This is why I think the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: This is why the Galaxy S4 is better than the HTC One

I don't see why you're laughing at the fact that madlaw is choosing to regard speculative, preventative, or precautionary reports, rumors, or theories ? no matter the source or amount of corroborating evidence ? as non-fact.

Hi Patrick. This is NOT based on speculative, preventative, or precautionary reports, rumors, or theories. Yes, they do not have a crystal ball, but there are real world ways to determine if sales of a product is falling. One is called supply and demand. If there is such a demand for the s4 then tell me, why is samsung cutting way back on its production? Let's start there. Are you suggesting that people are begging for this phone but samsung just doesn't want to produce it? Samsung does NOT operate in a vacuum. No company does. There are real world ways to determine demand for a product.

t until a definitive statement is made by Samsung (or another company closely and directly involved with the S4), we don't have an accurate picture of how the S4 is performing as a product on a global (or otherwise market-representative) scale.
Let me ask you a serious question Patrick. What, exactly, do you think analyst like those at JP Morgan do? They are not wildly guessing. They take many things into account, things that the common person is not privy to. One of them is supply chain checks, but there are many others. Some people don't want to hear that the s4 is not selling well. I get that. But sooner or later they are going to have to face facts. BTW, none of them have explained why samsung would cut way back on production if there was such a "high demand" for the product. When the new quarterly report comes out then everyone here will know what samsung already knows.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It's a different Exynos SoC though. I'm not sure, does the E5 Octa support LTE?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Octa does not, but the Exynos 4412 which is in the At&t Note 2 does support LTE. From the post I quoted It seemed they were referring to all Exynos processors not supporting LTE which is why the US versions often get Qualcomm processors. Just trying to maintain accuracy.

I can remember the flame wars over the snapdragon versus the exynos with the Galaxy S3. I saw something on the snapdragon 800 and it looks very strong. I guess we have moved on from trying to put down qualcomm processors.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Octa does not but the Exynos 4412 which is in the At&t Note 2 does support LTE. From the post I quoted It seemed they were referring to all Exynos processors not supporting LTE which is why the US versions often get Qualcomm processors. Just trying to maintain accuracy.

Yeah, it did seem that they were referring to all Exynos chipsets, but the point being made was about the S4, and that's accurate (ignoring the dual-core mistake).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Hi Patrick. This is NOT based on speculative, preventative, or precautionary reports, rumors, or theories. Yes, they do not have a crystal ball, but there are real world ways to determine if sales of a product is falling.

Well evidenced forecasting is still theory until real historical data is available. What you're describing is that there is a high probability, according to these sources, which you trust, that the S4 is not selling well. That could be correct, but data is open to interpretation and as more information becomes available the analysts may amend their forecasts, for better or worse.

Out of curiosity, what is with all of the random font size changes, etc?

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site

Well evidenced forecasting is still theory until real historical data is available.
No it's not. Real historical data is one of the tools that they use. The JP Morgan report never says what the final sales figures will be. They are only stating that sales are falling. No theories there. You are correct that analysts may amend their forecasts, for better or worse. When and IF that ever happens then the report will be announced.

Out of curiosity, what is with all of the random font size changes, etc?
I prefer Verdana as it is less blurry and simply looks better on my Samsung TV :-*

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

No it's not. Real historical data is one of the tools that they use. The JP Morgan report never says what the final sales figures will be. They are only stating that sales are falling. No theories there. You are correct that analysts may amend their forecasts, for better or worse. When and IF that ever happens then the report will be announced.

Why it's Best to Ignore Analysts' 'Best Picks'

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 72007

I saw your comparison spreadsheet at the bottom of your signature. Are those your scores? The Nexus 4 does nothing better than the S4, IMO. I owned the Nexus 4 from January until I sold it a few weeks ago...not even close in my opinion...In fact the S3 was probably better than the Nexus 4 in my experience. Do you or have you owned the HTC One or S4?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I saw your comparison spreadsheet at the bottom of your signature. Are those your scores? The Nexus 4 does nothing better than the S4. I owned the Nexus 4 from January until I sold it a few weeks ago...not even close in my opinion...In fact the S3 was probably better than the Nexus 4 in my experience. Do you or have you owned the HTC One or S4?

