks sweet but still so light I barely know its in my pocket.

Guess there are worse problems to have, but I am really struggling deciding which way to go here. They are both fantastic devices!

I have both devices but after a week gave the One to my 17yr old daughter. To me, the strengths of the One are its look at me materials and design and Boomsound. Both those features mean little to me as I prefer the lighter and more durable build of the GS4 and always use headphones for media. Agree with you completely about the buttons, it was infuriating. Also, coming from a GS3, I like having a large status light that I can tweak to a variety of colors for various notifications. That was not possible on the One. Also, I much prefer FlipBoard(especially with AirView) to BlinkFeed which isnt customizable.

That being said, the One is a great device.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site

I have both devices but after a week gave the One to my 17yr old daughter. To me, the strengths of the One are its look at me materials and design and Boomsound. Both those features mean little to me as I prefer the lighter and more durable build of the GS4 and always use headphones for media. Agree with you completely about the buttons, it was infuriating. Also, coming from a GS3, I like having a large status light that I can tweak to a variety of colors for various notifications. That was not possible on the One. Also, I much prefer FlipBoard(especially with AirView) to BlinkFeed which isnt customizable.

That being said, the One is a great device.

Speaking of Blinkfeed, I actually really liked it. I was able to put in news resources that I liked and having it right next to my default home screen. Whats funny is that I thought it was the dumbest thing ever when they announced it. I also thought boomsound was a waste. I mean, who needs great sounding speakers on a phone, right? But when I first played "earn to die" and the stereo sound was coming right at me, I was like, "THIS IS AMAZING!!". But even though its amazing, I use the feature once in blue moon. I turn the phone on 100 times a day.

I'll have to try flipboard using airview.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

So, I stopped by a Sprint store yesterday after work here in NYC on the corner of 23rd street and Broadway (Flatiron Building) and took a deep, hard and concentrated look/assessment of the HTC One. Guess what......I liked it and bought it!!!

j/k! lol! For MY needs, I just love the over saturated vividness that just pops from the screen of the S4! The HTC is a beautiful phone with pleasing esthetics but thats about it, for me at least!

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site

Speaking of Blinkfeed, I actually really liked it. I was able to put in news resources that I liked and having it right next to my default home screen. Whats funny is that I thought it was the dumbest thing ever when they announced it. I also thought boomsound was a waste. I mean, who needs great sounding speakers on a phone, right? But when I first played "earn to die" and the stereo sound was coming right at me, I was like, "THIS IS AMAZING!!". But even though its amazing, I use the feature once in blue moon. I turn the phone on 100 times a day.

I'll have to try flipboard using airview.

I like the idea of Blinkfeed because I use a widget for almost the same thing (Android Pro Widgets), but the execution leaves something to be desired. Whenever I tap on a Facebook post, it opens the Facebook app and takes me to the post, rather than sandboxing it right there in Blinkfeed and letting me reply to it. It's the same with Twitter. The Facebook app is still slow to load, so this is not ideal. I honestly wish they would do it more like Android Pro Widgets.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I like the idea of Blinkfeed because I use a widget for almost the same thing (Android Pro Widgets), but the execution leaves something to be desired. Whenever I tap on a Facebook post, it opens the Facebook app and takes me to the post, rather than sandboxing it right there in Blinkfeed and letting me reply to it. It's the same with Twitter. The Facebook app is still slow to load, so this is not ideal. I honestly wish they would do it more like Android Pro Widgets.

Agreed, FlipBoard lets you comment, like, tweet etc within FlipBoard itself whereas BlinkFeed takes you to the app and then you have to keep switching back and forth. Good idea, poor execution.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site

I only used it for news. For social networking I stayed with the apps.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site

Yeah, I got you man. Loud and clear.

Im just saying, I only use Blinkfeed/Flipboard for news. So having it integrated into the OS is a good feature. I liked it.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

you are wrong sorry to break your heart. <3

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

No matter how your spin it, cloud storage IS NOT a replacement for an SD card.

Why not?

1. It runs up data and the 2 good networks don't offer unlimited anymore

2. You have to have a connection, so if I'm a bad signal area you may not be able to get anything down or up loaded

3. You can't fast forward nearly as quickly while streaming a movie from the cloud. Skip to the point of the video that you want to watch and wait as it buffers. On a card you just skip to it and go. No problem.

4. 64gb of space is a one time payment of 50$ without any recurring charges or impact on data. Can also be popped in your pc (windows or osx) and transferred quickly. No need to hook the phone up

5. If a server is temporarily down your data isn't there, but with an SD card hope data is always there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Sense 5 > Fisher Price

HTC ONE RUNNING CM10 > Galaxy S4 running CM10

Last edited:

brainfarm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

I went with the S4 for three reasons.

The number one reason that I went with the S4 over the HTC One is the HTC "Beats Audio".

While I appreciate good sound for music, the problems I have had with the Beats Audio put me over the edge. For example, having a powered bluetooth headset sounds TERRIBLE with the audio amplification that Beats provides. I sound like I am a screaming robot on the other end of the line with most modern bluetooth headsets, and I had to go back to an older Plantronics headset or use the wired version. As someone who has to talk quite a bit on my phone for work while I am driving, this was a total deal breaker for me. I have been a huge HTC fan for years (I even liked my Thunderbolt, believe it or not) but the Beats software has given me entirely too many issues to continue down that path.

The second reason is that HTC's sense is significantly better than touchwhiz on the Samsung line, but HTC doesn't make a solid enough tablet yet. And since I use both a tablet and a phone (I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 which is awesome), I prefer to learn all of the idiosyncrasies of one system so I can set my devices up similarly rather than use two interface designs.

And finally.... Samsung seems to be significantly faster with their updates than HTC. Granted, Verizon is the absolute worst at supporting updates, but with the combination of HTC AND Verizon, it can get frustrating as a power user.

I still like HTC and I think that general users will be happy with whatever choice they make, but the S4 was a clear winner for me.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Sense 5 > Fisher Price

HTC ONE RUNNING CM10 > Galaxy S4

CM 10 is a joke.

Why buy a high end phone with high end features only to put a stripped down ROM with stripped down features?

Gs4 capabilities >one capabilities > CM 10 capabilities.

I buy a phone based on how good it is which is judged by what it can do, so why would I buy a highly capable smartphone only to dumb it down?

Especially when I could have just gotten a Nexus 4

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site

CM 10 is a joke.

Why buy a high end phone with high end features only to put a stripped down ROM with stripped down features?

Gs4 capabilities >one capabilities > CM 10 capabilities.

I buy a phone based on how good it is which is judged by what it can do, so why would I buy a highly capable smartphone only to dumb it down?

Especially when I could have just gotten a Nexus 4

This. Why do people buy an HTC One, knowing it has Sense on it, then immediately try to install CM on it, effectively removing all of the features that make it unique (Zoe, Blinkfeed, etc.)? I can understand replacing the launcher, but if all you want is stock Android, get a Nexus. If all of the manufacturers released their phones with stock Android on them, it would be a pretty boring smartphone landscape.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

This is the beauty of Android. There's literally a phone for everyone and you're not stuck with ONE make/model...**cough-Apple-cough**.
Plus, the HTC One really nailed it with their dual stereo speakers located "on the front" of the phone. Personally, I prefer the S4, but the One is a decent device.

tap'n

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC