06-21-2013 08:56 PM
341 123 ...
tools
    Galaxy S4 Pro Points over the HTC One
    - Faster Processor ***
    - MicroSD Card slot ***
    - Better Camera
    - WAY Better camera features (More close to a digital camera)
    - Bigger Display
    - LED Notifier ***
    - Creative features (Dual Shot, Multi Phone Speaker, Air Touch Preview)
    - Bigger Battery
    - SwiftKey used for Stock Keyboard

HTC One Pro Points over Galaxy S4
    - Design
    - Better front facing camera
    - Better stock UI

OVERALL WINNER: Samsung Galaxy S4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am

UPDATE
    Title Changed
    03-15-2013 11:33 AM
    Processor is negligible. Personally don't care for MicroSD. Camera better based on what? One doesn't have LED notifier? It should be like my One X where the LED is in the speaker grill. Saw it in one of the pics. Creative features are mostly gimmicks for me. Bigger battery doesn't mean better battery life.

If you're happy with the S4, great, but HTC One all the way for me.
    03-15-2013 11:40 AM
    I think we will have to wait for more in depth reviews. I do not think the s4 pro out performs the 600.

Anyways, I think the One will be more competition than the one x was for the s3. Of course this is a samsung forum so the answers could be in favor of the s4. Post this on the HTC one board to see what comes out...I am just on the sidelines loving my Note 2 and Nexus 4 for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Aquila likes this.
    03-15-2013 11:43 AM
    - Faster Processor ***
    - MicroSD Card slot ***
    - Better Camera
    - Bigger Display
    - LED Notifier ***
    - Bigger Battery

- Design
    - Better stock UI

i dunno, i think alot of devs are moving towards the htc one on xda. it's a heck of a good deal to get the dev edition, sim unlocked for only $649 with 64gb sd storage. most of the so called upgrades to the s4 are just gimmicky software.
    03-15-2013 11:44 AM
    I think we'll have to wait and see which has the better camera in my opinion. Ultrapixel maybe the new thing that all manufacturers jump onto or it may be all hype. But from what I've seen the HTC One camera has very nice quality and any differences between the quality of these two may come down to software enhancements on the phones.
    03-15-2013 11:46 AM
    how about removable battery? I don't know if you can remove the battery from the HTC One because you could not for the HTC Evo. If that's the case, I prefer the s4 by a long shot.
    03-15-2013 11:48 AM
    I think we'll have to wait and see which has the better camera in my opinion. Ultrapixel maybe the new thing that all manufacturers jump onto or it may be all hype. But from what I've seen the HTC One camera has very nice quality and any differences between the quality of these two may come down to software enhancements on the phones.
    i barely use the camera on my phones so it doesn't matter to me. no cell phone will ever replace using a professional camera to take photos.
    03-15-2013 11:51 AM
    i barely use the camera on my phones so it doesn't matter to me. no cell phone will ever replace using a professional camera to take photos.
    Yes but a phone camera is so much more convenient. Last week on spring break I took and uploaded over 100 shots of my family having fun etc to the cloud. My wife took her Canon 60D and I think she broke it out once.

No argument of the quality of pics but the phones take pretty good pics and life just gets in the way of lugging a slr around. And I have not even mentioned 1080p video...just my 2 cent s.

03-15-2013 11:57 AM
    I love it when people argue about phones that aren't even available yet.

BTW, isn't the One supposed to drop this month?
    03-15-2013 11:59 AM
    i dunno, i think alot of devs are moving towards the htc one on xda. it's a heck of a good deal to get the dev edition, sim unlocked for only $649 with 64gb sd storage. most of the so called upgrades to the s4 are just gimmicky software.
    They may be Gimmicks, but it would definitely be more useful that most people think it would....Dual Shot Vido chatting...instead of always switching back and forth between cameras....I think its a creative use of bothe cameras...surprised it hasnt been though of before

I think more people are leaning towards the HTC One because of the design
    03-15-2013 12:38 PM
    They may be Gimmicks, but it would definitely be more useful that most people think it would....Dual Shot Vido chatting...instead of always switching back and forth between cameras....I think its a creative use of bothe cameras...surprised it hasnt been though of before

I think more people are leaning towards the HTC One because of the design
    the funny thing is most of the power users will just put aosp on the phone anyways so you loose all of those gimmicks.
    03-15-2013 12:41 PM
    Processor is negligible. Personally don't care for MicroSD. Camera better based on what? One doesn't have LED notifier? It should be like my One X where the LED is in the speaker grill. Saw it in one of the pics. Creative features are mostly gimmicks for me. Bigger battery doesn't mean better battery life.

- Trust me if u used a MicroSD Card you would be much more satisfided than using phone storage....Could easily back up quickly incase you want to do a factory reset
    - Camera Based on quality...The HTC One Screen may be better, but overall photos, when tranfered to a PC would be better with a GS4
    - Creative features are actually useful...Dual Shot video chatting...instead of always switching back and forth between cameras...imagine if Skype used this..WIN!
    - Bigger Battery supports better battery life, but it all depends on how the phone is used
    03-15-2013 12:41 PM
    the funny thing is most of the power users will just put aosp on the phone anyways so you loose all of those gimmicks.
    Lol yeah thats true
    MERCDROID likes this.
    03-15-2013 12:42 PM

the one has a led notifier, it's in the top speaker grille. even phil confirmed this.
    03-15-2013 12:44 PM
    - Faster Processor ***
    - MicroSD Card slot ***
    - Better Camera
    - Bigger Display
    - LED Notifier ***
    - Bigger Battery

- Design
    - Better stock UI

Yeah you're wrong. Most of the stuff you listed there is debatable. Very debatable. The only two I'm going to give you are:

Battery: But we'll see how each phone lasts in rundown tests, so this may not be a win

SD Card: For which my answer is that nobody really gives a flying F, except the smartphone forum parrots who keep simply repeating whatever happens to be cool that year (apparently everyone is too minimum wage to afford a real camera this year as well judging by forum parroting?). Apple hasn't had a "remuviblke battry and Sd C4rdz" for years and nobody gives a crap.

The rest of your points are either a wash, or could be countered by things the One has a leg-up on.
    Sir1, robcassman, bp3dots and 4 others like this.
    03-15-2013 01:25 PM
    Probably less than 1% of S4 owners will do that.
    03-15-2013 01:49 PM
    Probably less than 1% of S4 owners will do that.
    i beg to differ.
    03-15-2013 01:53 PM
    Not everything is a wash. The same Snapdragon 600 is being used in the US versions of the S4, but clocked at 1.9ghz instead of 1.7ghz on the One. The Octa Exynos might be an even better performer, so either way the processor is going to be better in the S4. The creative features (while some may not be as useful as others) are superior on the S4. The screen is bigger (though it being better is subjective). It has a removable battery, which for anyone who uses their phone for any length of time during the day will appreciate. It ships with Android 4.2.2 instead of the same 4.1.2 that the Droid DNA runs; not sure the excuse there for HTC. Lastly, I think dev support is going to be far beyond what HTC gets because the difference in sales is going to be ridiculous. All that is in addition to what was stated above. If you don't like plastic, then the S4 isn't for you, but that doesn't make the HTC One a better phone because it's built with more premium materials. It's a phone, not a piece of jewelry. It's what it can do that counts.
    03-15-2013 01:58 PM
    - Faster Processor ***
    - MicroSD Card slot ***
    - Better Camera
    - Bigger Display
    - LED Notifier ***
    - Bigger Battery

- Design
    - Better stock UI

-.2ghz is negligible... Any benefit remains to be seen. I'd take the Snapdragon 600 at 1.7 ghz (ala One) or 1.9 ghz over the Exynos Octa
    -Better camera? lol. No possible way to tell at this point in time.
    -"Features"... Define that, will you? Almost none of those look to be actually useful or perform well in the real world
    -Bigger display and microSD are fair
    -LED Notifier... what do you mean by that?
    -More "features"... see above
    -Bigger battery - Real world battery life remains to be seen. Between two different phones a difference of 300mah isn't enough to draw any reasonable conclusion from
    -Is it really stock? Or are they just incorporating some Swiftkey features into the stock keyboard? Either way, gonna get Swiftkey 4 on any new phone I get asap.

The HTC One has a build quality within another stratosphere, most likely a much, much better screen, and most likely better speakers and mic. I'd take Sense 5 over Touchwiz any day of the week.

So according to me, you're factually wrong (SARCASM ALERT)
    robcassman and droidman2177 like this.
    03-15-2013 01:59 PM
    i beg to differ.
    He has a point, the modding community is a very tiny fraction of the entire number of smartphone owners.
    03-15-2013 02:00 PM
    He has a point, the modding community is a very tiny fraction of the entire number of smartphone owners.
    not as small as it used to be.
    03-15-2013 02:01 PM
    i beg to differ.
    Let's take the GS3 sales figures and say that the GS4 sells the same amount of phones (which I think they will sell more). 1% of 40 million is 400,000. You think there will be more than 400,000 users that will not just put a custom ROM on there, but specifically AOSP? 400,000 AOSP installs on the GS4? I highly doubt it.

You have to keep in mind that users on Android Central make up a VERY tiny minority of the general public. Most people won't even use a third-party launcher, much less figure out how to root and install a custom ROM.
    03-15-2013 02:10 PM
    Let's take the GS3 sales figures and say that the GS4 sells the same amount of phones (which I think they will sell more). 1% of 40 million is 400,000. You think there will be more than 400,000 users that will not just put a custom ROM on there, but specifically AOSP. 400,000 AOSP installs on the GS4? I highly doubt it.
    Every time this argument has come up at XDA, you can usually find a survey quoted from somewhere on the web that puts the number of modders out of total android smartphone owners worldwide at around 2%. Real life anecdotal analogies tend to support this. If you take any large community, for example a large workplace, you'll find that there will perhaps be about 1 or 2 of you into doing so. If I take my workplace of around 1000 people, there are about 6 of us that are "techie geeks". Out of those 6, I'm the only one who unlocks/roots his android and there's 2 other guys who jailbreak their iPhones. That's actually 10x less than commonly quoted numbers.
    03-15-2013 02:16 PM
    Yes but a phone camera is so much more convenient. Last week on spring break I took and uploaded over 100 shots of my family having fun etc to the cloud. My wife took her Canon 60D and I think she broke it out once.

No argument of the quality of pics but the phones take pretty good pics and life just gets in the way of lugging a slr around. And I have not even mentioned 1080p video...just my 2 cent s.

For me is the convenience of the phone that makes it better. I take a lot of pictures with my phone whenever I travel; for example, this weekend I went to Vegas and I took a lot of pictures with my phone. For me it is easier than carrying a camera.
    03-15-2013 02:33 PM
    For me is the convenience of the phone that makes it better. I take a lot of pictures with my phone whenever I travel; for example, this weekend I went to Vegas and I took a lot of pictures with my phone. For me it is easier than carrying a camera.
    Sure it's easier nobody's disputing that. But the quality between a phone camera and a DSLR is massive. I spent $10k on my trip to the Greek islands with my family last year and there's no way in he11 I would trust those memories to a point and click phone camera. Unlike you, my phone barely left my suitcase, but my DSLR was with me everywhere.
    03-15-2013 02:41 PM
341 123 ...