On the Internals category, the S4 did win, then the One then the N4. The One won exterior and the N4 won on Software and Price.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
On the Internals category, the S4 did win, then the One then the N4. The One won exterior and the N4 won on Software and Price.

Yeah looks like some numbers were fudged on highly subjective things so the One could eek out a win. A point here and there and it still could barely beat the S4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah looks like some numbers were fudged on highly subjective things so the One could eek out a win. A point here and there and it still could barely beat the S4.

Right, it'd also be very easy to add more categories if everything is out of 10 and change the scores. Such as... ease of repairs, accessory availability, etc. I believe that's meant to represent what he considers for comparisons, not what everyone should consider. And obviously some people would rate things differently, etc.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Even though the numbers turned out in the order I believe the phones to be, I actually put no bias in those scores (or at least tried not to). Sometimes, I actually noticed "oh, I was a little too easy on the N4 here" so on another category I balanced it out by being easier on the One or the S4. Another thing you might notice is that the phones would be perfectly tied were price not taken into account. :p

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Right, it'd also be very easy to add more categories if everything is out of 10 and change the scores. Such as... ease of repairs, accessory availability, etc. I believe that's meant to represent what he considers for comparisons, not what everyone should consider. And obviously some people would rate things differently, etc.

Agreed!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Even though the numbers turned out in the order I believe the phones to be, I actually put no bias in those scores. Sometimes, I actually noticed "oh, I was a little too easy on the N4 here" so on another category I balanced it out by being easier on the One or the S4. Another thing you might notice is that the phones would be perfectly tied were price not taken into account. :p

I hear you. I would rate them differently at least on the Nexus 4 and S4 since I owned them both. Your spreadsheet your scores! Just thought it was interesting. I would give the Nexus 4 camera a 3 or 4. In fact, I really liked my N4 until one day the camera really failed me. It is what prompted me to dump it for the S4.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Also, could you point out what categories in specific you thought were highly subjective? I agree that some were; I'd just like to know which ones I could adjust or take into account.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I hear you. I would rate them differently at least on the Nexus 4 and S4 since I owned them both. Your spreadsheet your scores! Just thought it was interesting.

That would be cool if we all made our own spreadsheets so we could see each others' scores :D

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
In fact, I really liked my N4 until one day the camera really failed me. It is what prompted me to dump it for the S4.

I've seen some really good pictures from N4s, but in retrospect, same with the One and S4. I'll adjust the camera score (though not that low :p).

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Patrick. This is NOT based on speculative, preventative, or precautionary reports, rumors, or theories. Yes, they do not have a crystal ball, but there are real world ways to determine if sales of a product is falling. One is called supply and demand. If there is such a demand for the s4 then tell me, why is samsung cutting way back on its production? Let's start there. Are you suggesting that people are begging for this phone but samsung just doesn't want to produce it? Samsung does NOT operate in a vacuum. No company does. There are real world ways to determine demand for a product.

Let me ask you a serious question Patrick. What, exactly, do you think analyst like those at JP Morgan do? They are not wildly guessing. They take many things into account, things that the common person is not privy to. One of them is supply chain checks, but there are many others. Some people don't want to hear that the s4 is not selling well. I get that. But sooner or later they are going to have to face facts. BTW, none of them have explained why samsung would cut way back on production if there was such a "high demand" for the product. When the new quarterly report comes out then everyone here will know what samsung already knows.

I'm not doubting the validity of those statements or sources, and I'm very much aware of how analysts come to form their conclusions. Regardless of the fact that the reports are based on information that is likely to be reliable, if a user chooses to regard and interpret these reports in a different manner than you, all I ask is that we be respectful of it.

I'm always open to private messages as well.